9800 pro tv out and video codecs

jimh

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
When I hook up tv out to a TV it all works fine, except that the movie I'm trying to play doesn't always display. I've tried powerdvd, windows media player, and media player classic. I suspect that the video codecs that allow me to watch on my computer monitor are not being applied through the tv out. Thanks for any ideas.

Win XP Home, 2.53GHz P4, 1G RAM, Radeon 9800 Pro, onboard sound, latest defilerpak video codecs installed, media player codecs package installed from windows update.

AZPirate

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2003
I have a 9600xt and it does the same thing. The Video is playing only on the TV and not the computer, not sure why though. Some Video Formats play on both but some only on TV.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are several possibilities:
1.) You have to set TV-Out as primary display in advanced display settings. ATI only allows video playback on the primary display.
2.) Some players might not be updated enough to know that your TV-Output is Macrovision compliant, this would require you to update your player software.
3.) You have to connect directly to a TV.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jimh

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
Yep, #1 worked. Thanks. I had both the monitor and tv going at the same time, and only the monitor was showing the video. So with monitor unselected the tv showed it all.