no cursor in password box at login screen

after one user logs out, I select my account at the login screen, and there
is no cursor in the password box, and it won't accept any text. The only thng
that works is to restart.

it's an administrator account. No new software for several months. no new
hardware except for Linksys wireless access point and router one month ago.

I'm thinking reparative reinstall, but I'm relatively new to XP (though I
was thought of as the "go to" guy for 95/98), so I'm looking for some
experience to learn from.

tia,
owk
4 answers Last reply
More about cursor password login screen

    =?Utf-8?B?b3dr?= <owk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > after one user logs out, I select my account at the login screen,
    > and there is no cursor in the password box, and it won't accept any
    > text. The only thng that works is to restart.

    I am having a similar problem which I think began after installing the
    most recent set of Windows updates. If I logged out and then tried to
    login I found what you described.

    I am able to avoid restarting by twice pressing ctl-alt-del to get the
    old style login prompt which does allow me to enter my password and
    login.

    By playing around a bit I found that if I disabled Fast User Switching
    which I do not use then I could login right after I logged out. This
    would have been ok...but then I noticed that after being logged in for
    some indeterminate but longish time, *then* when I logged out I faced the
    original problem again.

    One solution would be to disable the friendly login screen and just go
    with the old-style login prompt, but I'd like to know what's going on
    here and preferably fix the problem.

    Michael

    "Michael" wrote:

    > =?Utf-8?B?b3dr?= <owk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >
    > > after one user logs out, I select my account at the login screen,
    > > and there is no cursor in the password box, and it won't accept any
    > > text. The only thng that works is to restart.
    >
    > I am having a similar problem which I think began after installing the
    > most recent set of Windows updates. If I logged out and then tried to
    > login I found what you described.
    >
    > I am able to avoid restarting by twice pressing ctl-alt-del to get the
    > old style login prompt which does allow me to enter my password and
    > login.
    >
    > By playing around a bit I found that if I disabled Fast User Switching
    > which I do not use then I could login right after I logged out. This
    > would have been ok...but then I noticed that after being logged in for
    > some indeterminate but longish time, *then* when I logged out I faced the
    > original problem again.
    >
    > One solution would be to disable the friendly login screen and just go
    > with the old-style login prompt, but I'd like to know what's going on
    > here and preferably fix the problem.
    >
    > Michael

    Actually, one of my housemates did d/l the latest upgrades recently, and
    that is about the time the problem started. I'd prefer the old style login,
    but this is the "House Computer" and I have to keep it user-friendly, and as
    simple as possible. The Ctrl-Alt-Del method sounds better to me for keeping
    peace in the household. Or, I could just use my laptop, and let them stew...

    thanks Michael,
    owk

    just an FYI: I d/l'ed the newest updates testerday, and it seems that they
    have fixed the prob.

    owk

    "Michael" wrote:

    > =?Utf-8?B?b3dr?= <owk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >
    > > after one user logs out, I select my account at the login screen,
    > > and there is no cursor in the password box, and it won't accept any
    > > text. The only thng that works is to restart.
    >
    > I am having a similar problem which I think began after installing the
    > most recent set of Windows updates. If I logged out and then tried to
    > login I found what you described.
    >
    > I am able to avoid restarting by twice pressing ctl-alt-del to get the
    > old style login prompt which does allow me to enter my password and
    > login.
    >
    > By playing around a bit I found that if I disabled Fast User Switching
    > which I do not use then I could login right after I logged out. This
    > would have been ok...but then I noticed that after being logged in for
    > some indeterminate but longish time, *then* when I logged out I faced the
    > original problem again.
    >
    > One solution would be to disable the friendly login screen and just go
    > with the old-style login prompt, but I'd like to know what's going on
    > here and preferably fix the problem.
    >
    > Michael

  4. :hello: Answer: Go to Control Panel, User accounts, User accounts, Change the way Users Logon on or off, and then uncheck the boxes.
    Reboot then recheck the boxes and reboot.
    Your done. :o
    The process has has been reinitialized and you always have a cursor. :bounce:

Cursor Login Windows XP