HP Pavilion dv6-6c53nr or Refurb HP Pavilion dv6-6135DX ?

Which of the two should i stay with?

• HP Pavilion dv6-6135DX

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • HP Pavilion dv6-6cn53nr

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerohitman

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Hey peoples, im just wondering about which one of these two laptops to get.
HP Pavilion dv6-6135DX
A8-3500
6750m gpu
Blueray D
720p
(refurbished)

versus the Hp- Dv6 6cn53nr
I5
7690m xt
1080p
Free xbox 360 (already own one ,so resell)
846 with tax

I Already purchased the 6cn53nr but then saw the other one on neweggs and it made me doubt myself.I Don't really game on pc,but i've been wanting to play Skyrim on one and my current laptop is 3-5 years (T42) and would like something that could play some games on decent specs and to last me a while.The $300 difference is what is really killing me, i could buy the cheaper one and then spend the money on games and stuff or buy the expensive one and maybe get skyrim and thats it for who knows how long.

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
i have a dv6-6128ca with an a6-3410mx and a 6750m gpu and it plays games great at 1366x768 on high settings. so with the a8-3500m you would only get better performance since its a better cpu than mine,

oh and if you get the a8-3500m, disable the radeon dual graphics and only use the 6750m because you actually get worse performance with the hybrid crossfire

as for the 7690m xt is a new version of the 6770m which does very well when playing games, so its all a matter of choice, so if your going to be playing at 1080p on an external monitor then id get the 7690m xt, and if not and you dont worry about the refurbished 3 month warranty then id save the money and get the 6750m laptop

Aerohitman

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Thanks Vibrantxxninjas, im probably just going to keep the 7690 xt one.Pain in the behind to try and sell the xbox.If i can't sell it i'll probably give returning it all a shot and buying the other one if it's still on sale.

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
if money isnt a problem then the 7690xt is the way to go :) and you shouldnt have any problems selling the xbox if its still in the packaging, if its the 4GB version of the xbox then it should easily go for $175

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

hmmm couldnt help you there, ive never used ebay, i just use kijiji (im not sure if its available where you are?) but kijiji is basically a local version of ebay where people in your area can email you about what youre selling and things usually go for a good price on it,

i sold an 8 month old HP laptop that i bought for $350 and the buyer paid me $315 for it (if i didnt still have the receipt then he wouldve only done $275)

Aerohitman

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Sounds like Craigslist here in the USA.I might do that, had good results the first time i used it. Now how to make your answer the best answer...hmm

randomdrop123

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

I know that you already bought this, so this will be for anyone else that Google's "HP Pavilion dv6-6c53nr" which led me to here (I was looking for a cooling pad for this actually...).

The hardware specs on the 7690M (XT is the overclocked version) are impressive. I actually have the Dv6 6cn53nr myself and I find that everything about it is lovely...except for running some games. I'll get into that below.

Pros:
+ 1080p screen. 17". Does not have problems with Reds as Envy screens do.
+ Beats audio. I didn't think it was going to be a difference, but with decent earbuds in, there's a noticeable difference. The built-in speakers are only ok.
+ Fingerprint reader. Cool I guess. I used it for the first month, then removed it. I only use this at home, so no need for logon.
+ Built-in bluetooth (though it's not the newest one, it's only 2.1 I believe). Cool to have, but I haven't used it.
+ Chiclet-style keyboard. Could be a plus or minus. I eventually got used to using this keyboard in about 3 weeks.
+ Up to 6 hr, 30 min battery life. This was a huge reason I picked this laptop over others. You'll have to stick to the intel 3000 graphics card and lower brightness of course.
+ Switchable graphics. Saves on battery life.
+ 7690 XT's hardware specs are nice.
+ Price.

Cons:
- Wifi range is weaker than other laptops.
- Built-in webcam is terrible. I don't know if it's due to it being a measly .3 megapixel camera (the sensor is the most important thing really), but the image is usually slightly grainy and it always lags. It lags very terribly bad, even at lower resolutions. And that's just testing it with myself, using their cyberlink software. I kept the software for their cool filters/effects, but I think it's possible that the software is poor.
- Fan seems to be always on. My ventilation area isn't poor, so I don't know what's up. CoolSense technology to keep it cool is enabled and the fans seem to be loud, even when just browsing the web, with both the intel 3000 gfx and the ATI 7690 gfx. Vents are located at (From a Top-Down view): one vent on the Rear, left most side and (from Left view): the first 1/4 left side.

