Presenting your Computer-Ati 9800pro demo !

DrAmar

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I am just about finished building my first computer, and I am ready to show it off to my friends, who all said I couldn't do it, or at least that my comp. could never be as good as the one from DELL. (Since Dell has all the comp. engineers working for them and I am only a medical student :) etc. )

Anyhow, I want to prepare a presentation for them, and show them just how superior my com. is to the run of the mill 500$ to 1000$ OEM one. I am planning to download the usuall performance tests (3DMark®03, PCMark™04,Memtest86,SiSoftware Sandra 2004 and Aquamark) but I am afraid that numbers won't mean a lot to them, since they are not a whole lot into comps.

Because of that I would like to know is there an ATI demo (Or something similar) that I could download, and which would showcase some beautiful graphics and special effects of my vid. card (ATI RADEON 9800PRO).

Thanks,

My other specs. are (abbrevated)
Athlon 2500XP OC'ed to 3200XP
ASUS A7N8X-E Dekuxe MB (Nvidia NForce2-400 ultra)
Corsair 2x256 Dual Channel XMS Memory (CAS 2)
Seagate 80Gb SATA HD
SAPPHIRE Radeon 9800PRO etc. etc.

I don't even believe in JEBUS!
Homer, you are on the flight to a remote island where you will be doing some missionary work.
SAVE ME JEBUS!!!!!!

gobeavers

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
well, 3dmark 03 actually shows the rendering, so you can watch the "game", it doesnt just show the number. Just run that on their computer, and on yours, you will see the difference in frames per second.

Anxiously awaiting grantsdale...

Also, go to the Catalyst review, I've linked a few benchies there.

The most stunning one apart from the ones you listed would be <A HREF="http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/index.html" target="_new">Rthdribl v1.2</A>, which truely showcases some great effects. It ONLY runs on DX9 hardware, and the better the system the better of course. You can even chose the object being rendered to be a Crystal or Ceramic SKULL which really looks impressive IMO. It'll bring every system to it's knees if you set the settings high enough. And if any one of the guys have a Dell with an FX card in it this demo really does play to the Radeon's PixelShader2.0 strengths.

ATI of course has their own demos and downloads that you can sample;

<A HREF="http://www.ati.com/developer/demos.html" target="_new">http://www.ati.com/developer/demos.html</A>

And I'm not sure if you can still do it, but you used to be able to run nV's FX-only dawn demo on ATI cards, but I don't have the link anymore, at one time we even posted the link to removing her garments. :evil:

Perhaps someone else still has that bookmarked somewhere.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

JoeB

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2003
I can just see it happening, those peeps staring at your display totally stunned. Then one of 'em says it's just a movie.....:S haha, then try to convince them otherwise

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Dawn with the nude patch.

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2106920" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

DrAmar

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks guys,

Looks like you have already given a lot of thought of how to present your computers :). Anyhow, I will try all of them, and see which one is the best.

Ps. I also want to download the dawn demo, but since it is nvida and I have ATI are you guys sure I won't be embarrassed? Like the demo suddenly crashing or freezing etc?

I don't even believe in JEBUS!
Homer, you are on the flight to a remote island where you will be doing some missionary work.
SAVE ME JEBUS!!!!!!

pauldh

Illustrious
Just let them game on it. It should speak for itself.

It's really simple to explain. When you build your own system, you decide exactly what you want/need and where to put every penny. Yes Dell gets the parts for far less than you. Sure they are the experts, but their expertees are in building a system that they can market and make the most profit on, not building a computer where every dollar is used where it best meets your needs.

To further explain it, you could also point out the fact that Dell mixes high end CPU's with the FX5200 in there top computers. Helps them sell by "Numbers" or MHz. They just stopped having the FX5200 as standard in their XPS ultra gamer (which was hilarious). But it still is the norm for their 8300 line. Any under-educated person who buys an advertised Dell without modifying it first, has found a nice way of buying an expensive 3D slide projector. But how many people do just that. And if hope to play games yet don't know themselves what makes a great gaming rig, look out. Need computer, buy Dell. Oh wow, 3.2GHZ XPS ultra gaming rig only $1600 when Alienware charges over $3000. Easy decision. Buy the Dell. Yet how ultra high performance do they find that FX5200.

So pick a Dell advertised in a computer magazine that is priced near what you spent. If it has integrated graphics or an FX5200, your system will destroy it in games. Nice rig you built. Have fun showing it off.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pauldh on 03/10/04 06:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Dawn won't run without the warapper/Patch I was talking about. And then you can get another add on to un-wrap-her and reveal HER patch! :evil:

I'll see if I can find some info here at work, and post it in a bit.

The only reason it's cool is because this was supposed to be FX only.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Yeah it appears that Rachet's (the auteur of that thread) link at Beyond 3D doesn't work anymore, and it doesn't work in that thread either, but going to the Rage link below his post has the zipped file still there. And be sure to read the blurb about using the Catalyst 3.4 drivers to allow the Wrapper to work.

<A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=a287fe29b1ada453d0c42f94452bbdf7&threadid=33722180&highlight=dawn" target="_new">CoolS's Link made Clicky</A>

and

<A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/content/articles/atidawning/" target="_new">The Direct link to the Rage3D article with the wrapper</A>

<A HREF="http://www.gamershell.com/download_3899.shtml" target="_new">NakedDawn Patch Exposure, errr. I mean Exposure Patch!</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 03/10/04 05:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
nah all u have to do is d/l this opengl thing, than all driver could work, just read that thread

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D

Actually you need to unpack part of one driver into your current drivers. Personally I don't plan on running this every day it's usually a one time deally thing for most people, so reverting to 3,4 and then back again is easier and less hassles and chance to screw up IMO.

agcheavin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2004
Looking forward to trying out the Dawn patch....what can I say,

<font color=red>AMD 2700 XP<font color=red>
<font color=red>Gecube 9800 pro Extreme<font color=red>
<font color=blue>ASUS A7N8X deluxe<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>1024 meg Dual Channel DDR 3200<font color=blue>

Actually at work it's hurry-up and wait. MAssive amounts of work at a time, and then wait for a whole crap of stuff to test (down time of usually 30mins to 2hrs), then fix stuff that didn't work, or then move on to the next task/job. Could be worse, could have a obring job where I didn't get to surf in that down time. :wink:

peterfagg

Distinguished
May 13, 2003
Read this post a while ago and finally got round to installing it last night. Runs nice and smooth on 9800 pro. Got bored after a while and uninstalled it, except that the folder didn't completely go, but I managed to delete it anyway.

Main problem is, now several fonts on my XP install are italicised all the time - like the bar on the left of THG, when windows shuts down and a few friends' fonts in MSN.

Any ideas?

Cheers