Solved

Laptop Battery problems?

A few months ago I was having trouble with my laptop's battery, it is pretty low (~7 min battery life), but the problem was that even when connected it would not always charge.

I had to orient it in exactly the right position (which was prone to change) whenever I wanted to get it working, and eventually it would not charge at all.

That was not the only thing wrong though, the charger was nearly severed and to charge I had to touch the wire to itself creating sparks and leaving whatever room I was in smelling of smoke.

I decided that it was the charger, not the battery that was the problem, and bought a new charger, which seemed to solve all my problems, until just last week I began experiencing the same symptoms that nearly my laptop months ago.

The problem is currently in infantile stages, and I can use my laptop fine, but that's just how it started before, I only need to adjust the cord a bit and it's fine.

Thanks,

Diego

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/4/2012, 23:30:09
Machine name: DIEGO-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: M-6850FX
BIOS: BIOS Version 89.22
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 1741MB used, 4397MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about laptop battery problems
  1. Best answer
    Glad to see you bought a new power pack, if you had to arc it to get it to work, it did need replacement. The issues you are describing seem to point to a loose or broken power jack. It is a common occurance among almost all laptop brands. This video, although greatly sped up, shows what is involved in replacing the power jack on your model laptop.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjOVOLOW1Hc
    If you are not completely comfortable inside your laptop or aren't adept at soldering you may want to take it to a professional for repair ~$100 normally. Be sure to get a quote and some kind of guarantee on their work.
    If you aren't intimidated by the innards of your laptop, there are a number of videos and articles on "Laptop Power Jack Repair" and a few on the various types of ribbon cable connectors and how they work.
    Good Luck
  2. Best answer selected by dv1795.
  3. Thanks for your help, but I'll most likely scrap the laptop and just get a new one, For me it's not worth it. Thanks for the info though!
Ask a new question

Read More

Battery Laptop Battery Laptops