media player10 split screen

i seem to remember having the same problem with media player 9 once but
i cant figure it out,when i play certain mpeg movies a small section on
the right of the screen is split and it seems that small slice should be
on the left,i can get it to stop doing this by going to options>
performance>advanced>video rendering...if i uncheck use overlays it
cures it but picture quality drops ALOT,if i check high quality mode
instead it fixes it but wont let me fullscreen the clip...any help will
be much appreciated......ps..file plays fine in divx player
10 answers Last reply
More about media player10 split screen

    You might stand a better chance of getting an answer if you post this
    in the "microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player" newsgroup.

    "Lorraine W" <ltw@?_telus.net> wrote in

    > You might stand a better chance of getting an answer if you post
    this
    > in the "microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player" newsgroup.
    >
    > "doktrb" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >|i seem to remember having the same problem with media player 9 once
    > but
    >| i cant figure it out,when i play certain mpeg movies a small
    section
    > on
    >| the right of the screen is split and it seems that small slice
    > should be
    >| on the left,i can get it to stop doing this by going to options>
    >| performance>advanced>video rendering...if i uncheck use overlays
    it
    >| cures it but picture quality drops ALOT,if i check high quality
    mode
    >| instead it fixes it but wont let me fullscreen the clip...any help
    > will
    >| be much appreciated......ps..file plays fine in divx player

    i tried but verizon doesnt seem to carry that group and i cant post
    thru
    my other NG account,any further advice would be helpfull....thnx

    Hi Doktrb,

    Thank you for posting here.

    From your post, my understanding of this issue is: When you play certain
    mpeg movies with Windows Media Player 10, a small section which should be
    on the left is split to the right side of the screen. If I have
    misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.

    Based on my lots of research in our internal knowledge bases and internet,
    I can not find any similar issue. However, according to my experience, you
    can try the following steps to narrow down the root cause of the issue:

    1. Use some third-part tools such as GSpot, to analyze the movie files
    which have the issue, and check which type of codec they use. For more
    information about GSpot and codec, please visit the following Web site:

    http://www.weethet.nl/english/video_which_codecs_gspot.php

    2. Uninstall and re-install these codec which are used to the bad movie
    files.

    3. If the issue still exists, please try some all-in-one codec pack, such
    as K-Lite Codec Pack:

    http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/

    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web
    site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.
    Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or
    information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any
    representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any
    software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use
    of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make
    sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software
    from the Internet.

    Hope this helps.

    Have a nice day!

    Kind regards,
    Tom Che

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------

    v-tomche@online.microsoft.com (Tom Che [MSFT]) wrote in

    > Hi Doktrb,
    >
    > Thank you for posting here.
    >
    > From your post, my understanding of this issue is: When you play
    > certain mpeg movies with Windows Media Player 10, a small section
    > which should be on the left is split to the right side of the
    screen.
    > If I have misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.
    >
    > Based on my lots of research in our internal knowledge bases and
    > internet, I can not find any similar issue. However, according to
    my
    > experience, you can try the following steps to narrow down the root
    > cause of the issue:
    >
    > 1. Use some third-part tools such as GSpot, to analyze the movie
    files
    > which have the issue, and check which type of codec they use. For
    > more information about GSpot and codec, please visit the following
    Web
    > site:
    >
    > http://www.weethet.nl/english/video_which_codecs_gspot.php
    >
    > 2. Uninstall and re-install these codec which are used to the bad
    > movie files.
    >
    > 3. If the issue still exists, please try some all-in-one codec
    pack,
    > such as K-Lite Codec Pack:
    >
    > http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/
    >
    > NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World
    Wide
    > Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience
    > you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any
    > software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft
    > cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or
    > suitability of any software or information found there. There are
    > inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet,
    and
    > Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand
    the
    > risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Have a nice day!
    >
    > Kind regards,
    > Tom Che
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
    newsreader
    > so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    > rights.
    >
    > --------------------
    >>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    >>Subject: Re: media player10 split screen
    >>From: doktrb <nospam@nospam.com>
    >>Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 03:32:15 GMT
    online.de!t
    > -onli
    > ne.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!
    nntp.
    > gigan
    > ews.com!cyclone1.gnilink.net!spamkiller.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!
    trnddc0
    > 6.POS TED!1c892bc5!not-for-mail
    >>
    >>"Lorraine W" <ltw@?_telus.net> wrote in
    >>
    >>> You might stand a better chance of getting an answer if you post
    >>this
    >>> in the "microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player" newsgroup.
    >>>
    >>> "doktrb" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> but
    >>section
    >>> on
    >>> should be
    >>it
    >>mode
    >>> will
    >>>

    >>i tried but verizon doesnt seem to carry that group and i cant post
    >>thru
    >>my other NG account,any further advice would be helpfull....thnx

    i have tried 3 different codec packs to no avail,i know there was an
    issue like this with wmp9 i remember having this before but dont
    recall
    the fix,i havent tried gspot yet,maybe i will do that next,thanks for
    your interest in helping

    Hi Doktrb,

    Thanks for your reply!

