"Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low" warning

I'm running XP Pro, SP2 on my Dell Inspiron 8200. It has 1 GB of memory and
a 60 GB HD.

I just got a warning "Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low", and all I'm doing is
running Adobe Acrobat 7.0.

Any idea of what's going on?

Thanks.
Ken
6 answers Last reply
More about virtual memory minimum warning

    Hi

    Please see the following article:

    "Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running XP Pro, SP2 on my Dell Inspiron 8200. It has 1 GB of memory
    > and a 60 GB HD.
    >
    > I just got a warning "Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low", and all I'm doing
    > is running Adobe Acrobat 7.0.
    >
    > Any idea of what's going on?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Ken

    Thanks. Skimmed it, but not in detail yet. Question: It doesn't seem to
    address the issue of whether to let Windows set the size... any harm in
    doing that?

    > Thanks. Skimmed it, but not in detail yet. Question: It doesn't seem to
    > address the issue of whether to let Windows set the size... any harm in
    > doing that?
    No, in fact that is what most users should do.
    Jim
  4. Hello,
    For what it's worth I had a constant problem forever with the virtual memory too low message on my Dell Inspiron 9300.

    I talked to "technicians" at a variety of places and got all kinds of possible reasons. Everything from programs "leaking", got a virus, RAM corrupted, too little RAM, bad hard drive, ya da ya da ya da. I was slow to go with any one of these reason however I did wind up increasing RAM from 2 x 256Mb to 2 x 1Gb. Would love to say this was the issue but it wasn't.

    On a recent visit to a relative's house, I was having a hard time connecting to their wireless network. Ran through all the trouble shooting I could find at help and on line. Just for grins and giggles, I decided to try a USB wireless network adapter they had there. In doing so I also "disabled" the connection listed for the internal wireless card. Boom, connection problem fixed (I thought that's all that was done).

    When I got back to my home location, I was having the same problem connecting. I decided to take a ride over to the local Wally
    World and picked up a USB wireless network adapter. Installed it on my computer and no connection problems. As a bonus I've also not received any of the nasty virtual memory messages I had been getting on a regular basis AT ALL. My computer also seems to be running better overall.

    I'm not a tech and not really versed but this did in fact fix my problem. I suggest anyone with the VM message do the same (borrow an adapter to check it out if possible) and for less than $50.00 you're home free!
  5. Your situation isn't a global fix. First thing to try would have been updating the drivers for the wireless card you already had. It's not unusual for a bad driver to cause a memory leak. You could have saved yourself $50.00. A BIOS update wouldn't have hurt, either.

    However, suggesting that everyone getting the same message should run out an buy a new USB wireless adapter is a bit misguided. Not everyone will have the same problem for the same reason. Always keep your drivers / Windows up to date... you might save yourself some headaches and some money as well.
  6. Zoron is correct!

    I'm not saying I'm a tech or that this is a fixall. I suggested that anyone wanting to look into this attempt to borrow an adapter to see if it solves the issue. I did attempt to update the driver for the installed adapter and it wouldn't take for some reason.

    I do think my situation was best resolved in this manner however I indicated that evidently there isn't any one definitive cause or solution to the dreaded VM message at least according to the answers I got from various sources while trying to figure this out.

    Bios update is not something I'm familiar with and I'll look into that, thanks for the tip.

Virtual Memory Windows XP