Icons remain after programs deleted

August 21, 2005 8:18:18 PM

Hi

Can anyone help me with this problem? I recently had a 'Memory Mgr Free
Handle' error on my tungsten e, which needed a hard-reset. Now I cannot
remove the icons off the launch screen after I have deleted the
programs. If I click on the icons, I get a Fatal Error.

Is it just me, or do Palmtop computers seem to crash spectacularly
badly. Why isn't the operating system more robust, and maybe even
helpful?

Simon.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 4:42:41 AM

I have deleted the application and done a warm reset, but my pda will
not respond to a soft reset. To use it I have to do a warm reset. If I
now click on the icon, I get a blank, lit screen and none of the
buttons work.

Simon.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 6:32:24 AM

simon.kinsey@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anyone help me with this problem? I recently had a 'Memory Mgr Free
> Handle' error on my tungsten e, which needed a hard-reset. Now I cannot
> remove the icons off the launch screen after I have deleted the
> programs. If I click on the icons, I get a Fatal Error.

That's odd.

One possible answer is that the database that contains the app is
always locked, perhaps if the app itself is locking the database
and not letting go. If that is the case, then the launcher can't
delete it until it's unlocked, so it should help to do a no-notify
reset (a/k/a Warm Reset), because the app will not get a chance
to lock itself after the reset.

Here's a (stupidly long) link to info on how to do that:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Pa...(887)#system

If this works, you should delete the app, then immediately do another
reset -- this time a soft reset -- because it's not good to operate
the system too long after doing a warm reset.

- Logan
August 22, 2005 11:15:06 PM

simon.kinsey@gmail.com wrote:
> I have deleted the application and done a warm reset,

My suggestion was to do a warm reset and then delete the application.

Also, if the launcher can't do it, you might try a third-party file
manager like FileZ.

- Logan
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 7:10:09 AM

Thank you Logan. I found that these steps helped:
1. Warm reset.
2. Delete any applications that were suspect.
3. Hot sync
4. Hard reset
5. Import all my files back from the desktop.

I had to do this a few times before I could identify and remove the
'suspicious package'. The first few times I could not import files back
properly. and my palm just flat-lined. ie. crashed and needed a warm
reset. My palmtop is now working fine.

- Simon.
!