- BIG issue: The 7690 card's drivers.

The main speculation is that the drivers for it are poor and is causing most game problems, as evidenced here: (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/7690M-GPU-HP-HORRIBLE-DRIVER-SUPPORT/td-p/1254859)

I'll sum up what they've said so far:
- The current drivers for this card are old. They're using the ones for the 6770, which aren't up-to-date.
- Try the ATI Catalyst 12.2 Preview drivers. Better performance than the ones that come with the HP. But don't uninstall the HP ones. Instead, install it over the HP one (you need the HP one because it allows the switchable graphics).
- Other people have found some Russian guy's GFX drivers (unsigned, unofficial) called Leshcat, which boosted performance more-so than the 12.2 Preview. Some said that it has not had a significant effect in comparison to 12.2 preview and there are trust issues with some random guy's files on the internet.

Minor possible reasons for poor performance:
- Overheating. CoolSense 2.0 throttles performance to prevent overheating (possible).
- Computer is "stuck" on using Intel Graphics (possibly PowerPlay problem). Even after main fix for switchable graphics:

For main fix, go to your BIOS, change the graphics option from Dynamic to Fixed. When booted to main screen, right-click and click on Configure Switchable Graphics. Change to High Performance.
- Someone mentioned Beats Audio not being able to handle all the different sounds coming in (unconfirmed if this is relevant)

However, even with it on High Performance, many games do not seem to be running at what should be expected with its stats. Particularly, games that use OpenGL seem to suffer a lot.

Sooo....I don't know. If you really want to play games, this may not be the laptop for you. I bought it for its ability to play games on the side, but I haven't actually tried anything intensive as I haven't had the time for it yet. I've only tested it with TF2 and Psychonauts and its performance is shaky at times. Some people can get Ultra running on Battlefield 3 and SC2 with good frames (from what I've read), while SW: TOR and D3: Beta can't be played at all, even with everything set to low, so, yeah, performance is variable with some games.

I meant for it to be my portable workstation for programming, and the 1080p screen on 17" definitely helps. When I have to move around from area to area, the battery life is going to help too. Processor is great, though not the best. For my needs, the HP Pavilion dv6-6c53nr was a pretty good buy.

Edited: added some more information

Aerohitman

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Thanks for the Review Randomdrop1. My experience with this laptop is about the same.
I bought this laptop to play games on the side when im home or at a friends place.I was very disappointed witht he 7690 xt's problems but i downloaded that Russians guy drivers and i've been running Skyrim on HIGH and getting really smooth game play.I bought BF3 recently so i'll be trying that soon and i believe it'll run well.I DID switch to fixed graphics card and it's pretty smooth.Whenever im going to play a game or do something with the Graphics card i just right click my desktop and switch to it.When i finish i simply switch back and that's it. Sure i would love for it to be automatic but im not too bothered by it.My WiFi is pretty good and so is my cooling.I can't hear my fans running when im on the intel graphics.Im still not used to the keyboard but i haven't had much time to use it properly so that isn't much of a shock to me. I want to try the camera soon because that's a big thing for me, i hope it isn't too bad.THe beats audio on speakers is a bit disappointing,my old thinkpad laptop is waaaayyyyy louder but the audio is still okay.Overall, im happy with my laptop.I think this was a really solid purchase for 850 + free 360 xbox.I would recommend it to others looking for something that can play games,looks nice, and has a lot of nice stuff.

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
NEVER use HP's graphics drivers, always get them from the amd website if your going to update your gpu drivers, my dv6-6128ca with the 6750m had problems with HP's drivers and so is everyone else that ive read about so far, the most stable driver so far is the 12.1a drivers in my experience

randomdrop123

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

I'm glad that you like it. Like I said, the speakers are just okay, but if you plug in some earbuds/earphones, then you'll get some pretty good audio/bass. For me, my performance on some games take a big hit. Psychonauts can't be run with full settings, so I've had to turn off some of the advanced shaders and run at a smaller resolution. The audio sometimes glitches and skips as well. TF2 had some problems too, so I've dropped it to 1280x720 and turned off some of the nicer graphics for a playable game. This should not be happening.

