Explain XP Boot process?

April 15, 2005 11:40:52 AM

XP Pro, SP2

Can someone explain the boot process simply? I'm trying to understand the
relationship between the Master Boot Record and the boot.ini file. I've
found online articles that talk about each one separately, but none that
take you all the way from pushing the "on button" all the way through
displaying your complete desktop.

Purely an academic question....

Thanks.
Ken

More about : explain boot process

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 11:40:53 AM

http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/unknownreference/articl...

--
William
April 15, 2005 12:15:13 PM

Perfect. Thanks.

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Ken" <allstates[no_spam]air@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> XP Pro, SP2
>>
>> Can someone explain the boot process simply? I'm trying to understand
>> the relationship between the Master Boot Record and the boot.ini file.
>> I've found online articles that talk about each one separately, but none
>> that take you all the way from pushing the "on button" all the way
>> through displaying your complete desktop.
>>
>> Purely an academic question....
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Ken
>>

> http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/unknownreference/articl...
>
> --
> William

Related resources
November 21, 2010 4:55:25 PM

Hi

First of all There is no link between MBR and Boot.ini. MBR is the portion of a Hard drive (Not the partition) that starts at sector 0. It contains information about all the partitions and hard drive. It also carries a flag that indicates which partition it has to boot from. Thats all it does. It has no role in boot process except indicating what all the partitions are. From where every partition starts and where it ends. It then tells the computer which partition is active for boot and transfers the control to the boot sector of that partition. Remember that besides MBR on the hard drive there is a boot sector for every primary partition. The Boot sector of the active partition contains the bootstrap code that starts the boot loader. This boot loader reads the boot.ini file for the options to boot and load the windows files from the specified location.

Hope its clear now

Regards

Boonlia Prince Komal
June 3, 2012 7:14:22 PM

Hi,

Can anyone explain how complete booting process is done right from the moment we press power buttion.

Thanks
!