MN-500 Not transmitting?

I have had MN-500 for about 1 1/2 years with no probs. 2 weeks ago none of
the wireless adaptors could sense the network. My base station says
everything is fine. I have soft and hard reset the router. The management
tool does not sense any other computers on the network, but my computer (as
base station computer) connects fine to internet. Am I to suppose that the
router no longer sends out a signal to the wireless adaptors and I am now to
get a new one? 1 1/2 years and the router is obsolete? Someone please help me
find a simple solution, the four others computers in our house are dead and
everyone wants to use my computer. HALP! What have I overlooked? I have
changed the cables to the router, I have changed the channel numerous times,
I have changed the WEP key, all to no avail. It now looks like someone else
posted a similar situation a few weeks ago here, but no one responded. Does
anyone know if these routers die this quickly? or am I the klutz in
overlooking something really obvious?
4 answers Last reply
More about transmitting

    OK, this is too weird???? Same probem, same diag, same results
    MN-500 about 1-1/2-2 y/o, all diags say all is OK, but seems no signal from
    base being transmitted.

    "Segue3" wrote:

    > I have had MN-500 for about 1 1/2 years with no probs. 2 weeks ago none of
    > the wireless adaptors could sense the network. My base station says
    > everything is fine. I have soft and hard reset the router. The management
    > tool does not sense any other computers on the network, but my computer (as
    > base station computer) connects fine to internet. Am I to suppose that the
    > router no longer sends out a signal to the wireless adaptors and I am now to
    > get a new one? 1 1/2 years and the router is obsolete? Someone please help me
    > find a simple solution, the four others computers in our house are dead and
    > everyone wants to use my computer. HALP! What have I overlooked? I have
    > changed the cables to the router, I have changed the channel numerous times,
    > I have changed the WEP key, all to no avail. It now looks like someone else
    > posted a similar situation a few weeks ago here, but no one responded. Does
    > anyone know if these routers die this quickly? or am I the klutz in
    > overlooking something really obvious?

    I have also had the same problem. What is really weird is that I set up a
    wireless network for one of my co-workers. Last week out of the blue it
    stopped working. Same symptoms. I tried everything from reset to factory
    defaults and reconfiguring. Hard wired connections work fine. I thought, ok
    maybe wireless went bad and replaced it. Now a week later mine is having the
    same symptoms. Too much of a coincidence to have this same thing happen this
    close to each other.

    See Post "MN-500 suddenly stopped transmitting"
    P.S. MS replaced it.
    copied from other post:
    Well, we need to give props to QY. THANK YOU!!, MS is also sending me a new
    one. funny thing, they never asked how old the unit was, when or where it was
    purchased, they just went down a list of diags (boring, been there, done
    that) and finally decided to replace it, they also said they do not want the
    old one back. OK so I leave it connected to the network and use it as
    router/hub. Once again THANKS QY.

    "Segue3" wrote:

    > I have had MN-500 for about 1 1/2 years with no probs. 2 weeks ago none of
    > the wireless adaptors could sense the network. My base station says
    > everything is fine. I have soft and hard reset the router. The management
    > tool does not sense any other computers on the network, but my computer (as
    > base station computer) connects fine to internet. Am I to suppose that the
    > router no longer sends out a signal to the wireless adaptors and I am now to
    > get a new one? 1 1/2 years and the router is obsolete? Someone please help me
    > find a simple solution, the four others computers in our house are dead and
    > everyone wants to use my computer. HALP! What have I overlooked? I have
    > changed the cables to the router, I have changed the channel numerous times,
    > I have changed the WEP key, all to no avail. It now looks like someone else
    > posted a similar situation a few weeks ago here, but no one responded. Does
    > anyone know if these routers die this quickly? or am I the klutz in
    > overlooking something really obvious?

    Thanks Rickiac for the heads up. I just placed that phone call to microsoft
    and spent about 1 1/2 hours having them confirm what I told them in the first
    place. Microsoft is now sending me a new router also. Now that's what I call
    Nordstrom level service. I was reluctantly going to buy one on eBay for a
    total of about $35 after shipping costs) and swearing to myself that I would
    never buy another Microsoft hardware product. This note came just in time.
    Thanks Rickiac and Microsoft for the follow-through

    "Rickiac" wrote:

    > See Post "MN-500 suddenly stopped transmitting"
    > P.S. MS replaced it.
    > copied from other post:
    > Well, we need to give props to QY. THANK YOU!!, MS is also sending me a new
    > one. funny thing, they never asked how old the unit was, when or where it was
    > purchased, they just went down a list of diags (boring, been there, done
    > that) and finally decided to replace it, they also said they do not want the
    > old one back. OK so I leave it connected to the network and use it as
    > router/hub. Once again THANKS QY.
    >
    > "Segue3" wrote:
    >
    > > I have had MN-500 for about 1 1/2 years with no probs. 2 weeks ago none of
    > > the wireless adaptors could sense the network. My base station says
    > > everything is fine. I have soft and hard reset the router. The management
    > > tool does not sense any other computers on the network, but my computer (as
    > > base station computer) connects fine to internet. Am I to suppose that the
    > > router no longer sends out a signal to the wireless adaptors and I am now to
    > > get a new one? 1 1/2 years and the router is obsolete? Someone please help me
    > > find a simple solution, the four others computers in our house are dead and
    > > everyone wants to use my computer. HALP! What have I overlooked? I have
    > > changed the cables to the router, I have changed the channel numerous times,
    > > I have changed the WEP key, all to no avail. It now looks like someone else
    > > posted a similar situation a few weeks ago here, but no one responded. Does
    > > anyone know if these routers die this quickly? or am I the klutz in
    > > overlooking something really obvious?

Routers Networking