Improving LAN txfer rate?

Im doing drive image backups over a 100baseT LAN using Norton Ghost from a
PC P4 w/XP to a network storage device.
Looks like the transfer rate over LAN is about 25 Megbit/s and LAN shows 25%
utilization and CPU aboutr 50%. Drive is only being accessed about 1/3 the
time so drive is not limiting the data transfer.

Is 25 Mbit/s about the best one can reasonably expect to get on a 100 baseT?
Even at that rate, a 44 Gig backup can take a few hours.

Are there ways to easily tweek the LAN to get significant transfer rate
performance improvements? Or is 25% utilization the best I should expect
on a 100mb/s LAN?

Any tips appreciated.

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Im doing drive image backups over a 100baseT LAN using Norton Ghost from a
> PC P4 w/XP to a network storage device.
> Looks like the transfer rate over LAN is about 25 Megbit/s and LAN shows
> 25% utilization and CPU aboutr 50%. Drive is only being accessed about
> 1/3 the time so drive is not limiting the data transfer.
>
> Is 25 Mbit/s about the best one can reasonably expect to get on a 100
> baseT? Even at that rate, a 44 Gig backup can take a few hours.
>
> Are there ways to easily tweek the LAN to get significant transfer rate
> performance improvements? Or is 25% utilization the best I should expect
> on a 100mb/s LAN?
>
> Any tips appreciated.

if you are using a managed switch, it could well be a duplexing issue. I
have seen time and time again when a NIC tries to AUTO negotiate a
connection with a switch that is is set for 100Full. The nic usually ends up
with 100HalfDuplex. And ther result is about 20% (not counting the protocol
overhead) of what you would normally expect.

If you have a 100BT Hub (specifically NOT a switch), give that a try and see
what it does for you.

- NuTs

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Im doing drive image backups over a 100baseT LAN using Norton Ghost from a
>PC P4 w/XP to a network storage device.

Yeah, Ghost isn't very fast. It doesn't use (AFAICT) any advanced ATA
modes, so you're stuck with ATA0, which is something like ATA/16. I
know you wouldn't want to do this full time, but try it without
compression...

Using Ghost 9 I just imaged my C: drive to the second hard drive. 3157 MB of
data in 94 seconds which is 34 MB/sec. Admittedly no compression was used
but it's a good speed. It's 11 times the speed quoted by jtsnow.

Brian

> Yeah, Ghost isn't very fast. It doesn't use (AFAICT) any advanced ATA
> modes, so you're stuck with ATA0, which is something like ATA/16. I
> know you wouldn't want to do this full time, but try it without
> compression...

[I wrote]
"Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> top-posted:
>Using Ghost 9 I just imaged my C: drive to the second hard drive. 3157 MB of
>data in 94 seconds which is 34 MB/sec. Admittedly no compression was used
>but it's a good speed. It's 11 times the speed quoted by jtsnow.

Yeah, but we still don't know if the OP was using Ghost Enterprise
with a server or Personal with cables or TCP master/slave. The TCP
stuff is _really_ slow!

Using 100baseT LAN I get around 60 mbps transferring an image and 12 mbps
over a wireless network.

Brian

"Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Using 100baseT LAN I get around 60 mbps transferring an image and 12 mbps
> over a wireless network.
>
> Brian

12Mb/s over wireless? Which spec? B or G ?

I havent benchmarked G, but B is good for about 5.5Mb/s sustained, and can
occasionally burst to 6.6Mb/s.

> Using Ghost 9 I just imaged my C: drive to the second hard drive. 3157 MB
> of data in 94 seconds which is 34 MB/sec. Admittedly no compression was
> used but it's a good speed. It's 11 times the speed quoted by jtsnow.
>

> Brian

using 100TX, or 1000TX ?

Not LAN. HD to HD.

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Using Ghost 9 I just imaged my C: drive to the second hard drive. 3157 MB
>> of data in 94 seconds which is 34 MB/sec. Admittedly no compression was
>> used but it's a good speed. It's 11 times the speed quoted by jtsnow.
>>

>> Brian
>
> using 100TX, or 1000TX ?

Super G. I'm not impressed with its speed. 12 to 14 mbps is the average
speed between computers in the same room. From the advertising I thought
I'd get something like 30 mbps, but no. Beaming to a computer downstairs,
through the edge of a concrete slab and two brick walls, I get 8 mbps which
seems OK for the conditions. Has anyone done testing on their Super G speed?