Sign in with
Your question

Avi video files stuttering.

Last response: in Windows 7
June 23, 2010 9:31:27 PM

Hi guys,

Does anyone know why there is stuttering on the playback of .avi files in Windows 7? It happens on both Windows Media Player and VLC Player.

Can Cool & Quiet cause this? This doesn't seem to happen on .mp4 files though.

Cheers.
June 26, 2010 7:14:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any codec packs installed, that's the thing. Wait...I guess the only thing that has changed recently is that I updated my ATI drivers....do you think that could be it?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 27, 2010 10:26:42 PM

PoisonWolf said:
Hi guys,

Does anyone know why there is stuttering on the playback of .avi files in Windows 7? It happens on both Windows Media Player and VLC Player.

Can Cool & Quiet cause this? This doesn't seem to happen on .mp4 files though.

Cheers.

Does it happen on every .avi file? Did this begin after your ATI driver update?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team
June 29, 2010 11:48:50 PM

Hi Jessica,

Yeah, from what I'm seeing, it now appears on every .avi file. It'll skip for like half a second then resume playing. I can't seem to fathom why this is the case as it has never done anything like this before. I can't say for certain if it was before or after the ATI update, but I know that is probably the most significant change I've made to the computer recently.

I'll be reformating my computer soon, so I guess I won't be able to find out what caused it. If it's still there after the reformat + driver updates, I'm going to guess it's something to do with the latest driver.

Cheers.
!