Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which one to choose!!!!!!!!!!dell or sony!!1

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
June 7, 2012 7:16:00 PM

i am in real dilemma to go for sony or dell for laptops!!! both hv great options and since i hv a low budget of around $600,so which brand i shud prefer,sony e-series or dell inspiron!!!! i need a laptop with good graphics,lesser heating problem and of all it should require least maintenance...please help asap!!!

More about : choose dell sony

June 7, 2012 7:32:10 PM

what will you be using the laptop for? gaming? video editing? browsing the web?
m
l
June 7, 2012 7:43:47 PM

so brand wise u are asking which is better?

personally, i would say the are equal

if u provide the model numbers or specs of the laptops we can be more helpful
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2012 6:09:50 PM

YOU ALL ASKED FOR SELECTED MODELS, THEN FOR MY PRICE RANGE I HAVE SELECTED THESE TWO MODELS FROM DELL AND SONY.
DELL15R(N5050)
Processor 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i3-2350M processor (2.30 GHz, 1333, 3M cache)
Operating System Windows® 7 Home Basic SP1 64bit (English)
Display 15.6" HD WLED True-Life (1366x768)
Memory3 2GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
Hard Drive 500GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Video Card Intel® HD Graphics 3000
SONY E-SERIES(VPCE)-VPCEH35EN/W
Operating System
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Basic with Service Pack 1 64bit (English Version)
Architecture
Processor Name Intel® Core™ i3-2350M Processor 2.30 GHz*1
Chipset Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
Cache Memory 3 MB (L3 Cache)
Main Memory
Pre-installed/Max 2 GB (2 GB (SO-DIMM) x 1) DDR3 SDRAM*2 (upgradeable up to 8 GB*3)
SO-DIMM slots DDR3 SO-DIMM slots (Unused Memory slot 1)
Memory Speed 1333 MT/s
Hard Disk Drive 320 GB*4 (Serial ATA, 5400 rpm)
Graphics
Graphics Accelerator NVIDIA® GeForce® 410M GPU
Dedicated Video Memory 512 MB DDR3
Display
Type 15.5 (39.37 cms) wide (WXGA: 1366 x 768) TFT colour display (VAIO Display, LED backlight).
OVERALL BOTH HAVE ALMOST SAME SPECS, BUT, THERE ARE TWO BIG DILEMMA'S I'M FACING ARE-
1. AS I'M A LITTLE BIT GAME FREAK AND SONY'S GIVEN MODEL HAS A NVIDIA® GeForce® 410M GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR SO IT ATTRACTS ME,BUT WITH LESS STORAGE OF 320GB,
ON THE OTHER SIDE DELL GIVES A LARGER STORAGE CAPACITY OF 500GB BUT INTEL HD GRAPHICS.
2. SECONDLY, I'M LITTLE CONFUSED OVER THE PACKAGE GIVEN BY DELL IN COMPARISION TO SONY,I MEAN IS IT WORTH GOING TOWARDS DELL,I FEAR IF DELL TURNS OUT TO BE BUNDLE OF CHEAP THINGS!!!
THE MODELS ARE----

m
l
June 8, 2012 6:13:40 PM

ONE MORE THING--
please diffrentiate btw 2nd GEN i3 and the normal i3,coz dell has got the newer one!!!!
m
l
June 8, 2012 6:37:27 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspiron-17R-7110-Laptop-I...

this is a "refurb" that will beat everything that those have hands down for the same budget. It has 1 yr warranty, better cpu, better hard drive, more ram, larger screen.

You can find similar 15 inch ones for the same rough figure.... Search ebay in laptops section for gt 525m, include descriptions and rank by price. Several refurb like new avaiable.

The gt 525m is a GOOD gpu. Can play crysis 2 at high details... see notebookcheck benchmarks for the gpu's The gt 410m is not much better than the HD3000, and both suck compared to the gt 525m
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2012 6:46:27 PM

I would get an asus as those 2 brands are not trustworthy
m
l
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2012 7:03:34 PM

moitradee said:
ONE MORE THING--
please diffrentiate btw 2nd GEN i3 and the normal i3,coz dell has got the newer one!!!!

both have the SAME cpu i3-2350M.

