Won't return from Standby - I give up, need help...

Rich

When I select 'Standby' from the Start, Turn off Computer, the screen
goes black within a coupleof seconds, the power light on the computer
box stays on, and it 'looks like' it is in a standby mode.

Now when I try to wake-up, nothing happens. No screen activity, no HD
activity, nothing. There is no response to any keyboard key or any
mouse button. If I press the power button there is no response.

If I press and HOLD the power button for 4 seconds, the computer
powers off. If I then press thepower button again from power-off, the
system boots up normally.

This is not a new problem. In fact I have never achieved standby mode
and recovery back to active.

I am running XP SP2 with all updates. The MB is a MSI 865PE Neo2, the
video card is a 64Mb NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 w/AGP8X. I have a PS2
Keyboard & mouse.

I am confused. I have some BIOS settings and Win XP Pro settings. I
do not understand the relationship of the BIOS settings to the Windows
power settings. Can anyone explain this or point me to a location
that does explain the proper settings?

I have made the following settings in the BIOS:
The ACPI Standby state is set to AUTO. I have also tried a setting of
S1/POS with the same non-successful results.
Power management/APM is enabled.
Monitor Events for resumption of operation are: FDC/LPT/COM ports, Pri
Master IDE, Sec Master IDE.
Wake up events are: USB device, resume on PME# is enabled, Keyboard
power-on function is set to 'any key', mouse power-on function is set
to left-button.

I have looked at MS knowledgebase and also at Kelly's Standby issue
listings but I cannot find a solution. Maybe I am just mising it?

Can any expert point me in the direction that I can solve this issue?

TIA, Rich

"Rich" <grstidge@localnet.com> wrote in message
> When I select 'Standby' from the Start, Turn off Computer, the screen
> goes black within a coupleof seconds, the power light on the computer
> box stays on, and it 'looks like' it is in a standby mode.
>
> Now when I try to wake-up, nothing happens. No screen activity, no HD
> activity, nothing. There is no response to any keyboard key or any
> mouse button. If I press the power button there is no response.
>
> If I press and HOLD the power button for 4 seconds, the computer
> powers off. If I then press thepower button again from power-off, the
> system boots up normally.
>
> This is not a new problem. In fact I have never achieved standby mode
> and recovery back to active.
>
> I am running XP SP2 with all updates. The MB is a MSI 865PE Neo2, the
> video card is a 64Mb NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 w/AGP8X. I have a PS2
> Keyboard & mouse.
>
> I am confused. I have some BIOS settings and Win XP Pro settings. I
> do not understand the relationship of the BIOS settings to the Windows
> power settings. Can anyone explain this or point me to a location
> that does explain the proper settings?
>
> I have made the following settings in the BIOS:
> The ACPI Standby state is set to AUTO. I have also tried a setting of
> S1/POS with the same non-successful results.
> Power management/APM is enabled.
> Monitor Events for resumption of operation are: FDC/LPT/COM ports, Pri
> Master IDE, Sec Master IDE.
> Wake up events are: USB device, resume on PME# is enabled, Keyboard
> power-on function is set to 'any key', mouse power-on function is set
> to left-button.
>
> I have looked at MS knowledgebase and also at Kelly's Standby issue
> listings but I cannot find a solution. Maybe I am just mising it?
>
> Can any expert point me in the direction that I can solve this issue?
>
> TIA, Rich

Some systems just don't do standby very well, and troubleshooting it can be
tedious, considering it could be any bit of hardware or software that you
have.

If it's really important, you can start off by disabling and/or manually
turning off the various programs and services you have running, one by one,
and then trying stand by and see if it works.

Or, you could see if hibernate works any better. It takes a little longer to
come out of hibernation, but it's faster than a complete bootup, and it
saves everything you have open at the time.