PCI-EX account for 25% of shipments. Oh, Really?!?

CP technologies, makers of Powercolor and Club3D cards, says they expect the cards to account for 20-25% of their shipments this year. That's pretty ambitious adoption for somethng that will miss about 25% of the year itself even if they do hit stores by the end of March.

<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040303162149.html" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040303162149.html</A>

80% by 2005, also seems a little high, but perhaps Powercolor thinks they'll corner the enthusiast market left behind by Hercules' departure......
HAha! Yeah, Right! :lol:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
In other words, they expect a quarter of us to ditch our current systems and buy new MoBo's and cards sometime during the next 8 months. And this is only for powercolor ! that not to mention all teh other card makers out there as well expecting us to buy there products. Media hype, hell if we added it all up form ALL the card makers, and calculated there projections for the rest of this year, we would have to ditch our cards 4 or 5 times in order to make there Sums work.

And knowing Powercolor, it will be an agp card with a bolt on PCI-EX extension.

As long as their shareholders believe it I suppose that's all that matters.

Gary

<font color=red>AMD 2700 XP<font color=red>
<font color=red>Gecube 9800 pro Extreme<font color=red>
<font color=blue>ASUS A7N8X deluxe<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>1024 meg Dual Channel DDR 3200<font color=blue>

Yeah, I plan on ditching my MOBO shortly after the 939 sockets are available w/ PPCI-EX support (and hopefully some other goodies), but I also plan on avoiding Powercolor like the plague, unless there is a change of management/focus/quality/service, and people come back with VERY positive initial feedback from the R420 series. And of course as long as the NV40 doesn't seem far superior.

I think it would be realistic if the cards were available and had been in the sales stream for long enough to actually have sales for the whole year.

I think that even if they had sufficient previews/reviews in Dec., and started selling Jan.1, they would still be hard pressed to meet 25% by year's end, unless as I said, they become a principle supplier, outselling most if not all of their competition.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

pauldh

Illustrious
Well, they were just stating PCI-EX will 25% of their output. Being as it is well known their AGP cards suck for the most part, maybe it's possible. Oh wait, what will these cards cost? HMM I doubt, I would trust them with expensive cards if I steer clear of them even on cheap cards now. :wink:

But it sounds like in some areas, choices are so limited maybe people are almost forced to buy these things? Maybe not. OK then, maybe they are being overly optimistic afterall.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

pauldh

Illustrious
Who knows what these new cards will be named. I bet PC will put out a crappy EZ version or something similar to try and capture the uneducated buyer market. Of course they will have to compete to overtake PCX 4300's market share.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Yeah the Powercolor R9300SE on PCI-EX, be on the bleeding edge of technology for only $249US! :evil: