External Hard drive...not showing up. Please Help

I need help. I have no idea what to do. I want to pull my hair out.....
I got a Maxtor external hard drive. The only instructions is... plug it in
and restart the computer. I did and nothing... and tried different ways. I
go under devicemanager and I see it there and it says it is working fine but
It does not show up in my computer and I have no idea how to use it...
Please Help....
Oh.. and I have XP a brand new computer....
Thank you and God Bless!
2 answers Last reply
More about external hard drive showing help

    Right click My Computer, select Manage then Disk Management. You can
    format it there and assign a drive letter.

    "prettyjuls" <prettyjuls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need help. I have no idea what to do. I want to pull my hair out.....
    > I got a Maxtor external hard drive. The only instructions is... plug it in
    > and restart the computer. I did and nothing... and tried different ways.
    > go under devicemanager and I see it there and it says it is working fine
    > but
    > It does not show up in my computer and I have no idea how to use it...
    > Please Help....
    > Oh.. and I have XP a brand new computer....
    > Thank you and God Bless!

    Hi. I tried it. Thanks. It is showing up as an unknown device. I am taking it
    back. Thank you... and please do .... send me directions on how to format,
    please so I will know... how to do it when I get this new one. Thank you for
    replying. I really do appreciate it.
    Julie

    "RonK" wrote:

    > Right click My Computer, select Manage then Disk Management. You can
    > format it there and assign a drive letter.
    >
    > "prettyjuls" <prettyjuls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I need help. I have no idea what to do. I want to pull my hair out.....
    > > I got a Maxtor external hard drive. The only instructions is... plug it in
    > > and restart the computer. I did and nothing... and tried different ways.
    > > go under devicemanager and I see it there and it says it is working fine
    > > but
    > > It does not show up in my computer and I have no idea how to use it...
    > > Please Help....
    > > Oh.. and I have XP a brand new computer....
    > > Thank you and God Bless!

Computers External Hard Drive Windows XP