Add or Remove Programs, phantom programs?

I make copies of the Windows XP partition, for backup. I also have
partitions which hold personal data. Somehow, the Add/Remove programs
list now includes programs which were never installed on a particular
backup copy of Windows XP. The folders and files do not exist in
Program Files, and an error is produced when trying to remove the
programs. I am given the option of just deleting them from the list.

I need to know, where on my disk is Add/Remove programs getting its
list of programs? Could it have to do with System Volume Information
or some other system data?

There seems to be a leak somewhere between the partitions on my disk
:)

TIA
3 answers Last reply
More about remove programs phantom programs

    "Morten" <mdavis@hotmail.NOT.com> wrote in message
    >I make copies of the Windows XP partition, for backup. I also have
    > partitions which hold personal data. Somehow, the Add/Remove programs
    > list now includes programs which were never installed on a particular
    > backup copy of Windows XP. The folders and files do not exist in
    > Program Files, and an error is produced when trying to remove the
    > programs. I am given the option of just deleting them from the list.
    >
    > I need to know, where on my disk is Add/Remove programs getting its
    > list of programs? Could it have to do with System Volume Information
    > or some other system data?
    >
    > There seems to be a leak somewhere between the partitions on my disk
    > :)
    >
    > TIA

    In the Registry under this key

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Window­s\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

    delete the key for the name of the program you wished to be removed from the
    Add/Remove list

    --
    William

    "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > "Morten" <mdavis@hotmail.NOT.com> wrote in message

    >> ... I am given the option of just deleting them from the list.

    > In the Registry under this key
    >
    > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Window­s\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    >
    > delete the key for the name of the program you wished to be
    > removed from the Add/Remove list

    To be clear. I think just deleting them from the list is easier,
    but that's not the objective.

    > "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> "Morten" <mdavis@hotmail.NOT.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>> ... I am given the option of just deleting them from the list.
    >
    >> In the Registry under this key
    >>
    >> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Window­s\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
    >>
    >> delete the key for the name of the program you wished to be
    >> removed from the Add/Remove list
    >
    > To be clear. I think just deleting them from the list is easier,
    > but that's not the objective.

    Well it gets the information here in the registry.

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Window­s\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

    --
    William

Backup Windows XP