now could you knidly LINK both model since the "cut and paste" method made the amount of RAM indistinguishable
Memory3 2GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

wth is that ? 6 gigs?!?!?
m
l
June 9, 2012 5:38:22 AM

@looniam
both have same RAM 2gb DDR3!!
m
l
June 9, 2012 5:42:51 AM

EBAY SUCKS, I WOULD PREFER A RETAILER OR A STANTARD SHOWROOM FOR BUYING MY LAPPY!!!
PLEASE DIFFRENTIATE AND SUGGEST BETWEEN THE TWO OR ANY OR MODEL FROM SONY AND DELL ONLY???
PLZZ PLZZZ PLZZZZ CONSIDER THE POINTS THAT I HAVE ASKED AND MENTIONED!!!
m
l
June 9, 2012 5:43:21 AM

None of those are very good for graphics. They would suck at any kind of gaming unless your playing farmville.
m
l
June 9, 2012 5:46:01 AM

HMM!!!!!!!!! but suggest me a lappy for the given price range!!! i.e. $600!!
m
l
June 9, 2012 6:08:45 AM

is is worth giving more bucks for the sony one or dell is good??
m
l
June 9, 2012 6:12:39 AM

vibrantxxninjas said:
what will you be using the laptop for? gaming? video editing? browsing the web?

a bit of gaming and normal browsing and entertainment purpose!!
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:10:09 AM

hmm INTEL HD3000 and GeForce 410M are almost same over performance but don't u think a dedicated graphics accelerator is better??
and suggest me which worth buying between the two models or any other??
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:15:23 AM

Well for 600$ your not going to get very much in terms of performance in games. For that you would need at least 1000$ unless you buy a black friday laptop from Walmart for example.
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:19:29 AM

datswhy i want to go for sony e series and dell inspiron!!! these models are under ma range, so plz advice me a good model between the two??
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2012 7:28:37 AM

to be honest, as others have said this is not something to game on; even playing diablo3 will be horrible at the lowest details.
even though a dedicated graphics is better, at this level and the difference, it really isn't a deal breaker.
to ME what is a deal breaker is the hard drive space; 500GBs vs. 320GBs.

the cpu is the same. the graphics is barely different. RAM is the same. so hard drive space is what i'd look at for more room for applications, movies and music.
June 9, 2012 7:31:22 AM

@looniam thnxx a lot!!!
but wat about brand name sony or dell?? which would be more trustworthy in long term performance without any probs??
m
l
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2012 7:34:43 AM

i believe dell is the one with the bigger hard drive. and they are pretty good with their customer support . . .
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:45:01 AM

I'M LITTLE CONFUSED OVER THE PACKAGE GIVEN BY DELL IN COMPARISION TO SONY,I MEAN IS IT WORTH GOING TOWARDS DELL,I FEAR IF DELL TURNS OUT TO BE BUNDLE OF CHEAP THINGS!!!
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:54:15 AM

Best answer selected by moitradee.
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2012 8:01:48 AM

For your budget, AMD APU is the better choice.
m
l
June 9, 2012 8:03:19 AM

hmm but i need to go for sony!!
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2012 8:05:47 AM

How about a Lenovo?
m
l
June 9, 2012 9:44:51 AM

^^ The OP seems really stuck on brand and doesn't really understand performance issues at all.

I agree, that lenovo would kick butt, however this guy obviously doesn't really need a good machine at all. Best let him buy his sony.

His priority is that it is branded and "works". God only knows why he is on this forum.

P.S. Both the Ebay sellers I listed have huge good feedback and offer warranty on the goods which are new "open box" machines. I wouldn't suggest something I wouldn't go for myself.

I bought an inspiron 15R n5110 (the one with the gt 525m) proof: see my feedback

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedbac...

The gt 525m is exactly the same GPU as the gt 550m with a lower clock (see notebookcheck) I overclock mine, but even on stock it pillages games.

Anyone else reading this thread looking for a great value gaming notebook need not look further than this.
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2012 9:50:36 AM

So what's the core/shader/memory after you OC it?
m
l
June 9, 2012 5:57:46 PM

americanbrian said:
^^ The OP seems really stuck on brand and doesn't really understand performance issues at all.

I agree, that lenovo would kick butt, however this guy obviously doesn't really need a good machine at all. Best let him buy his sony.

His priority is that it is branded and "works". God only knows why he is on this forum.

P.S. Both the Ebay sellers I listed have huge good feedback and offer warranty on the goods which are new "open box" machines. I wouldn't suggest something I wouldn't go for myself.

I bought an inspiron 15R n5110 (the one with the gt 525m) proof: see my feedback

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedbac...

