The page cannot be displayed SP2, IE6

My hard drive crashed, so installed new hard drive. Loaded XP,
downloaded/installed SP2 and all updates. Running F-Secure anti virus, and
the default Microsoft firewall. I am not able to view most sites without
first hitting the refresh button (sometimes 4-5 times to get page to load).
Have tried turning off pop-up blocker (no help), virus search comes up clean,
no spy-ware found either. I've tried turning off the anti virus with no
help. Have another computer with same set up running off of same router that
is having no problems. I've run ipconfig /flushdns with no resolution
either. PLEASE HELP ME! This is my childrens computer, and they are
pestering me to death!

Hi Jack,

See if resetting the Winsock helps. Create a System Restore point first.

Click Start/Run and type CMD. Type this command

NETSH WINSOCK RESET CATALOG

Note that this removes all the third-party Layered Service Providers and any
third-party application that depends on it's LSP will not work after
resetting the Winsock. For example, Google Desktop Search tool adds it's own
LSP.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Jack N Juls" <Jack N Juls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My hard drive crashed, so installed new hard drive. Loaded XP,
> downloaded/installed SP2 and all updates. Running F-Secure anti virus,
> and
> the default Microsoft firewall. I am not able to view most sites without
> first hitting the refresh button (sometimes 4-5 times to get page to
> load).
> Have tried turning off pop-up blocker (no help), virus search comes up
> clean,
> no spy-ware found either. I've tried turning off the anti virus with no
> help. Have another computer with same set up running off of same router
> that
> is having no problems. I've run ipconfig /flushdns with no resolution
> either. PLEASE HELP ME! This is my childrens computer, and they are
> pestering me to death!

Thank you for the idea, but it didn't work. Had to refresh 3 times just to
reach this forum again. Any other suggestions?

Jack

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>
> See if resetting the Winsock helps. Create a System Restore point first.
>
> Click Start/Run and type CMD. Type this command
>
> NETSH WINSOCK RESET CATALOG
>
> Note that this removes all the third-party Layered Service Providers and any
> third-party application that depends on it's LSP will not work after
> resetting the Winsock. For example, Google Desktop Search tool adds it's own
> LSP.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Jack N Juls" <Jack N Juls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My hard drive crashed, so installed new hard drive. Loaded XP,
> > downloaded/installed SP2 and all updates. Running F-Secure anti virus,
> > and
> > the default Microsoft firewall. I am not able to view most sites without
> > first hitting the refresh button (sometimes 4-5 times to get page to
> > load).
> > Have tried turning off pop-up blocker (no help), virus search comes up
> > clean,
> > no spy-ware found either. I've tried turning off the anti virus with no
> > help. Have another computer with same set up running off of same router
> > that
> > is having no problems. I've run ipconfig /flushdns with no resolution
> > either. PLEASE HELP ME! This is my childrens computer, and they are
> > pestering me to death!

Jack,

Do you have an application firewall installed, like Zone Alarm, NIS etc? If
so, try resetting the rules/configuration in the respective application.
Also, if the problem is see as of recent, try a System Restore rollback.

To reinstall IE, execute this command from Start/Run:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

--

> Thank you for the idea, but it didn't work. Had to refresh 3 times just
> reach this forum again. Any other suggestions?
>
> Jack
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Jack,
>>
>> See if resetting the Winsock helps. Create a System Restore point first.
>>
>> Click Start/Run and type CMD. Type this command
>>
>> NETSH WINSOCK RESET CATALOG
>>
>> Note that this removes all the third-party Layered Service Providers and
>> any
>> third-party application that depends on it's LSP will not work after
>> resetting the Winsock. For example, Google Desktop Search tool adds it's
>> own
>> LSP.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Jack N Juls" <Jack N Juls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My hard drive crashed, so installed new hard drive. Loaded XP,
>> > downloaded/installed SP2 and all updates. Running F-Secure anti virus,
>> > and
>> > the default Microsoft firewall. I am not able to view most sites
>> > without
>> > first hitting the refresh button (sometimes 4-5 times to get page to
>> > load).
>> > Have tried turning off pop-up blocker (no help), virus search comes up
>> > clean,
>> > no spy-ware found either. I've tried turning off the anti virus with
>> > no
>> > help. Have another computer with same set up running off of same
>> > router
>> > that
>> > is having no problems. I've run ipconfig /flushdns with no resolution
>> > either. PLEASE HELP ME! This is my childrens computer, and they are
>> > pestering me to death!

The install is brand new, so there isn't anything to rollback. I only have
the MS firewall installed. I tried to reinstall IE6 from start/run, but it
doesn't seem to work. I am supposed to copy/paste the entire string, correct?

Yes.

--

> The install is brand new, so there isn't anything to rollback. I only
> have
> the MS firewall installed. I tried to reinstall IE6 from start/run, but
> it
> doesn't seem to work. I am supposed to copy/paste the entire string,
> correct?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Jack,
>>
>> Do you have an application firewall installed, like Zone Alarm, NIS etc?
>> If
>> so, try resetting the rules/configuration in the respective application.
>> Also, if the problem is see as of recent, try a System Restore rollback.
>>
>> To reinstall IE, execute this command from Start/Run:
>>
>> rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
>> c:\windows\inf\ie.inf
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Jack n Juls" <JacknJuls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you for the idea, but it didn't work. Had to refresh 3 times
>> > just
>> > reach this forum again. Any other suggestions?
>> >
>> > Jack

"Installation Failed."

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> >> I am supposed to copy/paste the entire string, correct?
>
> Yes.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Jack n Juls" <JacknJuls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The install is brand new, so there isn't anything to rollback. I only
> > have
> > the MS firewall installed. I tried to reinstall IE6 from start/run, but
> > it
> > doesn't seem to work. I am supposed to copy/paste the entire string,
> > correct?
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Jack,
> >>
> >> Do you have an application firewall installed, like Zone Alarm, NIS etc?
> >> If
> >> so, try resetting the rules/configuration in the respective application.
> >> Also, if the problem is see as of recent, try a System Restore rollback.
> >>
> >> To reinstall IE, execute this command from Start/Run:
> >>
> >> rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
> >> c:\windows\inf\ie.inf
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User