Explain XP Boot process?

XP Pro, SP2

Can someone explain the boot process simply? I'm trying to understand the
relationship between the Master Boot Record and the boot.ini file. I've
found online articles that talk about each one separately, but none that
take you all the way from pushing the "on button" all the way through
displaying your complete desktop.

Purely an academic question....

Thanks.
Ken
5 answers Last reply
More about explain boot process

    http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/unknownreference/articles/12284.aspx

    --
    William

    Perfect. Thanks.

    "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> XP Pro, SP2
    >>
    >> Can someone explain the boot process simply? I'm trying to understand
    >> the relationship between the Master Boot Record and the boot.ini file.
    >> I've found online articles that talk about each one separately, but none
    >> that take you all the way from pushing the "on button" all the way
    >> through displaying your complete desktop.
    >>
    >> Purely an academic question....
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> Ken
    >>

    > http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/unknownreference/articles/12284.aspx
    >
    > --
    > William

  3. Hi

    First of all There is no link between MBR and Boot.ini. MBR is the portion of a Hard drive (Not the partition) that starts at sector 0. It contains information about all the partitions and hard drive. It also carries a flag that indicates which partition it has to boot from. Thats all it does. It has no role in boot process except indicating what all the partitions are. From where every partition starts and where it ends. It then tells the computer which partition is active for boot and transfers the control to the boot sector of that partition. Remember that besides MBR on the hard drive there is a boot sector for every primary partition. The Boot sector of the active partition contains the bootstrap code that starts the boot loader. This boot loader reads the boot.ini file for the options to boot and load the windows files from the specified location.

    Hope its clear now

    Regards

    Boonlia Prince Komal
  4. Hi,

    Can anyone explain how complete booting process is done right from the moment we press power buttion.

    Thanks
  5. umesh2063 said:
    Hi,

    Can anyone explain how complete booting process is done right from the moment we press power buttion.

    Thanks

Boot Microsoft Windows XP