XP won't run

April 14, 2005 7:35:02 AM

I recently installed XP in my slave drive (I have 98 installed in my master
drive), I was able to multi-boot between the two but I ran the windows 98 cd
mistakenly and reinstalled 9x after installing xp, now in my boot menu
whenever I try to boot xp I get this message: WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
file is missing or corrupted and I canno longer boot xp.

I try using a boot floppy and copy the files NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM in the
XP recovery console, but seems like I am not doing it right. I have actually
tried to reinstall xp but it works fine until I came back the next day, when
I found the same error message again, if anyone can guide me through the
repair process would be great as I am sick of reinstalling xp over and over
again.

More about : run

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 1:39:09 PM

you have to install Windows 98 first and then install Windows XP. If you
install Windows 98 after XP, then 98 will overwrite the boot information of
XP and you will have only 98 booting up. If you have already done this, then
you can overrun the XP setup once more to have the problem solved. Here is
how you overrun an XP installation: Boot from the XP CD-ROM and in the choice
screen that comes up, please press enter. It will detect the existing
installation of XP and will ask you whether you want to repair the
installation. Just press repair `R'. This will overrun the XP installation.
But your settings and the programs installed will be intact.

John S.

"Tommy Y" wrote:

> I recently installed XP in my slave drive (I have 98 installed in my master
> drive), I was able to multi-boot between the two but I ran the windows 98 cd
> mistakenly and reinstalled 9x after installing xp, now in my boot menu
> whenever I try to boot xp I get this message: WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
> file is missing or corrupted and I canno longer boot xp.
>
> I try using a boot floppy and copy the files NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM in the
> XP recovery console, but seems like I am not doing it right. I have actually
> tried to reinstall xp but it works fine until I came back the next day, when
> I found the same error message again, if anyone can guide me through the
> repair process would be great as I am sick of reinstalling xp over and over
> again.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:59:13 PM

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from
Starting"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307545

--

Will Denny