Xp/Win98 Dual boot. Need some help

Big_C

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
I read the article at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q306559

though after installing Win98 and then XP (98 on C: and Xp and D: both using FAT 32). I am always booting to the D: drive under XP, I went to the control panel->system-> advanced and tried to select another default operating system but it does not list Win98 there.

I am pretty confidant I did not overwrite Win98 during the installation as all my old files are there as well as the Windows directory. IS there any way I can fix this or will I have to try to install windows on C: (without a format of C:

thanks in advance.

AMD RULEZ!

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
<A HREF="http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/dual/repairdualboot.html" target="_new">are you sure WinXP is FAT</A>

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.

nach

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Sounds like you done the boot files for win98, are you sure its fat?

"hint": save a copy of c:\boot.ini once you have finished with it

nach

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Check to see if io.sys and msdos.sys still exist on the c:drive.

To do so use a dos boot floopy then switch to "c:" and run "dir /as /ah /ar", see if these 2 numbers are listed on root drive. These two files are fat and win98.

nach

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Run "Fdisk" from a Microsoft DOS boot floopy that has fdisk installed and make sure the first partition usaully known as c:drive is set to "Active Partition" if not reset to active on c:drive and reset machine with button.

JWK

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2002
After you have dual boot set up, how do you change the amount of time given to choose which operating system you want on bootup. I have an XP home & Win2000 dual boot setup that takes 30 seconds if you don't select which one you want.

thanks,

JwK

nach

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
edit "boot.ini" from bootup drive root directory then; change line <i><pre>timeout=30</i></pre><p> to a more suitable <i><pre>timeout=10</i></pre><p> for 10 seconds

or

run control panel (control.exe)
select; system\advanced_tab\startup_and_recovery_settings
click time_to_select_operating_system and select time in seconds

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As well as <b><font color=red>BOOTSECT.DOS</b></font color=red>. Win98 needs it in order to be booted in multple-boot system.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Go to Control Panel>System (System Properties)>Advanced Tab>(Bottom section)Set-Up and Recovery>Settings>below the drop down arrow for selecting the default OS is section where you select/reset the "time to display list of OS" - default is 30 sec. I have mine reset to 10 sec's.

But Officer, I wasn't speeding - I was qualifying ...

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
You can see how your partitions are set up (if they show up at all) using the Computer Management Utility. Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Mgt>Under storage view Disk Management. The graph should show you your partitions and drive labels, size, type (primary/logical/extended, etc), the file format, etc. If you set up one partition (win 98) as a dynamic partition - that might be your problem. Research the help topics on Disk Management to see if you can change a dynamic partition back to a logical one. You might still have 98 available then. But I'm just guessing - it's worth a shot.

But Officer, I wasn't speeding - I was qualifying ...
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jake_Barnes on 06/22/03 04:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Big_C

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Thanks for all the help though I fixed the problem before I checked the forums it is appriciated still.

I must have been missing some files, probably the boot.ini so I reinstalled windows 98 (only windows not format) and everything is back working and how is should be.

AMD RULEZ!