What monitor overlay is this???

I had a Space Invaders with that same overlay on it, (not that it's
correct though) and always wondered about it's origin.

Mike Doyle

guinness

An SI derivitive was my first reaction...

tim (NH)

"kilkeeslps@aol.com" <syncbus@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I had a Space Invaders with that same overlay on it, (not that it's
> correct though) and always wondered about it's origin.
>
> Mike Doyle

I could check my space encounters and see what it looks like..

I bought an overlay recently, and planned on posting it the same way
to find out what it is.

Looking at your overlay, i'd agree to either Space Encounters or a
Space Invader varient. I don't ever remember actually seeing Space
Encounters in the arcade, but from the pictures i've seen it looks
like a possible match.

The overlay I bought was supposed to be from Star Castle. But I
determined it's not from Star Castle. It's very similar looking, but
is a standard flat overlay unlike the one for Star Castle & Armor
Attack, which have rounded edges & foam rests to hold them in place.

The overlay I bought has rings like Star Castle, but has gradients,
etc. I noticed a date of 1980 and some initials.

My first thought was this might be the rare Asteroids overlay I heard
about, and remember seeing on the very first Asteroids I ever saw.
Seemed odd that the first Asteroids I saw had an overlay on it that
looked like Star Castle.

For many years I assumed it had come from a Star Castle, until I read
about other people reporting the same thing.

The only problem with this theory is the date of 1980 rather than 1979
when Asteroids came out.

This overlay is certainly very easy to mistake for Star Castle.

Any ideas? I'll post the pic soon.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:41:00 -0500, mrcrazy <mrcrazy@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>I KNOW i know the game, but cant for the life of me remember what game
>it goes to:
>
>http://www.classic-arcades.com/images/overlay.JPG
>
>Please guys, what game does this go to?
>
>thanks,
>
>Greg

guinness

Nate, I'm not sure if the star castle cocktail has the gel overlay or
flat...maybe what you
have is a cocktail overlay. I've seen dozens of uprights but the flat one
you're referring to must be the same type listed on ebay right now (listed
as
a NOS star castle).

tim (NH)

"Nate Goulet" <askifyouwantaaddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I bought an overlay recently, and planned on posting it the same way
> to find out what it is.
>
> Looking at your overlay, i'd agree to either Space Encounters or a
> Space Invader varient. I don't ever remember actually seeing Space
> Encounters in the arcade, but from the pictures i've seen it looks
> like a possible match.
>

> The overlay I bought was supposed to be from Star Castle. But I
> determined it's not from Star Castle. It's very similar looking, but
> is a standard flat overlay unlike the one for Star Castle & Armor
> Attack, which have rounded edges & foam rests to hold them in place.
>
> The overlay I bought has rings like Star Castle, but has gradients,
> etc. I noticed a date of 1980 and some initials.
>
> My first thought was this might be the rare Asteroids overlay I heard
> about, and remember seeing on the very first Asteroids I ever saw.
> Seemed odd that the first Asteroids I saw had an overlay on it that
> looked like Star Castle.
>
> For many years I assumed it had come from a Star Castle, until I read
> about other people reporting the same thing.
>
> The only problem with this theory is the date of 1980 rather than 1979
> when Asteroids came out.
>
> This overlay is certainly very easy to mistake for Star Castle.
>
> Any ideas? I'll post the pic soon.
>
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:41:00 -0500, mrcrazy <mrcrazy@adelphia.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I KNOW i know the game, but cant for the life of me remember what game
>>it goes to:
>>
>>http://www.classic-arcades.com/images/overlay.JPG
>>
>>Please guys, what game does this go to?
>>
>>thanks,
>>
>>Greg

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

I was thinking space encounters but it doesn't look right. Is the bottom
curled over??

"mrcrazy" <mrcrazy@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I KNOW i know the game, but cant for the life of me remember what game
> it goes to:
>
> http://www.classic-arcades.com/images/overlay.JPG
>
> Please guys, what game does this go to?
>
> thanks,
>
> Greg

yes a little, but space encounter was a horizontal monitor, this looks
like it goes to a vertical monitor...im thinking maybe astro fighter?

Greg

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:41:00 +1000, "VaxX" <geoff_gunn@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I was thinking space encounters but it doesn't look right. Is the bottom
>curled over??
>

>"mrcrazy" <mrcrazy@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> I KNOW i know the game, but cant for the life of me remember what game
>> it goes to:
>>
>> http://www.classic-arcades.com/images/overlay.JPG
>>
>> Please guys, what game does this go to?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Greg

My overlay is for a 19" monitor.
I'd assume overlays for cocktail monitor would smaller.

Also, I don't think Star Castle overlays have any gradients, just
solid colors. Otherwise it is very similar to Star Castle. I still
need to post the picture.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.