Login troubles

A friend's pc (XP,sp2) will not log into a new account setup from the admin
account. this is the error message:

'Detail: the system cannot find the file specified'

the account setup was ok and the new account (ltd one) DOES show up in the
'User Accounts' window. ???

thanx ahead of time for any help here
2 answers Last reply
More about login troubles

    I would recommend the following steps:

    1) Relogin as admin
    2) Delete the user account
    3) Go to the C:\Documents and Settings folder and erase the folder named for
    the user. This way you can verify the profile has been wiped out.
    4) Recreate the user and try logging back in

    Good Luck!

    "m1cro4xpc man" wrote:

    > A friend's pc (XP,sp2) will not log into a new account setup from the admin
    > account. this is the error message:
    >
    > 'Detail: the system cannot find the file specified'
    >
    > the account setup was ok and the new account (ltd one) DOES show up in the
    > 'User Accounts' window. ???
    >
    > thanx ahead of time for any help here

    thanx for the reply but since the account won't open up even for the first
    time no folder in C:\Documents and Settings exists yet. Also, I did remove
    the originally-named 2nd acct that way
    what also is weird is that the main acct name is called 'User' even tho the
    name on the login screen is something else!!
    does this extra info help??

    "Jonathan Miller" wrote:

    > I would recommend the following steps:
    >
    > 1) Relogin as admin
    > 2) Delete the user account
    > 3) Go to the C:\Documents and Settings folder and erase the folder named for
    > the user. This way you can verify the profile has been wiped out.
    > 4) Recreate the user and try logging back in
    >
    > Good Luck!
    >
    > "m1cro4xpc man" wrote:
    >
    > > A friend's pc (XP,sp2) will not log into a new account setup from the admin
    > > account. this is the error message:
    > >
    > > 'Detail: the system cannot find the file specified'
    > >
    > > the account setup was ok and the new account (ltd one) DOES show up in the
    > > 'User Accounts' window. ???
    > >
    > > thanx ahead of time for any help here

Windows XP