Add or Remove Programs, phantom programs?

April 15, 2005 8:04:36 AM

I make copies of the Windows XP partition, for backup. I also have
partitions which hold personal data. Somehow, the Add/Remove programs
list now includes programs which were never installed on a particular
backup copy of Windows XP. The folders and files do not exist in
Program Files, and an error is produced when trying to remove the
programs. I am given the option of just deleting them from the list.

I need to know, where on my disk is Add/Remove programs getting its
list of programs? Could it have to do with System Volume Information
or some other system data?

There seems to be a leak somewhere between the partitions on my disk
:)

TIA

More about : add remove programs phantom programs

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 8:04:37 AM

"Morten" <mdavis@hotmail.NOT.com> wrote in message
>I make copies of the Windows XP partition, for backup. I also have
> partitions which hold personal data. Somehow, the Add/Remove programs
> list now includes programs which were never installed on a particular
> backup copy of Windows XP. The folders and files do not exist in
> Program Files, and an error is produced when trying to remove the
> programs. I am given the option of just deleting them from the list.
>
> I need to know, where on my disk is Add/Remove programs getting its
> list of programs? Could it have to do with System Volume Information
> or some other system data?
>
> There seems to be a leak somewhere between the partitions on my disk
> :)
>
> TIA

In the Registry under this key

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Window­s\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

delete the key for the name of the program you wished to be removed from the
Add/Remove list

--
William
April 15, 2005 3:54:05 PM

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Morten" <mdavis@hotmail.NOT.com> wrote in message

>> ... I am given the option of just deleting them from the list.

> In the Registry under this key
>
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Window­s\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
>
> delete the key for the name of the program you wished to be
> removed from the Add/Remove list

To be clear. I think just deleting them from the list is easier,
but that's not the objective.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:54:06 PM

> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "Morten" <mdavis@hotmail.NOT.com> wrote in message
>
>>> ... I am given the option of just deleting them from the list.
>
>> In the Registry under this key
>>
>> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Window­s\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
>>
>> delete the key for the name of the program you wished to be
>> removed from the Add/Remove list
>
> To be clear. I think just deleting them from the list is easier,
> but that's not the objective.

Well it gets the information here in the registry.

!