New Hard Drive/Data Transfer help needed

April 14, 2005 9:25:44 PM

I have a Compaq Presario Desktop PC with Win XP Home - SP2, which has a
W/Digital 40gb hard drive, which is begining to get a bit noisy (I think
anyway).
Have bought and fitted an 80gb Seagate Barracuda, which Device Mgr sees, and
BIOS has as slave to the master 40gb drive. I want to transfer everything
from the 40gb drive to the new 80gb drive, then remove the 40gb drive.
I was confident to do this until I reached this stage. Having read (too
much) about doing this, my head is now spinning.
I would be most grateful for some help and guidance to help me to do this.
Current drive has 2 partitions C: (NTFS) at 34352MB and D: (FAT32) 3794MB
(which is the Recovery Partition)
The computer supports UDMA mode 5 and has a 40 pin, 80 conductor cable,
which the Seagate requires for UATA/100 (?)
Hope this is sufficient information to encourage someone to help.

dfrog
April 14, 2005 9:25:45 PM

Have you looked into Norton Ghost? I just transferred my entire notebook 30
GB HD (including OS) to a new 60 GB HD, and it worked. (There were some
things to watch out for, not worth detailing here unless you're going that
route, though.)

"dfrog" <dfrog@lineone.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:o FwmZ6QQFHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I have a Compaq Presario Desktop PC with Win XP Home - SP2, which has a
>W/Digital 40gb hard drive, which is begining to get a bit noisy (I think
>anyway).
> Have bought and fitted an 80gb Seagate Barracuda, which Device Mgr sees,
> and BIOS has as slave to the master 40gb drive. I want to transfer
> everything from the 40gb drive to the new 80gb drive, then remove the 40gb
> drive.
> I was confident to do this until I reached this stage. Having read (too
> much) about doing this, my head is now spinning.
> I would be most grateful for some help and guidance to help me to do this.
> Current drive has 2 partitions C: (NTFS) at 34352MB and D: (FAT32) 3794MB
> (which is the Recovery Partition)
> The computer supports UDMA mode 5 and has a 40 pin, 80 conductor cable,
> which the Seagate requires for UATA/100 (?)
> Hope this is sufficient information to encourage someone to help.
>
> dfrog

April 14, 2005 9:25:46 PM

Go to the Segate web page and download their Seatools software [that is
unless it was provided with the HDD].

Us this to initialise, format and partition the HDD.

Then it can be used to clone the existing HDD.

Be careful, you may find that the transfer of Operating SYstem from 40Gb HDD
to the new one, will require a 'repair' installation.

If you have an OEM version of Xp it will not be successful as you have
changed a significant component and that it contracry to your OEM licence
agreement.

"Ken" wrote:

> Have you looked into Norton Ghost? I just transferred my entire notebook 30
> GB HD (including OS) to a new 60 GB HD, and it worked. (There were some
> things to watch out for, not worth detailing here unless you're going that
> route, though.)
>
> "dfrog" <dfrog@lineone.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o FwmZ6QQFHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >I have a Compaq Presario Desktop PC with Win XP Home - SP2, which has a
> >W/Digital 40gb hard drive, which is begining to get a bit noisy (I think
> >anyway).
> > Have bought and fitted an 80gb Seagate Barracuda, which Device Mgr sees,
> > and BIOS has as slave to the master 40gb drive. I want to transfer
> > everything from the 40gb drive to the new 80gb drive, then remove the 40gb
> > drive.
> > I was confident to do this until I reached this stage. Having read (too
> > much) about doing this, my head is now spinning.
> > I would be most grateful for some help and guidance to help me to do this.
> > Current drive has 2 partitions C: (NTFS) at 34352MB and D: (FAT32) 3794MB
> > (which is the Recovery Partition)
> > The computer supports UDMA mode 5 and has a 40 pin, 80 conductor cable,
> > which the Seagate requires for UATA/100 (?)
> > Hope this is sufficient information to encourage someone to help.
> >
> > dfrog

