Error: The Win16 Subsytem was unable to enter...

I don;t know what caused it, but any 16-bit app (for instance, hp printer
installation) now generates the following error:

The Win16 Subsytem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DOSX.EXE must be in
your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your path.

I have restored from the Windows XP CD the Windows\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT,
Windows\System32\CONFIG.NT, Windows\System32\DOSX.EXE, and COMMAND.COM
files. They never were missing, but I restored them anyway. I have read
about trojans/malware that removes these files, but they are not being
removed. They are there, and Windows\System32 is in my user and system
paths. Here is a hint: if I run \Windows\System32\Command.com, it will not
execute the three lh commands (mscdexnt.exe, redir.exe, dosx.exe) in
autoexec.nt, showing three File Not Found error messages, and then the shell
prompt, even if I remove the "lh". However, if I then type dosx at the
prompt, I get no error. Any ideas? Could this be a permission problem? I did
recently turn off "Use simple file sharing" as I needed to give full access
to folders I wanted to leave in place to multiple users. HELP!!!

Follow the instructions here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

"Charles Roberts" wrote:

> I don;t know what caused it, but any 16-bit app (for instance, hp printer
> installation) now generates the following error:
>
> The Win16 Subsytem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DOSX.EXE must be in
> your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your path.
>
> I have restored from the Windows XP CD the Windows\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT,
> Windows\System32\CONFIG.NT, Windows\System32\DOSX.EXE, and COMMAND.COM
> files. They never were missing, but I restored them anyway. I have read
> about trojans/malware that removes these files, but they are not being
> removed. They are there, and Windows\System32 is in my user and system
> paths. Here is a hint: if I run \Windows\System32\Command.com, it will not
> execute the three lh commands (mscdexnt.exe, redir.exe, dosx.exe) in
> autoexec.nt, showing three File Not Found error messages, and then the shell
> prompt, even if I remove the "lh". However, if I then type dosx at the
> prompt, I get no error. Any ideas? Could this be a permission problem? I did
> recently turn off "Use simple file sharing" as I needed to give full access
> to folders I wanted to leave in place to multiple users. HELP!!!

I read and followed the instructions in that article already. I've
exhaustively searched all KB articles at Microsoft as well. That's why I'm
asking here.

"putasolutions" <iwolstencroft.nospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Follow the instructions here
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
>
> "Charles Roberts" wrote:
>

> > I don;t know what caused it, but any 16-bit app (for instance, hp
printer
> > installation) now generates the following error:
> >
> > The Win16 Subsytem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DOSX.EXE must be
in
> > your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your path.
> >
> > I have restored from the Windows XP CD the Windows\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT,
> > Windows\System32\CONFIG.NT, Windows\System32\DOSX.EXE, and COMMAND.COM
> > files. They never were missing, but I restored them anyway. I have read
> > about trojans/malware that removes these files, but they are not being
> > removed. They are there, and Windows\System32 is in my user and system
> > paths. Here is a hint: if I run \Windows\System32\Command.com, it will
not
> > execute the three lh commands (mscdexnt.exe, redir.exe, dosx.exe) in
> > autoexec.nt, showing three File Not Found error messages, and then the
shell
> > prompt, even if I remove the "lh". However, if I then type dosx at the
> > prompt, I get no error. Any ideas? Could this be a permission problem? I
did
> > recently turn off "Use simple file sharing" as I needed to give full
access
> > to folders I wanted to leave in place to multiple users. HELP!!!

I am getting basically the same message:
16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
path to the program that you are trying to start or install
C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application.

I am not that computer literate and the link was very confusing. There are
several programs that make this error message pop up.

"Charles Roberts" wrote:

> I read and followed the instructions in that article already. I've
> exhaustively searched all KB articles at Microsoft as well. That's why I'm
> asking here.
>
> "putasolutions" <iwolstencroft.nospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Follow the instructions here
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
> >
> > "Charles Roberts" wrote:
> >

> > > I don;t know what caused it, but any 16-bit app (for instance, hp
> printer
> > > installation) now generates the following error:
> > >
> > > The Win16 Subsytem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DOSX.EXE must be
> in
> > > your AUTOEXEC.NT and present in your path.
> > >
> > > I have restored from the Windows XP CD the Windows\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT,
> > > Windows\System32\CONFIG.NT, Windows\System32\DOSX.EXE, and COMMAND.COM
> > > files. They never were missing, but I restored them anyway. I have read
> > > about trojans/malware that removes these files, but they are not being
> > > removed. They are there, and Windows\System32 is in my user and system
> > > paths. Here is a hint: if I run \Windows\System32\Command.com, it will
> not
> > > execute the three lh commands (mscdexnt.exe, redir.exe, dosx.exe) in
> > > autoexec.nt, showing three File Not Found error messages, and then the
> shell
> > > prompt, even if I remove the "lh". However, if I then type dosx at the
> > > prompt, I get no error. Any ideas? Could this be a permission problem? I
> did
> > > recently turn off "Use simple file sharing" as I needed to give full
> access
> > > to folders I wanted to leave in place to multiple users. HELP!!!

I've put in a support to MS on this problem. We still haven't found found
the source of the problem, but it's NOT the missing/corrupt file (*.nt,
command.com, etc.) problem.
I will post if I find a solution.

"Betz" <Betz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am getting basically the same message:
> 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
> path to the program that you are trying to start or install
> C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
>
> I am not that computer literate and the link was very confusing. There
> are
> several programs that make this error message pop up.
>

> "Charles Roberts" wrote:
>
>> I read and followed the instructions in that article already. I've
>> exhaustively searched all KB articles at Microsoft as well. That's why
>> I'm
>> asking here.
>>
>> "putasolutions" <iwolstencroft.nospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Follow the instructions here
>> >
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

>> printer

>> in

>> not
>> shell
>> did
>> access

After half a dozen back and forth messages with Microsoft support,
Microsoft's only solution was to boot from the XP Cd and repair
( REINSTALL ) XP. My installed programs and settings did remain intact and
the 16bit subsystem was fixed, but I did have to reinstall SP2 and all the
other updates, as my XP CD is SP1. Sorry folks, no other fix.

"Betz" <Betz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am getting basically the same message:
> 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
> path to the program that you are trying to start or install
> C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
>
> I am not that computer literate and the link was very confusing. There
> are
> several programs that make this error message pop up.
>

> "Charles Roberts" wrote:
>
>> I read and followed the instructions in that article already. I've
>> exhaustively searched all KB articles at Microsoft as well. That's why
>> I'm
>> asking here.
>>
>> "putasolutions" <iwolstencroft.nospam@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Follow the instructions here
>> >
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

>> printer

>> in

>> not
>> shell
>> did
>> access

map

--
I'm glad that it finally working, as a precaution you might want to double
check that AUTOEXEC.NT is set to "read only"