Network XP file server set-up difficulties

I'm trying to complete the replacement of an old Linux server for my church
with a new XP file server because we need more storage space and the vendor
for our data management software does not support Linux. Every time they
send a software upgrade, we have problems that they have trouble helping us
resolve because of the way Linux and windows products differ in management
of permissions. Part of the transfer is done and working well, other parts
I'm having trouble getting to allow mapping to two resources simultaneously.

1. Each user needs to be mapped to the data folder for the data management
software [done and running smoothly]

2. Each user needs access to a shared folder for a few documents that we
all need to see and/or modify (password protection desirable, but not
absolutely necessary) [conflicts with step 3 below]

3. Each user also needs access to a folder on the server that only they
have access to (with password protection) [conflicts with step 2 above]

I had steps 1 and 2 done, but when I tried to accomplish step 3, I ran into
conflicts and got messages like: "The network folder is currently mapped
using a different user name and password. To connect using a different user
name and password, first disconnect any existing mappings to this network
share." and/or "Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the
same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all
previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again."

When I disconnected and tried again, I lost step 2 on the workstation that I
was using. That's what got me here to ask the wisdom of those who know what
they're doing.

Here's what the file structure I'm trying to work with on the server looks
like (actual file names are different, but this is where they are):

C:\membership data folder
C:\shared documents
C:\users\user1
C:\users\user2
C:\users\user3
C:\users\user4
C:\users\user5
C:\users\user6

I have administrator rights on the server, so I can make any changes in
permissions there. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

bar

You say that the vendor doesn't support Linux: but that youare using XP.
Therefore shouldn't you call your software vendor for them to assist in your
XP SETUP?

"MDriggers" <mdriggers@nospam.charter.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to complete the replacement of an old Linux server for my
> church with a new XP file server because we need more storage space and
> the vendor for our data management software does not support Linux. Every
> time they send a software upgrade, we have problems that they have trouble
> helping us resolve because of the way Linux and windows products differ in
> management of permissions. Part of the transfer is done and working well,
> other parts I'm having trouble getting to allow mapping to two resources
> simultaneously.
>
> 1. Each user needs to be mapped to the data folder for the data
> management software [done and running smoothly]
>
> 2. Each user needs access to a shared folder for a few documents that we
> all need to see and/or modify (password protection desirable, but not
> absolutely necessary) [conflicts with step 3 below]
>
> 3. Each user also needs access to a folder on the server that only they
> have access to (with password protection) [conflicts with step 2 above]
>
> I had steps 1 and 2 done, but when I tried to accomplish step 3, I ran
> into conflicts and got messages like: "The network folder is currently
> mapped using a different user name and password. To connect using a
> different user name and password, first disconnect any existing mappings
> to this network share." and/or "Multiple connections to a server or shared
> resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed.
> Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and
> try again."
>
> When I disconnected and tried again, I lost step 2 on the workstation that
> I was using. That's what got me here to ask the wisdom of those who know
> what they're doing.
>
> Here's what the file structure I'm trying to work with on the server looks
> like (actual file names are different, but this is where they are):
>
> C:\membership data folder
> C:\shared documents
> C:\users\user1
> C:\users\user2
> C:\users\user3
> C:\users\user4
> C:\users\user5
> C:\users\user6
>
> I have administrator rights on the server, so I can make any changes in
> permissions there. Any help much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

You have run into the problems of trying to use a workstation OS for a
server. You really need Server 2003 and AD to make this work easily. If you
are a church you may be eligible for a charitable discount version of server
2003.

What is happening is that in a workgroup situation you must have the same
account and password on the server and client computers. The accounts are
stored in the local SAM database on each computer and not synchronized in
any way. When mapping a drive it sometimes helps if you specify the account
to be used in the format SERVERNAME\username to make sure the right account
is being used. What you are trying to do can be done as long as you keep the
incoming connections to the "server" at ten or less. It will take a lot of
trial and error to get the drives mapped right. If the program supports it
it may also be easier to specify UNC names instead of using mapped drives
e.g. \\servername\sharename

Kerry

The part of the network that concerns the functionality of the vendor's
software works fine. I'm trying to get the rest of the network
file-sharing/file server functionality working as we want it to. I'm sure
tech support for the vendor _could_ help me (and maybe they _would_ given
our history with the company ... they're nice folks), but that's not what
they're paid by the vendor for.