April 16, 2005 1:58:00 AM

Ken & BAR,
Thank you very much for your input.
Have downloaded Seatools ready to try this weekend (with a fresh head
hopefully), and am also getting other people suggesting Norton Ghost, and,
XXCLONE, which is a freeware disk cloner, evidently quite similar to
'Ghost'. Do you think this is worthwhile investigating?
dfrog

> Go to the Segate web page and download their Seatools software [that is
> unless it was provided with the HDD].
>
> Us this to initialise, format and partition the HDD.
>
> Then it can be used to clone the existing HDD.
>
> Be careful, you may find that the transfer of Operating SYstem from 40Gb
> HDD
> to the new one, will require a 'repair' installation.
>
> If you have an OEM version of Xp it will not be successful as you have
> changed a significant component and that it contracry to your OEM licence
> agreement.
>
> "Ken" wrote:
>
>> Have you looked into Norton Ghost? I just transferred my entire notebook
>> 30
>> GB HD (including OS) to a new 60 GB HD, and it worked. (There were some
>> things to watch out for, not worth detailing here unless you're going
>> that
>> route, though.)
>>
>> "dfrog" <dfrog@lineone.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:o FwmZ6QQFHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> >I have a Compaq Presario Desktop PC with Win XP Home - SP2, which has a
>> >W/Digital 40gb hard drive, which is begining to get a bit noisy (I think
>> >anyway).
>> > Have bought and fitted an 80gb Seagate Barracuda, which Device Mgr
>> > sees,
>> > and BIOS has as slave to the master 40gb drive. I want to transfer
>> > everything from the 40gb drive to the new 80gb drive, then remove the
>> > 40gb
>> > drive.
>> > I was confident to do this until I reached this stage. Having read (too
>> > much) about doing this, my head is now spinning.
>> > I would be most grateful for some help and guidance to help me to do
>> > this.
>> > Current drive has 2 partitions C: (NTFS) at 34352MB and D: (FAT32)
>> > 3794MB
>> > (which is the Recovery Partition)
>> > The computer supports UDMA mode 5 and has a 40 pin, 80 conductor cable,
>> > which the Seagate requires for UATA/100 (?)
>> > Hope this is sufficient information to encourage someone to help.
>> >
>> > dfrog

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:00:56 AM

"Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> wrote in message

> "dfrog" <dfrog@lineone.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Compaq Presario Desktop PC with Win XP Home - SP2, which has a
>> W/Digital 40gb hard drive, which is begining to get a bit noisy (I think
>> anyway).
>> Have bought and fitted an 80gb Seagate Barracuda, which Device Mgr sees,
>> and
>> BIOS has as slave to the master 40gb drive. I want to transfer everything
>> from the 40gb drive to the new 80gb drive, then remove the 40gb drive.
>> I was confident to do this until I reached this stage. Having read (too
>> much) about doing this, my head is now spinning.
>> I would be most grateful for some help and guidance to help me to do
>> this.
>> Current drive has 2 partitions C: (NTFS) at 34352MB and D: (FAT32) 3794MB
>> (which is the Recovery Partition)
>> The computer supports UDMA mode 5 and has a 40 pin, 80 conductor cable,
>> which the Seagate requires for UATA/100 (?)
>> Hope this is sufficient information to encourage someone to help.
>>
>> dfrog
>>

> Take a look at Seagate's DiscWizard (free) utility.
>
> http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.htm...
>
> Should be able to clone your existing OS to the new hard drive for you.
>
> Martin.

Martin, - - Good Call...............Thank you...............I was sat
looking at DiskWizard but needed someone to get me past my 'lost my bottle'
stage.
Thanks for doing that for me
dfrog

For anyone following this thread, this help from Martin came from another
newsgroup, but I think I should post it here.
Thanks again to Ken & BAR
!