WindowsXP SP2 Installation

Hi,

After hours of sorting out Mother-in-Law's virused PC, finally got it all
back to how it should. Managed to get the necessary security updates from
Windows Update to block the trojan intrusion. However, next time I accessed
the Windows Update site, SP2 was the only Update applicable. I duly
downloaded this and tried to install - Came back with the error:

Cannot validate this copy of XP (or something to that effect).

So i checked the version using the "Is this copy of Windows legal" option.

Again, came back with a similar error.

The PC was bought second-hand with XP Pro already installed - I believe it
was from a job lot of computers a university was selling.

How can I get SP2 to install/validate the existing version of XP?

Many thanks for anticipated assistance.

Kind regards,

Dean Fraiquin
2 answers Last reply
More about windowsxp installation

    It appears there is an illegal, pirated version of Windows XP
    Professional installed on the computer. The only thing you
    can do is to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP Pro
    and perform a "Repair Install". Illegal versions of XP are
    not entitiled to service pack updates.

    You receive a "The product key used to install Microsoft Windows may not be valid"
    error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;883254

    Unable to Install Windows XP SP2
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/xpsp2/default.mspx

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.­com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Dean Fraiquin" wrote:

    | Hi,
    |
    | After hours of sorting out Mother-in-Law's virused PC, finally got it all
    | back to how it should. Managed to get the necessary security updates from
    | Windows Update to block the trojan intrusion. However, next time I accessed
    | the Windows Update site, SP2 was the only Update applicable. I duly
    | downloaded this and tried to install - Came back with the error:
    |
    | Cannot validate this copy of XP (or something to that effect).
    |
    | So i checked the version using the "Is this copy of Windows legal" option.
    |
    | Again, came back with a similar error.
    |
    | The PC was bought second-hand with XP Pro already installed - I believe it
    | was from a job lot of computers a university was selling.
    |
    | How can I get SP2 to install/validate the existing version of XP?
    |

    | Many thanks for anticipated assistance.
    |
    | Kind regards,
    |
    | Dean Fraiquin

    Dean;
    See if this applies:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Dean Fraiquin" <d-signcomm@btconnect.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > After hours of sorting out Mother-in-Law's virused PC, finally got it all
    > back to how it should. Managed to get the necessary security updates from
    > Windows Update to block the trojan intrusion. However, next time I
    > accessed the Windows Update site, SP2 was the only Update applicable. I
    > duly downloaded this and tried to install - Came back with the error:
    >
    > Cannot validate this copy of XP (or something to that effect).
    >
    > So i checked the version using the "Is this copy of Windows legal" option.
    >
    > Again, came back with a similar error.
    >
    > The PC was bought second-hand with XP Pro already installed - I believe it
    > was from a job lot of computers a university was selling.
    >
    > How can I get SP2 to install/validate the existing version of XP?
    >

    > Many thanks for anticipated assistance.
    >
    > Kind regards,
    >
    > Dean Fraiquin

Windows Update Windows XP