XP Installation, hard drive issue

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello

I have two hard disks in my computer, one Seagate SATA 120 GB, and
another maxtor ide 80 gb

I want to install XP on the SATA because its a faster disk.
When I start to install XP I have to put the diskette with the drivers
so it recognizes the disc.
My question is the following. If I have connected the IDE disk and the
SATA disk and I tell windows to install itself on the sata disk, it
assigns the drive letter "c" to the ide this and "d" to the sata and it
installs XP on "d" drive(sata).
To avoid that(cause I read someplace that isnt a good idea to install
xp on a drive letter different than "c") i unplug power from the ide
disk, install xp and after its installed I plug it back in. Then XP,
assigns the letter "f".

Is this normal behavior? Could this be causing any problems on my C
disk?
Thanks in advance,
-Dan

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:1113495539.280496.119280@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com,
Dan <gamesstate@gmail.com> had this to say:

> Hello
>
> I have two hard disks in my computer, one Seagate SATA 120 GB, and
> another maxtor ide 80 gb
>
> I want to install XP on the SATA because its a faster disk.
> When I start to install XP I have to put the diskette with the drivers
> so it recognizes the disc.
> My question is the following. If I have connected the IDE disk and the
> SATA disk and I tell windows to install itself on the sata disk, it
> assigns the drive letter "c" to the ide this and "d" to the sata and
> it installs XP on "d" drive(sata).
> To avoid that(cause I read someplace that isnt a good idea to install
> xp on a drive letter different than "c") i unplug power from the ide
> disk, install xp and after its installed I plug it back in. Then XP,
> assigns the letter "f".
>
> Is this normal behavior? Could this be causing any problems on my C
> disk?
> Thanks in advance,
> -Dan

Is it normal? Not really but that has to be one of the most creative work
arounds I've seen for that problem. I'll make a note of it because it's that
interesting and really simpler than some of the other things that I've read.
Could it be causing problems? It could but I doubt that it is. Are you
having any problems? If not then I'd not worry about it. If you don't want
it to be assigned the letter of F then you can change that if you'd like if
that's your problem. Start, run, compmgmt.msc, enter, disk management on the
left, in there you can change drive letters and paths.

Galen

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:1113497132.723800.102980@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
Dan <gamesstate@gmail.com> had this to say:

> About it causing problems, I do have a problem and Im not sure that is
> related to that.
> Not to repeat the problem here, theres another post at this forum
> about.
> The google group address is:
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/browse_thread/thread/79bc98e855f91547/93dfb49e0f2ea167%2393dfb49e0f2ea167
>
> Thanks for the help,
> -Dan

I have but one thing to add to the other thread... Run chkdsk /f /r if you
said to run /r and it didn't do any good or seem to do anything at all. The
short version?

/f fixes problems on the disk
/r recovers information from the bad sectors.

/r implies /f but doesn't always work.

The two in tandem don't take you any more time than it takes to type the
extra switch.

Having read your other post (I'm guessing a bit here) running chkdsk inside
the OS isn't really a good idea. You'll get strange errors. If you get
errors inside the OS and then run it outside of the OS and get no errors
there's nothing to worry about in MOST cases and in your case I'm pretty
sure you're doing fine. If you want to be certain do this.

Click Start button
Click Run
Type in CMD
Hit Enter

Is the drive you want to check the C: drive?

Type chkdsk /f /r
Hit Enter
Schedule it for reboot and reboot later when you're going to go to bed.

Is the drive a different drive? If so then for the sake of simplicity we'll
call it drive X for you.

Type chkdsk X: /f /r /x
Hit Enter

The /x is to force it to dismount the drive if nessesary and the "X:" is the
drive letter in question that you want checked.

Now that you should have two drives on your system and you have XP installed
on the SATA drive (which is the proper method) you might want to take a
minute to do a bit of research about allowing yourself a decent pagefile
size and putting it over on the IDE device. It's a great tweak and has never
had poor results but that is something you can take a look at on your own
sometime.

Another option is to reboot with your CD in the drive, select Recovery
Console as your option, and from inside there you can run chkdsk again but
the commands are chkdsk are as follow:

chkdsk /p (does a full check and repairs any problems)
ckkdsk /r (finds bad sectors and recovers the data from them)

Once agan the /r implies /p just like /f and /r above except in this mode
I've never had a problem with it nor do I know of anyone who's had a problem
with it so chkdsk /r is probably enough though, if you really want, you
could use both switches. I don't think you'd suffer any ill effects from
doing so and it most likely wouldn't take any longer than you would with
just the /r command. That's entirely up to you of course but personally I
usually just use the /r switch and call it good.

Here's the other side of the coin... NTFS is actually a very good file
formating system and is decent about covering itself. If it needs to run
chkdsk (this isn't 9x/ME with FAT anymore) it will do so on it's own and
doesn't do it that often here as it's quite capable of fixing errors on the
fly. I use the term 'fix' loosely there as it's really much better at hiding
errors on the fly but that's a conversation best saved for another time.
There are very few occasions where I've had to force the OS to checkdisk on
it's own and on my own personal systems I don't ever bother to run it.
Instead I trust in the OS to run it when it needs it to be run and basically
haven't had any issues with it thus far. (I know you're using NTFS because
of reading your other post.) Unless you're getting odd errors for no reason
and you've exhausted the other normal checks then there's truly no reason,
in my opinion, to bother with it. In this particular case, where you've done
these tests and now are worried about the results, I'd go ahead and run the
chkdsk a final time outside of the OS with the above switches (in fact I'd
personally use the Recovery Console) and let it do it's scan and fixes at a
time before you're either headed out to visit someone or going to bed. After
that I'd leave it alone and trust the OS to do it on it's own when it needs
to be done.

Galen