No VS 3.0 or PS 3.0 in R420

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Read the article <A HREF="http://www.theregister.com/content/51/36174.html" target="_new"> here</A>

NVidia will be all over ATI for this. I can see them touting VS and PS 3.0 just like they said the 5800 was DX 9.0+

LOL!

Actually OLD OLD news (surprised it took all the big Reviewers so long to find it), and nV did nothing when it came out because it's still just a rumour, even 3 weeks after this article was written.

I reported it back when it was first written, and as usually it simply sailed right on past people.

Thought the Title would have garnered more attention, but I guess not.

Seriously what do [H], theInquirer, and everyone only look at 3Dcentre every month?

Here's my original post;

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=389274#389274" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=389274#389274</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

cleeve

Illustrious
This can't possibly hurt the R420 for at least a year. Even then, I doubt it will make a difference.

I have a feeling that there's a good chance that this will be a non-issue, like 24 bit vs 32 bit shader precision in the current gen Ati's and Nvidias. (where Nvidia advertises their GPU's 32 bit capabilities whilst gibbling them to 16 bit in the drivers to make for performance)

The 32 bit option on GeforceFX's didn't hurt the R3xx series (quite the contrary), and I dont think the lack of PS 3.0 will hurt them either. Both features cost too much overhead and the advantages they offer are basically useless at release... people want video cards that can do the job NOW, since by the time ps3.0 is widespread (over a year, I reckon), no gamer will be using today's cards anyway.

I'm not saying today's cards won't be around in 2 years... hell, people are still playing with Geforce2 GTS class cards... but I don't think anybody who considers themself a gamer is playing with them. Even piss-poor gamers know to go with a DX8 card at least.

However I would like my cards to support PS3.0/VS3.0 for some of the demos out there. But it really appears this article is an anomaly, as it hasn't been supported by so much info that has come out since it's publishing. Only a final release will really reveal all.

As for PS/VS 3.0's impact yeah I think it's minor, but if you were buying a new card for the longer haul (which is really the way I look at my next purchase [baring some revolution in technology over the next yer's release]), then you would want some additional future-preparedness (notice didn't use 'proof') for future games, even if it's a slide show at 1024x768, maybe it'll be ok at 800x600.

So far I haven't seen anything concrete from anyone, and while I respect 3Dcentre (reason why I visit alot), I still consider this pre-release hype, negative or positive.

BTW, nV already announced that the FX series is very close to PS 3.0 support (which is apt as it's actually very close to PS 2.0 support as well :evil: ) and it would almost qualify baring one issue, and most of it's added functionality would come out in DX9.1 (now known as DX9.0C). Really the main thing will be real game performance. Like I said I would love to see the PS/VS 3.0 demos, but not at the price of significantly less performance in actual games.

As always, we'll have to wait and see.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Only place this could hurt ATI, is when dumb suckers go to buy a card at (fill in your own big box, faceless corporation)

Dumb buyer: Which card to buy?

Gutless Salesman: This card is better, it's version 3.0!

Dumb buyer: That must be better than 2.0.