Error: The Win16 Subsytem was unable to enter...

I don;t know what caused it, but any 16-bit app (for instance, hp printer
installation) now generates the following error:

The Win16 Subsytem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DOSX.EXE must be in
your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your path.

I have restored from the Windows XP CD the Windows\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT,
Windows\System32\CONFIG.NT, Windows\System32\DOSX.EXE, and COMMAND.COM
files. They never were missing, but I restored them anyway. I have read
about trojans/malware that removes these files, but they are not being
removed. They are there, and Windows\System32 is in my user and system
paths. Here is a hint: if I run \Windows\System32\Command.com, it will not
execute the three lh commands (mscdexnt.exe, redir.exe, dosx.exe) in
autoexec.nt, showing three File Not Found error messages, and then the shell
prompt, even if I remove the "lh". However, if I then type dosx at the
prompt, I get no error. Any ideas? Could this be a permission problem? I did
recently turn off "Use simple file sharing" as I needed to give full access
to folders I wanted to leave in place to multiple users. HELP!!!
6 answers Last reply
More about error win16 subsytem unable enter

    Follow the instructions here

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    "Charles Roberts" wrote:

    > I don;t know what caused it, but any 16-bit app (for instance, hp printer
    > installation) now generates the following error:
    >
    > The Win16 Subsytem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DOSX.EXE must be in
    > your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your path.
    >
    > I have restored from the Windows XP CD the Windows\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT,
    > Windows\System32\CONFIG.NT, Windows\System32\DOSX.EXE, and COMMAND.COM
    > files. They never were missing, but I restored them anyway. I have read
    > about trojans/malware that removes these files, but they are not being
    > removed. They are there, and Windows\System32 is in my user and system
    > paths. Here is a hint: if I run \Windows\System32\Command.com, it will not
    > execute the three lh commands (mscdexnt.exe, redir.exe, dosx.exe) in
    > autoexec.nt, showing three File Not Found error messages, and then the shell
    > prompt, even if I remove the "lh". However, if I then type dosx at the
    > prompt, I get no error. Any ideas? Could this be a permission problem? I did
    > recently turn off "Use simple file sharing" as I needed to give full access
    > to folders I wanted to leave in place to multiple users. HELP!!!

    I read and followed the instructions in that article already. I've
    exhaustively searched all KB articles at Microsoft as well. That's why I'm
    asking here.

    "putasolutions" <iwolstencroft.nospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Follow the instructions here
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    >
    > "Charles Roberts" wrote:
    >

    > > I don;t know what caused it, but any 16-bit app (for instance, hp
    printer
    > > installation) now generates the following error:
    > >
    > > The Win16 Subsytem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DOSX.EXE must be
    in
    > > your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your path.
    > >
    > > I have restored from the Windows XP CD the Windows\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT,
    > > Windows\System32\CONFIG.NT, Windows\System32\DOSX.EXE, and COMMAND.COM
    > > files. They never were missing, but I restored them anyway. I have read
    > > about trojans/malware that removes these files, but they are not being
    > > removed. They are there, and Windows\System32 is in my user and system
    > > paths. Here is a hint: if I run \Windows\System32\Command.com, it will
    not
    > > execute the three lh commands (mscdexnt.exe, redir.exe, dosx.exe) in
    > > autoexec.nt, showing three File Not Found error messages, and then the
    shell
    > > prompt, even if I remove the "lh". However, if I then type dosx at the
    > > prompt, I get no error. Any ideas? Could this be a permission problem? I
    did
    > > recently turn off "Use simple file sharing" as I needed to give full
    access
    > > to folders I wanted to leave in place to multiple users. HELP!!!

    I am getting basically the same message:
    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
    path to the program that you are trying to start or install
    C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running
    MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
    application.

    I am not that computer literate and the link was very confusing. There are
    several programs that make this error message pop up.

    "Charles Roberts" wrote:

    > I read and followed the instructions in that article already. I've
    > exhaustively searched all KB articles at Microsoft as well. That's why I'm
    > asking here.
    >
    > "putasolutions" <iwolstencroft.nospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Follow the instructions here
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    > >
    > > "Charles Roberts" wrote:
    > >

    > > > I don;t know what caused it, but any 16-bit app (for instance, hp
    > printer
    > > > installation) now generates the following error:
    > > >
    > > > The Win16 Subsytem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DOSX.EXE must be
    > in
    > > > your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your path.
    > > >
    > > > I have restored from the Windows XP CD the Windows\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT,
    > > > Windows\System32\CONFIG.NT, Windows\System32\DOSX.EXE, and COMMAND.COM
    > > > files. They never were missing, but I restored them anyway. I have read
    > > > about trojans/malware that removes these files, but they are not being
    > > > removed. They are there, and Windows\System32 is in my user and system
    > > > paths. Here is a hint: if I run \Windows\System32\Command.com, it will
    > not
    > > > execute the three lh commands (mscdexnt.exe, redir.exe, dosx.exe) in
    > > > autoexec.nt, showing three File Not Found error messages, and then the
    > shell
    > > > prompt, even if I remove the "lh". However, if I then type dosx at the
    > > > prompt, I get no error. Any ideas? Could this be a permission problem? I
    > did
    > > > recently turn off "Use simple file sharing" as I needed to give full
    > access
    > > > to folders I wanted to leave in place to multiple users. HELP!!!

    I've put in a support to MS on this problem. We still haven't found found
    the source of the problem, but it's NOT the missing/corrupt file (*.nt,
    command.com, etc.) problem.
    I will post if I find a solution.

    "Betz" <Betz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am getting basically the same message:
    > 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
    > path to the program that you are trying to start or install
    > C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running
    > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
    > application.
    >
    > I am not that computer literate and the link was very confusing. There
    > are
    > several programs that make this error message pop up.
    >

    > "Charles Roberts" wrote:
    >
    >> I read and followed the instructions in that article already. I've
    >> exhaustively searched all KB articles at Microsoft as well. That's why
    >> I'm
    >> asking here.
    >>
    >> "putasolutions" <iwolstencroft.nospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Follow the instructions here
    >> >
    >> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    >> printer

    >> in

    >> not
    >> shell
    >> did
    >> access

    After half a dozen back and forth messages with Microsoft support,
    Microsoft's only solution was to boot from the XP Cd and repair
    ( REINSTALL ) XP. My installed programs and settings did remain intact and
    the 16bit subsystem was fixed, but I did have to reinstall SP2 and all the
    other updates, as my XP CD is SP1. Sorry folks, no other fix.

    --
    I'm glad that it finally working, as a precaution you might want to double
    check that AUTOEXEC.NT is set to "read only"

System32 Command Prompt Windows XP