ReFormat or not

I have recently purchased a new computer running XP and I had my old
HardDrive (running WinMe) installed in this computer. I am having
problems with one of the virtual drives that was on my old computer.
It is a FAT 32 drive and only 1 program was installed there, all the
rest was Data.

3 of the directories on this drive won't let me do anything...can't
open them to get to the files and windows won't let me delete them,
saying that the directory is "not accessible because it is corrupted
and unreadable".

I have tried a DOS window with similiar results. Disk check says
everything is ok but I am unable defrag the drive. Last week I only
had 1 directory with this problem so I decicded to move all my other
directories to another partition. While I was doing this in
windows......2 more directories became unreable.

The program and unrecovered Data are expenable but I don't want to
lose anything else I might put on this drive in the future.

The obvious thing to me, is to reformat the drive but I thought I
would air the problem here first before I cause myself any more
headaches

I have never reformated a drive before but I presume it is a simple
task using Window XP ?

Any suggestions/

Thanks

pop

"Jack Black" <jackblack32003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have recently purchased a new computer running XP and I had my old
> HardDrive (running WinMe) installed in this computer. I am having
> problems with one of the virtual drives that was on my old computer.
> It is a FAT 32 drive and only 1 program was installed there, all the
> rest was Data.
>
> 3 of the directories on this drive won't let me do anything...can't
> open them to get to the files and windows won't let me delete them,
> saying that the directory is "not accessible because it is corrupted
> and unreadable".
>
> I have tried a DOS window with similiar results. Disk check says
> everything is ok but I am unable defrag the drive. Last week I only
> had 1 directory with this problem so I decicded to move all my other
> directories to another partition. While I was doing this in
> windows......2 more directories became unreable.
>
> The program and unrecovered Data are expenable but I don't want to
> lose anything else I might put on this drive in the future.
>
> The obvious thing to me, is to reformat the drive but I thought I
> would air the problem here first before I cause myself any more
> headaches
>
> I have never reformated a drive before but I presume it is a simple
> task using Window XP ?
>
> Any suggestions/
>

> Thanks

Personally I'd opt for a new drive if I had the cash handy, but you're
right, a format might, only might, be all it needs. IFF you format and it
seems good, give it a few weeks of containong only expendable data before
you put anything on it that's important. Populate it heavily so it gets
approximately the same population it has now or more, and watch it
carefully. It's quite possible the drive itself is messing up.

You said disk-check: Did you mean chkdsk, scandisk, or what? Chkdsk is the
most reliable thing you can run for monitoring the disk, far as what
software you already have, anyway.

Pop

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:25:31 -0400, "Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net>
wrote:

>"Jack Black" <jackblack32003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have recently purchased a new computer running XP and I had my old
>> HardDrive (running WinMe) installed in this computer. I am having
>> problems with one of the virtual drives that was on my old computer.
>> It is a FAT 32 drive and only 1 program was installed there, all the
>> rest was Data.
>>
>> 3 of the directories on this drive won't let me do anything...can't
>> open them to get to the files and windows won't let me delete them,
>> saying that the directory is "not accessible because it is corrupted
>> and unreadable".
>>
>> I have tried a DOS window with similiar results. Disk check says
>> everything is ok but I am unable defrag the drive. Last week I only
>> had 1 directory with this problem so I decicded to move all my other
>> directories to another partition. While I was doing this in
>> windows......2 more directories became unreable.
>>
>> The program and unrecovered Data are expenable but I don't want to
>> lose anything else I might put on this drive in the future.
>>
>> The obvious thing to me, is to reformat the drive but I thought I
>> would air the problem here first before I cause myself any more
>> headaches
>>
>> I have never reformated a drive before but I presume it is a simple
>> task using Window XP ?
>>
>> Any suggestions/
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>Personally I'd opt for a new drive if I had the cash handy, but you're
>right, a format might, only might, be all it needs. IFF you format and it
>seems good, give it a few weeks of containong only expendable data before
>you put anything on it that's important. Populate it heavily so it gets
>approximately the same population it has now or more, and watch it
>carefully. It's quite possible the drive itself is messing up.
>
>You said disk-check: Did you mean chkdsk, scandisk, or what? Chkdsk is the
>most reliable thing you can run for monitoring the disk, far as what
>software you already have, anyway.
>
>Pop

Might want to get the correct diagnostic utility from the harddrive
maker's website and run their non-destructive tests just to be more sure
the drive isn't failing.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/