Care to Play the Name Game?

pauldh

Illustrious
Since many of us are eagerly awaiting the new releases and benchmark scores, but there hasn't been much real news so far, I was wondering if you guys/gals would care to take a guess at the names for NVidia and ATI's next Gen cards.

Will ATI stick to Radeon? NV stick to FX? GForce? How about numbers, can ATI dare to hit a 5 digit number or is that lame? Or is the 10XXX name reserved for if/when DX10 cards come out? Anyway, I'm bored and not coming up with any good guesses, so I'd like to hear from all of you.

Being totally unorginal, I'll say FX6900 & FX 6900Ultra for the top two NV40 AGP and PCX6900/6950 Ultra for the NV45 PCIe.

ATI, um, say Radeon 9980 Pro & XT for high end. And maybe 9680 Pro/XT for mid performance.

Yeah, flame me only if you must, but I'd rather hear your ideas rather than have you rip apart mine. :lol:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Well we've done this a few times, but here's my suggestions again;

ATI - The R 9999 Pure Evil (doubtful as a new core means a new number IMO)
- The RX, take two of these and call me in the morning after a night of gaming.
-The R 10,000 FRO, it's one Bad Mutha!
-The Radeon Gorilla (switch to animal instead of numbers), just like the 'in a nutshell' series of books.
-The Radeon RED Devil, cause it's E-vil like the De-vil! :evil:

nV - The FX6006 MMmm palindrome
- The FX6969 (seriously 6900, go all the way man! :tongue: )
- The FX-XS (because that's gonna be the price tag excess $)
- The FX SUX (well probably not this time around, but hey, you never know)
- The FX Green Machine (Canadians will understand this Money machine reference).
- The FX 5800Ultra-We-Wish-We-Made-LAST-Year.
- The FX FUX (well I'm sure that's what some people wish it would do for $499. :lol:
- The FX-Redux (This time with PS2.0 Support :wink: )
- The FX-ROX (or so we hope)
- The FXFXFXFXFXFXFXFXFXFX (not original but I got a finger cramp and decided not to erase it)
- The FX NEXT (Hey X-box is doing it, why not nV?)

Let the tom-foolery begin or end, whatever. I'm gonna go back to work.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
The ATi 9900Fro.

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2106920" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

Yep, the immortal classic. :cool:

How about:

The R 10,987 MOFOPRO

Well I'm done at work (only a 14hr day! :mad: ), now time to Part-Eee!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
..hahahhahah a mofopro. hahahh thats good lol its so insulting and yet safe at teh same time.

too many product cycles tho. its fast even for me and im only 20

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
dude, do you just sit donw and make that [-peep-] up off the top of yor head ? lol you got talent

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

pauldh

Illustrious
Seriously. lol

Grape, Sorry I missed the first few times you threw out names. I read almost all these posts, but I missed those I guess.

I'd like to see someone put it in writing now so they can claim with proof down the road they guessed it right on.
If you guessed it with that last one, maybe we'll all pitch in and buy you a R 10,987 MOFOPRO. :lol:

Will NV stick to <font color=red>F</font color=red>reaking Su<font color=red>X</font color=red>?

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pauldh on 03/06/04 09:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
NV4x AGP: GeForce 5 6xxx
NV4x PCIE: GeForce PCX 6xxx or GeForce 5 6xxx PCX

ATi 4xx: Radeon 10xxx

Yeah, I'm unoriginal, too.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

Thank you, thank you! :cool:

Yes they are all original (although the FRO was a symbiotic discovery with GW)

I forgot the most common name IMO: <b>Reason to Upgrade #2</b> :wink:

I also had a list for the RV360 and R380.

<b>PaulH</b>, the only realistic name would be something to do with the Radeon 10,000 series. Be it the R10,000 or the R10,101 (a little shout out to binary) or they could take the opportunity to go with something like the Radeon X-series. Although like nV that could be in conjunction with their numbering scheme.

But then again maybe they have a sense of humour and it will be the Radeon Enron, it causes massive system power-outages (on anything less than a 400W PSU), is more complicated than year 2001 accounting, and it destroys pension funds in a snap (Gotta Get me One, NOW/HOW!?!), and in 10mths you'll say where'd all my money go, and what do I have to show for it. :evil:

pauldh

Illustrious
You have a unique slightly twisted mind. :) But I mean that as a compliment.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
GeForce 5 SX-1

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
I think Nvidia will go from FX to SX, while the comunity will just call it the WTF...

And ATI, well I think they will just stick with what they have already..maybe bring in hte 10000 series names.

Gary

<font color=red>AMD 2700 XP<font color=red>
<font color=red>Gecube 9800 pro Extreme<font color=red>
<font color=blue>ASUS A7N8X deluxe<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>1024 meg Dual Channel DDR 3200<font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS