new computer runs very slow on xp

hi folks
just got myself a brand new computer and i have a dual boot of windows Xp
and windows 98.

the processor is a athlon semprom 3000+
1 Gig of memory installed

using win 98 the computer runs like lighting very very fast, loading pages
programs etc,
and i cant ask for anything better.

On the other hand using windows xp take san eternity to load pages programs
etc. Even connecting to microsft updates take forever on xp.

although using windows update on 98 takes less than a few minutes

The reason im asking is there anything wrong with XP is that, i used it on
my old computer which only had a processor of 550mhz, and i was used to the
system, and i did think the new processor would make a hell of a difference
but is has not.
Just to add, sometimes when xp loads its fast for a couple of minutes then
its back to very slow

any suggestions

thanks tom

silvershadow21 wrote:
> just got myself a brand new computer and i have a dual boot of
> windows Xp and windows 98.
>
> the processor is a athlon semprom 3000+
> 1 Gig of memory installed
>
> using win 98 the computer runs like lighting very very fast, loading
> pages programs etc,
> and i cant ask for anything better.
>

> On the other hand using windows xp take san eternity to load pages
> programs etc. Even connecting to microsft updates take forever on xp.
>
> although using windows update on 98 takes less than a few minutes
>

> The reason im asking is there anything wrong with XP is that, i used
> it on my old computer which only had a processor of 550mhz, and i was
> used to the system, and i did think the new processor would make a
> hell of a difference but is has not.
> Just to add, sometimes when xp loads its fast for a couple of minutes
> then its back to very slow

This is a clean install awith current drivers and patches (XP) I assume?

--
<- Shenan ->

yes
its a total clean install, nothing else.
all updates up to date except service pack 2

"silvershadow21" <twelsh@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> yes
> its a total clean install, nothing else.
> all updates up to date except service pack 2

Were you connected to the internet during the install? If you were and the
install didn't have SP2 slipstreamed, and you don't have a router then you
may have a virus/worm. I would do the usual virus/spyware checks while in
safe mode to be sure you are clean.

Kerry

"silvershadow21" <twelsh@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>yes
>its a total clean install, nothing else.
>all updates up to date except service pack 2

If you do not have service pack 2 installed and you do not have full
firewall protection in place then you have a lot of open
vulernabilities and you may have been infected by a number of nasties
within 30 seconds of connecting to the Internet.

Make certain that your antivirus is fully up to date, with the virus
definitions not more than a week old and do a complete virus scan of
your computer. Then get a "second opinion" from one of the free
online virus scanners such as:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Follow this up with a spyware check and cleanup as per MVP Jim
Eshelman's Quick Fix procedure at http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--