Firefox 3.6 and plugin-container.exe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmageddonX

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I just downloaded Firefox 3.6. Now every time I open a Webpage Norton asks me if I want to run "plugin-container.exe" and says it's a "trusted file".

What is it and is it safe to run it?

File Insight:
Signature: Mozilla Corporation
Many Users - Tens of Thousands of users in the Norton Community have used this file.
New - This file was release more than 7 days ago.
Good - There are indication this file is trustworthy.

Before I downloaded Firefox 3.6 I was not getting this message.

EDIT: I also installed the new Flash Player today.

ArmageddonX

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
It looks like it's a new process in 3.6.4 for managing Flash?

I assume it's 100% safe as it's Signature is Mozilla Corporation and the notice does
not appear when I run Internet Explorer.

G

do a backup!
since the new plugin container hit my machine a week ago, i have had to do a lot of work with the machine to get it in a reasonable working order again. it maxed my cpu, and made doing anything at all as fast and easy as a week long root canal without novacane. just my 2 cents on the matter.

trueglide

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
do a backup!
since the new plugin container hit my machine a week ago, i have had to do a lot of work with the machine to get it in a reasonable working order again. it maxed my cpu, and made doing anything at all as fast and easy as a week long root canal without novacane. just my 2 cents on the matter.

Hey, sounds like we're in the same boat! My cpu usage jumps to 100% and the cooling fan kicks on overdrive and comp slows to an unbelievable crawl. No Idea what to do. How'd you fix yours?

Dell Latitude D810

Windows 7 ultimate

2 new gigs of ram

1 clueless SOB

Any help is a godsend

ArmageddonX

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I have never had any issues with it.

I can tell you it's a new part of Firefox that separates the Flash, Java, and Similar Plugins from Firefox itself. So if the Plugins crash then Firefox doesn't.

Firefox is trying to fix the bugs this is causing people. I'm sorry you're having problem with it. You are NOT the only one. Many people have switch to Chrome and even IE8; Boycotting Firefox until they fix the problem.

I never had it effect my CPU or PC in a negative fashion; I simply noticed it running in the background.

erss

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
In my case, at the beginning I get no problems but after some time, firefox begins to freeze now and then and finally for no reason at all it crashes all because of this plugin. Mozilla should get rid of this menace to a good web browser. By the way, the worst part is that all the pages that I had opened when it crashed cannot be recovered so I have to visit those sites manually again.

Status
Not open for further replies.