Is a Latitude C640 USB 1.x or USB 2.0 ?

Also, I'm wondering about the USB speeds on the C-Dock-II and C-Port-2
docking stations and port replicators ? I've suspected that the difference
between the "old" C-Dock-II (with the square logo) and the "new" C-Dock-II
(round logo) is the USB speeds, but that's only a wild guess.

And if the C-Dock-II is only USB1.x, can I put a USB-2 card in the PCI slot
and get full speed out of it ? Or is there something inherent in the docking
bus or PCI chipset that would limit the throughput and make it pointless ?

I'm looking for the best (fastest) option for external drives. One option
of course is an external SCSI device via the SCSI port on the C-Dock-II, but
USB has the advantage of hot-pluggability - but only makes sense if I can do
USB 2.0 speeds.

Thanks for any advice.

- FM -

Eugene

Fred Mau wrote:

> Also, I'm wondering about the USB speeds on the C-Dock-II and C-Port-2
> docking stations and port replicators ? I've suspected that the difference
> between the "old" C-Dock-II (with the square logo) and the "new" C-Dock-II
> (round logo) is the USB speeds, but that's only a wild guess.
>
> And if the C-Dock-II is only USB1.x, can I put a USB-2 card in the PCI
> slot and get full speed out of it ? Or is there something inherent in the
> docking bus or PCI chipset that would limit the throughput and make it
> pointless ?
>
> I'm looking for the best (fastest) option for external drives. One option
> of course is an external SCSI device via the SCSI port on the C-Dock-II,
> but USB has the advantage of hot-pluggability - but only makes sense if I
> can do USB 2.0 speeds.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> - FM -
All the C series are USB1.1 as well as the C docks. I called and asked a
while back and just ended up buying a USB 2.0 card for when I want to burn
cd's fast.

"Eugene" <nospam@dot.com> wrote in message
> All the C series are USB1.1 as well as the C docks. I called and asked a
> while back and just ended up buying a USB 2.0 card for when I want to burn
> cd's fast.

So, you're satisfied with the performance of a USB2 card in the C-Dock-II ?

Since they only put USB1.x onboard, and since the SCSI port is non-Ultra, I
was wondering if there was some sort of built-in throughput limitation in
the dock bus that would make it pointless to try to do anything faster ?

- FM -