john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I have a very annoying problem with my XP Pro system that i hope someone can
help me with.
Basically, my PC freezes for no apparent reason and at random with no little
or no warning. This can happen when im using a web browser or an application
such as Word but NEVER when im playing a game!!
My system specs are; AMD 64 3000 processor, ASUS A8V MB (of which i have
replaced thinking it was the cause), 1 gig Geil DDR 400 RAM, 6600GT Vid
card, 500 watt PS, 160 gig SATA Western Digital HD, 40 gig Seagate IDE HD,
2 Optical drives and a Sound Blaster Audigy ZS2 sound card.
I have ALL the latest drivers for all products and have used various
utilites to test RAM, PS, CPU etc with all results clear.
Like i said earlier, i can play a CPU/hardware demanding game like Far Cry
for hours with all settings maxed out and not a single problem-ever. But
load up Word and it might be fine for an hour or freeze in a minute. What
happens when it does lock up is that the screen looks like its got a sort of
"tearing" pattern on it and the only way to get my PC running again i to
reboot-CtlAltDlt does nothing.
I have my machine running with only the SATA hard drive attached and nothing
else but with no luck.
Im sure that it is a hardware or CPU problem as this is the third install of
OS with same results on this machine-am using same OS on another machine
with no probs at all.
Any suggestions on what might be wrong.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:34:45 +1000, "John"
<yoursparky@eastsideelectrical.com.au> wrote:

>I have a very annoying problem with my XP Pro system that i hope someone can
>help me with.
<snip>
What does the Event Viewer show? (Control Panel>Admin Tools>Event Viewer)

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I forgot to add that i have taken a picture of my screen when frozen which i
can pass on if it helps.

"John" <yoursparky@eastsideelectrical.com.au> wrote in message
>I have a very annoying problem with my XP Pro system that i hope someone
>can help me with.
> Basically, my PC freezes for no apparent reason and at random with no
> little or no warning. This can happen when im using a web browser or an
> application such as Word but NEVER when im playing a game!!
> My system specs are; AMD 64 3000 processor, ASUS A8V MB (of which i have
> replaced thinking it was the cause), 1 gig Geil DDR 400 RAM, 6600GT Vid
> card, 500 watt PS, 160 gig SATA Western Digital HD, 40 gig Seagate IDE HD,
> 2 Optical drives and a Sound Blaster Audigy ZS2 sound card.
> I have ALL the latest drivers for all products and have used various
> utilites to test RAM, PS, CPU etc with all results clear.
> Like i said earlier, i can play a CPU/hardware demanding game like Far Cry
> for hours with all settings maxed out and not a single problem-ever. But
> load up Word and it might be fine for an hour or freeze in a minute. What
> happens when it does lock up is that the screen looks like its got a sort
> of "tearing" pattern on it and the only way to get my PC running again i
> to reboot-CtlAltDlt does nothing.
> I have my machine running with only the SATA hard drive attached and
> nothing else but with no luck.
> Im sure that it is a hardware or CPU problem as this is the third install
> of OS with same results on this machine-am using same OS on another
> machine with no probs at all.
> Any suggestions on what might be wrong.

Hi John , I have been using the MSI Forum for more than a year now and they
have some very clever people moderating there . You will have to register ,
its easy , and post your system specs and the Amps for each rail of your PSU
, 3.3V , 5V and the 12V rails , the info will be on your PSU label and youre
sure to get a solution . Search Google for MSI and look through the results
for MSI Forum .