    I'm waiting for your test result with GSpot, and it maybe helps if you can
    send me a screen shot of the split movie screen:

    To take a screen shot:
    ---------------------
    1. Press the Pr Scrn key once on the keyboard when the error message
    appears.
    2. Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box, and then
    Click OK.
    3. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.
    4. From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.
    5. Send the JPG file to me as an attachment.
    My mailbox: v-tomche@microsoft.com

    Have a nice weekend!

    Sincerely,

    > Hi Doktrb,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply!
    >
    > I'm waiting for your test result with GSpot, and it maybe helps if
    you
    > can send me a screen shot of the split movie screen:
    >
    > To take a screen shot:
    > ---------------------
    > 1. Press the Pr Scrn key once on the keyboard when the error
    message
    > appears.
    > 2. Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box,
    and
    > then Click OK.
    > 3. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.
    > 4. From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.
    > 5. Send the JPG file to me as an attachment.
    > My mailbox: v-tomche@microsoft.com
    >
    > Have a nice weekend!
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Tom Che
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
    newsreader
    > so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    > rights.
    >

    > --------------------
    >>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    >>Subject: Re: media player10 split screen
    >>From: doktrb <nospam@nospam.com>
    >>Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 03:54:53 GMT
    newsfe
    > ed00.
    > sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!
    nntp.giganews
    > .com!
    > cyclone1.gnilink.net!spamkiller.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!
    trnddc07.POSTED
> [...]
    >>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
    no
    >>> rights.
    >>>
    >>> --------------------
    >>online.de!t
    >>> -onli
    >>> ne.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!
    border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!
    >>nntp.
    >>> gigan
    >>> ews.com!cyclone1.gnilink.net!spamkiller.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!
    >>trnddc0
    >>> 6.POS TED!1c892bc5!not-for-mail

    >>once
    >>help

    >>i have tried 3 different codec packs to no avail,i know there was
    an
    >>issue like this with wmp9 i remember having this before but dont
    >>recall
    >>the fix,i havent tried gspot yet,maybe i will do that next,thanks

    Hello Tom,

    Look for my email with the attatched screen shot,first off
    there was never an error or messege of any sort,also when i
    captured the screen and save it in paint the picture in wmp
    dissapeared so it didnt show you the problem,but after some
    playing around i discovered i could save the pic as is in
    wordpad as rich text doc,im not sure what this gspot info
    means but maybe you can help it said--

    Failed to connect output pin 0x00a229fc ("Video") on MPEG-1 Stream
    Splitter to input pin 0x00a290dc (MPEG In") on filter 0x017f7136
    ("Ligos
    MPEG Decoder")ConnectDirect()failed.Error 0x80040207:There is no
    common
    media type between these pins

    i got this from the test th av test said it was renderable and it
    played
    normally in gspot,so the prob has to be something in WMP10?

    thanks again,its beer thirty
    Doktrb

    Hi Doktrb,

    Thanks for your reply again!

    I'm sorry but I cannot see anything from your .rtf file. From your GSpot
    result, there seems to be something wrong with the video file. Please do
    more test as below:

    To take a screen shot and send it to me again:
    ---------------------
    1. Press the Print Screen key (it usually near Scroll Lock key) once when
    the Error Screen (Split Screen) appears, and you can pause the video before
    taking screen shot.

    2. Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box, and then
    Click OK.

    3. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.

    4. From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.

    5. Send the JPG file to me as an attachment.
    My mailbox: v-tomche@microsoft.com

    Do more test with error video files with GSpot
    ----------------------
    1. Load a file with this issue into GSpot.

    2. Press "1" button below MS A/V, and then wait for a moment.

    3. Press "2" button below "1", and then the video should be played.

    4. Watch the video and look for any split.

    5. If you cannot find error, do the test with another error video file.

    6. Record GSpot information, including Video Codec, Name and Status, test
    result at the bottom window etc.

    7. Make another screen shot of the GSpot window with error video file and
    send it to me.

    Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

    Have a nice week!

    Please note that the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support
    professionals to answer your non-urgent, break/fix systems and applications
    questions. Our goal is to provide 24 hour response to all questions.

    If this response time does not meet your needs, please contact Customer
    Service and Support (CSS) for more immediate assistance. For more
    information on available CSS services, please click here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607
    ..

    Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

    > Hi Doktrb,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply again!
    >
    > I'm sorry but I cannot see anything from your .rtf file. From your
    > GSpot result, there seems to be something wrong with the video
    file.
    > Please do more test as below:
    >
    > To take a screen shot and send it to me again:
    > ---------------------
    > 1. Press the Print Screen key (it usually near Scroll Lock key)
    once
    > when the Error Screen (Split Screen) appears, and you can pause the
    > video before taking screen shot.
    >
    > 2. Click Start, go to Run, enter MSPAINT in the open dialog box,
    and
    > then Click OK.
    >
    > 3. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot to the canvas.
    >
    > 4. From the File menu, go to Save and save it as a JPG file.
    >
    > 5. Send the JPG file to me as an attachment.
    > My mailbox: v-tomche@microsoft.com
    >
    > Do more test with error video files with GSpot
    > ----------------------
    > 1. Load a file with this issue into GSpot.
    >
    > 2. Press "1" button below MS A/V, and then wait for a moment.
    >
    > 3. Press "2" button below "1", and then the video should be played.
    >
    > 4. Watch the video and look for any split.
    >
    > 5. If you cannot find error, do the test with another error video
    > file.
    >
    > 6. Record GSpot information, including Video Codec, Name and
    Status,
    > test result at the bottom window etc.
    >
    > 7. Make another screen shot of the GSpot window with error video
    file
    > and send it to me.
    >
    > Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
    >
    > Have a nice week!

    > Please note that the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft
    > Support professionals to answer your non-urgent, break/fix systems
    and
    > applications questions. Our goal is to provide 24 hour response to
    all
    > questions.
    >
    > If this response time does not meet your needs, please contact
    > Customer Service and Support (CSS) for more immediate assistance.
    For
    > more information on available CSS services, please click here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-
    US;OfferProPhone#f
    > aq607 .
    >
    > If you are outside the United States, please visit our
    International
    > Support page:
    http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

    > Sincerely,
    > Tom Che
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
    newsreader
    > so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    > rights.
    >
    > --------------------
    >>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    >>Subject: Re: media player10 split screen
    >>From: doktrb <nospam@nospam.com>
    >>Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 04:59:17 GMT
    newsfe
    > ed00.
    > sul.t-online.de!t-online.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!
    border1.nntp.
> [...]
    >> there was never an error or messege of any sort,also when
    >> captured the screen and save it in paint the picture in
    wmp
    >> dissapeared so it didnt show you the problem,but after
    some
    >> playing around i discovered i could save the pic as is in
    >> wordpad as rich text doc,im not sure what this gspot info
    >> means but maybe you can help it said--
    >>
    >>Failed to connect output pin 0x00a229fc ("Video") on MPEG-1 Stream
    >>Splitter to input pin 0x00a290dc (MPEG In") on filter 0x017f7136
    >>("Ligos
    >>MPEG Decoder")ConnectDirect()failed.Error 0x80040207:There is no
    >>common
    >>media type between these pins
    >>
    >>i got this from the test th av test said it was renderable and it
    >>played
    >>normally in gspot,so the prob has to be something in WMP10?

    check back in 2 days please and i should have time to do these things
    thanks again for the help

    Hi Doktrb,

    Thanks for your reply!

    You may come back anytime, I will be here weekdays. It's my pleasure to
    work with you!

    Have a nice day!

> [...]

    >>> dissapeared so it didnt show you the problem,but after
    >some
    >>> playing around i discovered i could save the pic as is in
    >>> wordpad as rich text doc,im not sure what this gspot info
    >>> means but maybe you can help it said--
    >>>
    >>>Failed to connect output pin 0x00a229fc ("Video") on MPEG-1 Stream
    >>>Splitter to input pin 0x00a290dc (MPEG In") on filter 0x017f7136
    >>>("Ligos
    >>>MPEG Decoder")ConnectDirect()failed.Error 0x80040207:There is no
    >>>common
    >>>media type between these pins
    >>>
    >>>i got this from the test th av test said it was renderable and it
    >>>played
    >>>normally in gspot,so the prob has to be something in WMP10?
    >>>
    >>>thanks again,its beer thirty
    >>> Doktrb
    >>>

    >check back in 2 days please and i should have time to do these things

    Hi Doktrb,

    I have replyed in your new post , please check it there. I also duplicate
    my reply as below just for your convenience:

    Hi Doktrb:

    Thanks for your reply!

    It's very weird that you cannot take a snap shot of the split screen.
    However, I have checked the result of GSpot, and it seems to be MPEG-1
    (i.e. VCD format). These MPEG-1 video should be played normally even
    though without third-party codec. Therefore, let's uninstall and then
    reinstall the Windows Media Player 10 as below:

    1. Uninstall Windows Media Player 10 from the Add or Remove Programs in
    Control Panel and then reboot the system.

    Note: If you are unable to find the Windows Media Player 10 in the Add or
    Remove Programs list, check mark the 'Show updates' on the top right hand
    corner of the Add or Remove Programs window.

    Note: After uninstall the WMP 10, your system will roll back to WMP 9 or
    WMP 8, you can test this issue on the old version.

    2. Download WMP 10 from the following Microsoft Web site:

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/2/a/12a31f29-2fa9-4f50-b95d-e45ef70
    13f87/MP10Setup.exe

    And then double-click the setup file to install it. Test the issue again.

Windows XP