I'm jealous that you got yours with a free Xbo360. I ended up paying about the same (from Newegg).

randomdrop123

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

Yes, everyone knows to get the official drivers from the AMD website instead of the manufacturer's website, but here's the thing: I've already stated that only the HP drivers support switchable graphics (between the Intel 3000 and AMD 7690 M/XT).

In the thread that I listed previously, there is no official support from AMD for the 7690 M/XT card either, so unfortunately, this is a no-go. Newer versions of the Catalyst drivers will not even install, saying that the card is not recognized/supported.

So officially, we're (at the very minimum) stuck with keeping the HP drivers for switchable graphics support.

Overlap it with some other form of driver, either 12.2 Preview, Leshcat's, or apparently a 12.6 beta (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video/7690M-GPU-HP-HORRIBLE-DRIVER-SUPPORT/m-p/1596761/highlight/true#M47690), though that person only tested it with Minecraft.

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
use the 12.1a drivers like i stated, it supports the dual switchable graphics in laptops, im using it right now and that is the latest one that they've come out with that supports it and it works absolutely perfect imo

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
oh wait ive forgotten that you are using intel/amd switchable and not amd-amd switchable so im not sure what last driver update supported the hd 3000 - amd discrete

shady hammad

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Hello mate , hello everybody
i would thank you everyone who help ppl and give his exp to them
i would ask about different between and best of them ? coz i start to get mad :)
i would to know best radeon card of them ?
i would to know if there best than them for price around 700 ~ 850 $ ?
Note : < i know price all of them is different but i am play geams and use internet and watch movie witch balanced or good price and Performance >
i like price and Possibilities last one < hp dv6-6c45ee (A7P33EA ) > give me advice about it plz

1- Toshiba Satellite S855D-S5253

AMD A10-4600M Accelerated Processor 2.3 GHz (3.2 GHz with AMD Turbo Core Technology 3.0) 4MBL2 Cache
6GB DDR3 1600MHz memory (max 16GB)
750GB (5400 RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive
15.6" diagonal widescreen TruBrite® TFT display at 1366 x 768 nativeresolution (HD), AMD Radeon HD 7660G Dual Graphics
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), SP1

2- Toshiba Satellite S855-S5268 ( most of hight price of them )

Intel Core_i7_3610QM Processor 3.3GHz
8 GB SO-DIMM RAM
750GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
15.6-Inch Screen, AMD Radeon HD 7670M Graphics 2GB DDR3
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

3- Toshiba Satellite P755D-S5172

AMD A Series Processor 2.5GHz
6GB SO-DIMM RAM
640GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
15.6-Inch Screen, AMD Radeon HD 6620G
Windows Home Premium, 5.08 hours Battery Life

4- Toshiba Satellite S855D-S5253

AMD A10-4600M Accelerated Processor 2.3 GHz (3.2 GHz with AMD Turbo Core Technology 3.0) 4MBL2 Cache
6GB DDR3 1600MHz memory (max 16GB)
750GB (5400 RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive
15.6" diagonal widescreen TruBrite® TFT display at 1366 x 768 nativeresolution (HD), AMD Radeon HD 7660G Dual Graphics
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), SP1

5- HP Pavilion dv6-6c45ee (A7P33EA )

Microprocessor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5-2450M
Microprocessor Cache 3 MB L3 cache
Memory 4 GB DDR3
Memory Max Supports up to 8 GB DDR3
Video Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7690M XT (2 GB DDR5 dedicated)
Display 39,6 cm (15,6") HD LED BrightView (1366 x 768)
Hard Drive 500 GB SATA (5400 rpm)
Multimedia Drive SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Network Card Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity Bluetooth with WiDi
Intel 802.11 b/g/n
Sound Beats Audio
Keyboard Full size with integrated numeric keypad
Pointing Device TouchPad with on/off button and support for multitouch gestures
PC Card Slots Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.