dialer pop-up while connected via cable modem

Recently upgraded from Win98 to XP-Pro. Worked thru a few glitches
and everything seemed to be in pretty good shape. But within the last
week we've got some strange behavior. Quite often we get a pop-up
asking which of a couple of dialers to use. What's particularly
strange is that I am connected via a cable modem. So why, with a
working connection, should it be prompting me to select a dialer?

map

"Ed Stevens" wrote:

> Recently upgraded from Win98 to XP-Pro. Worked thru a few glitches
> and everything seemed to be in pretty good shape. But within the last
> week we've got some strange behavior. Quite often we get a pop-up
> asking which of a couple of dialers to use. What's particularly
> strange is that I am connected via a cable modem. So why, with a
> working connection, should it be prompting me to select a dialer?

Maybe you have some type of malware(dialer) on your system and its trying to
phone home.
Ad-Aware SE - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Ed,

Right click My Computer icon, choose Manage/Services and
Applications/Services
In the right pane, select Remote Access Auto Connection Manager and double
click
Use the Startup type drop box and choose Disabled.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Ed Stevens" <ed.stevens@nospam.noway> wrote in message
> Recently upgraded from Win98 to XP-Pro. Worked thru a few glitches
> and everything seemed to be in pretty good shape. But within the last
> week we've got some strange behavior. Quite often we get a pop-up
> asking which of a couple of dialers to use. What's particularly
> strange is that I am connected via a cable modem. So why, with a
> working connection, should it be prompting me to select a dialer?

TRENDING THREADS