The gt 525m is exactly the same GPU as the gt 550m with a lower clock (see notebookcheck) I overclock mine, but even on stock it pillages games.

Anyone else reading this thread looking for a great value gaming notebook need not look further than this.

exactly, ive been reading this thread and just shaking my head about how stuck on SONY and DELL the OP is...
m
l
June 9, 2012 6:00:35 PM

hey dudes these two brands are only available in our locality and only these two have there customer support available in my area,so i'm bound to choose btw two of them!!
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:42:57 PM

Pyree said:
So what's the core/shader/memory after you OC it?

At the moment I stick to only OC'ing the core/shader to match the 550m which is 740Mhz core/ 1480Mhz shader... I don't bother with OC'ing the memory as from what I have heard it doesn't yield nearly as much improvement and I have had issues with overheating GDDR on a few cards before.

I basically just match the 550m exactly and have no stability or heat issues. I am happy with that. I have seen people voltage mod it alongside dropping the CPU voltage too in order to crank the GPU core up over 800 (820 is highest I have heard of)... A bit too suicidal for me given that I could only just convince my wife to let me spend money on the laptop in the first place.

I plan to upgrade the CPU (to an i7 2720qm) and grab an SSD (256GB OCZ agility 3, I know i need to firmware update to avoid cold boot issues, but the price is amazing right now) for future to keep it usable for a long time.
m
l
June 9, 2012 7:51:51 PM

moitradee said:
hey dudes these two brands are only available in our locality and only these two have there customer support available in my area,so i'm bound to choose btw two of them!!

The first one I listed was a dell with a 1 year dell warranty and it comes in under your budget. AND it would just gobble up both your suggestions in every way. MORE RAM, LARGER HARD DRIVE, FASTER CPU, BETTER GRAPHICS.

Basically just a far superior machine, boxed in brand new condition refurbed BY THE MANUFACTURER...i.e. DELL.

You come across as someone who comes on here, asking for advice who gets lots of really good suggestions and then completely ignores them.

I am not trying to be mean, just a little confused why you bother...

m
l
June 9, 2012 8:28:36 PM

moitradee said:

so you're not willing to order something online?? you can only buy local?
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2012 11:27:41 PM

Only 2 brand available? Where are you in? No HP, Lenovo, Acer, etc? They are the big company in laptop along with Dell. By comparison Sony is small. I am going to Google search until you find something better.
m
l
June 10, 2012 1:34:46 AM

hp's are avlbl but i 've heard alot about there heating problem!!
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 10, 2012 1:44:47 AM

That was so ancient (DVX000). The DV6 and DV7 are doing fine. BTW, at $600, the laptop are all plastic/partial plastic with smallish cooling regardless of the brand. Also, a lot of the time, the overheating problem is a non issue. It is only raised by the user but does not affect the hardware performance. This happens when users who only use desktop and know about normal desktop temperature, got a laptop and all of a sudden see 55 degree Celsius idle and 85 degree Celsius on full load and screaming their head off.
m
l
June 10, 2012 2:19:18 PM

moitradee said:
hp's are avlbl but i 've heard alot about there heating problem!!

actually DELL is the one with the heating problem when it comes to gaming, a lot of their laptops crash when they game and the only way people have been able to fix it is by extremely underclocking the cpu down to like 60% performance (this is on the inspiron models) but the xps models ($1000) do just fine

I have an hp dv6 that i bought 3 weeks ago and it stays very cool when i game, i bought it for $600 and it can play most games on high settings and some on medium
m
l
June 27, 2012 9:38:41 AM

^^ They use crappy TIM on the inspiron, I opened mine up and changed it to MX-3 and have seen a large reduction in temps.

The stuff they use is dry and solid and looks like it could crack easily, in fact it removes too easily compared to other TIM I have cleaned. I didn't even need any IPA to come off clean from the CPU and GPU.
m
l
July 3, 2012 6:58:00 PM

americanbrian said:
^^ They use crappy TIM on the inspiron, I opened mine up and changed it to MX-3 and have seen a large reduction in temps.

The stuff they use is dry and solid and looks like it could crack easily, in fact it removes too easily compared to other TIM I have cleaned. I didn't even need any IPA to come off clean from the CPU and GPU.

yeah ive heard it was a problem with the heatsink they were using since it is shared between the cpu and gpu (although its that way with most laptops anyways) but i never thought about the thermal paste being the problem, im glad youve fixed the temps though!
m
l
!