"Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low" warning

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm running XP Pro, SP2 on my Dell Inspiron 8200. It has 1 GB of memory and
a 60 GB HD.

I just got a warning "Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low", and all I'm doing is
running Adobe Acrobat 7.0.

Any idea of what's going on?

Thanks.
Ken

G

Hi

Please see the following article:

"Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ubsP19RQFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I'm running XP Pro, SP2 on my Dell Inspiron 8200. It has 1 GB of memory
> and a 60 GB HD.
>
> I just got a warning "Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low", and all I'm doing
> is running Adobe Acrobat 7.0.
>
> Any idea of what's going on?
>
> Thanks.
> Ken

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Thanks. Skimmed it, but not in detail yet. Question: It doesn't seem to
address the issue of whether to let Windows set the size... any harm in
doing that?

"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:ux7GkCSQFHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> Please see the following article:
>
> "Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
>
> "Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:ubsP19RQFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> I'm running XP Pro, SP2 on my Dell Inspiron 8200. It has 1 GB of memory
>> and a 60 GB HD.
>>
>> I just got a warning "Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low", and all I'm doing
>> is running Adobe Acrobat 7.0.
>>
>> Any idea of what's going on?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Ken
>
>

Jim

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004

"Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uRUfnhSQFHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Thanks. Skimmed it, but not in detail yet. Question: It doesn't seem to
> address the issue of whether to let Windows set the size... any harm in
> doing that?
No, in fact that is what most users should do.
Jim

mlang0322

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Hello,
For what it's worth I had a constant problem forever with the virtual memory too low message on my Dell Inspiron 9300.

I talked to "technicians" at a variety of places and got all kinds of possible reasons. Everything from programs "leaking", got a virus, RAM corrupted, too little RAM, bad hard drive, ya da ya da ya da. I was slow to go with any one of these reason however I did wind up increasing RAM from 2 x 256Mb to 2 x 1Gb. Would love to say this was the issue but it wasn't.

On a recent visit to a relative's house, I was having a hard time connecting to their wireless network. Ran through all the trouble shooting I could find at help and on line. Just for grins and giggles, I decided to try a USB wireless network adapter they had there. In doing so I also "disabled" the connection listed for the internal wireless card. Boom, connection problem fixed (I thought that's all that was done).

When I got back to my home location, I was having the same problem connecting. I decided to take a ride over to the local Wally
World and picked up a USB wireless network adapter. Installed it on my computer and no connection problems. As a bonus I've also not received any of the nasty virtual memory messages I had been getting on a regular basis AT ALL. My computer also seems to be running better overall.

I'm not a tech and not really versed but this did in fact fix my problem. I suggest anyone with the VM message do the same (borrow an adapter to check it out if possible) and for less than $50.00 you're home free!

Your situation isn't a global fix. First thing to try would have been updating the drivers for the wireless card you already had. It's not unusual for a bad driver to cause a memory leak. You could have saved yourself $50.00. A BIOS update wouldn't have hurt, either.

However, suggesting that everyone getting the same message should run out an buy a new USB wireless adapter is a bit misguided. Not everyone will have the same problem for the same reason. Always keep your drivers / Windows up to date... you might save yourself some headaches and some money as well.

mlang0322

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Zoron is correct!

I'm not saying I'm a tech or that this is a fixall. I suggested that anyone wanting to look into this attempt to borrow an adapter to see if it solves the issue. I did attempt to update the driver for the installed adapter and it wouldn't take for some reason.

I do think my situation was best resolved in this manner however I indicated that evidently there isn't any one definitive cause or solution to the dreaded VM message at least according to the answers I got from various sources while trying to figure this out.

Bios update is not something I'm familiar with and I'll look into that, thanks for the tip.