Shipping games - Freight class / NMFC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've shipped a number of games in the past few years and never had a
problem until recently. I use Watkins Motor Lines (with a 65% discount) and
freight class 92. I've never listed a "NMFC Item Number" on any of my
shipping documents. I list games as "Used electric amusement device" - vague
but accurate.

On my latest shipment, a Spy Hunter cockpit, (600 lbs!) Watkins changed my
freight class from 92 to 125, which resulted a $69.71 additional charge.
When I called them, they rep said it was because I had noNMFC number listed.
I was told that a Watkins inspection person probably found a number that
vaguely matched my description and assigned it to my shipment. She said that
if I could provde them a corrected number, I might be able to get the bil
changed.

Can anyone share a proper NMFC number that matches my product description
and is lower than class 125? What description should I use in the future to
avoid trouble?

Thanks,
Awol
awol [AT) i-hacked (D0T] com

Awol [AT] i-hacked [D0T] com wrote:
> I've shipped a number of games in the past few years and never had a
> problem until recently. I use Watkins Motor Lines (with a 65% discount) and
> freight class 92. I've never listed a "NMFC Item Number" on any of my
> shipping documents. I list games as "Used electric amusement device" - vague
> but accurate.
>
> On my latest shipment, a Spy Hunter cockpit, (600 lbs!) Watkins changed my
> freight class from 92 to 125, which resulted a $69.71 additional charge.
> When I called them, they rep said it was because I had noNMFC number listed.
> I was told that a Watkins inspection person probably found a number that
> vaguely matched my description and assigned it to my shipment. She said that
> if I could provde them a corrected number, I might be able to get the bil
> changed.
>
> Can anyone share a proper NMFC number that matches my product description
> and is lower than class 125? What description should I use in the future to
> avoid trouble?
>

> Thanks,
> Awol
> awol [AT) i-hacked (D0T] com

125 is the freight class for video games.

I thought it was 100? Could someone else verify?
John

This debate never seems to get settled. I've shipped them all different
classes. 100 seems to be safe, and isnt too expensive.

"Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I thought it was 100? Could someone else verify?
> John

I talked with Robyn Pigg at freightquote.com, and she looked it up in
her book and said 100. You can call her at 800-323-5441 x1248
-Tim

mudmantim wrote:
> I talked with Robyn Pigg at freightquote.com, and she looked it up in
> her book and said 100. You can call her at 800-323-5441 x1248
> -Tim

What is the NMFC number she came up with? I just went through this
while trying to ship out a couple Camco rotary index units. Try to
explain what those are to someone at a freight company. We finally
came up with a number for "gear drive motor and associated apparatus"
and came up with freight class 70. Works for me.

I had a quote for an empty galaga cab freom arcadeshop sahipped to
western Canada. 279 for class 100, 385 for class 125.

Its all in the wording...

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:56:01 -0800, Bret Pehrson <bret@classicade.com>
wrote:

>Awol [AT] i-hacked [D0T] com wrote:
>> I've shipped a number of games in the past few years and never had a
>> problem until recently. I use Watkins Motor Lines (with a 65% discount) and
>> freight class 92. I've never listed a "NMFC Item Number" on any of my
>> shipping documents. I list games as "Used electric amusement device" - vague
>> but accurate.
>>
>> On my latest shipment, a Spy Hunter cockpit, (600 lbs!) Watkins changed my
>> freight class from 92 to 125, which resulted a $69.71 additional charge.
>> When I called them, they rep said it was because I had noNMFC number listed.
>> I was told that a Watkins inspection person probably found a number that
>> vaguely matched my description and assigned it to my shipment. She said that
>> if I could provde them a corrected number, I might be able to get the bil
>> changed.
>>
>> Can anyone share a proper NMFC number that matches my product description
>> and is lower than class 125? What description should I use in the future to
>> avoid trouble?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Awol
>> awol [AT) i-hacked (D0T] com
>>

>125 is the freight class for video games.

She didn't mention a number. She looked for a couple minutes and said
that coin operated video games are a 100.
I mentioned that a lot of people, me included, see different classes
used for them. And she said that as far as they are concerned, since
that is in her book, whenever I was to ship anything, use freight class
100.
But 70 looks really nice to me.
I will e-mail her to confirm this and ask her about the NMFC number.
-Tim

Got her reply, here it is:

The freight class depends on the deminsions. I will need the length x
width x height to determine that. The NMFC number is 84180. That
number identifies what the freight actually is. And yes, it must be on
all of our Bill's of Lading or BOL's. If you ever need an NMFC just
call me and I can get you that information. Were you needing to ship
an arcade game?

-Tim