Black Widow CPO differences?

Hi all.

I recently picked up a bare Black Widow control panel (well, no sticks, and
no buttons, but the wiring was intact). Anyhow, the overlay at the time of
purchase had several globs of what looked like paint on it so I figured I'd
grab a replacement overlay and restore the CP all of the way before
installing it. The repro overlay arrived yesterday and looks stunning.

The only problem that I have is that my control panel overlay varies a bit
from the repro.

1. The instruction box on the right side on my control panel is blue. The
same instruction box on the repro is green.

2. The web grid "rings" on my overlay are also different from the repro. It
has the following ring colors (from outer edge inward):

blue, pink, orange, blue, blue, pink, yellow, blue, blue, pink orange.

the repro has:

purple, pink, orange, blue, purple, pink, yellow, green, purple, pink,
orange

Any ideas on why the color differences? I pulled out pics of the Black
Widow I owned back in '96 and it had the normal green in the overlay the
same as the repro and the ring coloring is the same as the repro.. I am
stumped. It does not appear to be caused by fading either.

Here are some pics. Notice that the paint globs are gone from the used
control panel, I was able to get the paint off by using a small brass wire
brush. :)

http://set-in-led.0catch.com/misc/bw-cp-front.jpg
http://set-in-led.0catch.com/misc/bw-cp-rear.jpg
http://set-in-led.0catch.com/misc/bw-tag.jpg
http://set-in-led.0catch.com/misc/bw-overlay.jpg

Input would be appreciated.

--
-Steve P.

Prok

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003

Hi.. I was the one who did the redraw of the black widow CPO's that Jason
printed (I used some of the components from Roy K's redraw as well, so I
guess in all fairness it's a combined effort). I redrew it from a scan of
an NOS overlay.. Here's my old page that I had while I was making them:

http://www.tutankham.com/bwidow.htm

Over time though I've come to find out that there was a very very short run
of art done that was incomplete yet made it out to the field. Joe Bachmann
has an overlay identical to yours and he has the marquee that also shows
differences.

http://www.joesarcade.com/games/Black%20Widow%20Marquees/black_widow_marquee.htm

Hope that clarifies it :)

/b

http://www.tutankham.com

"Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi all.
>
> I recently picked up a bare Black Widow control panel (well, no sticks,
> and no buttons, but the wiring was intact). Anyhow, the overlay at the
> time of purchase had several globs of what looked like paint on it so I
> figured I'd grab a replacement overlay and restore the CP all of the way
> before installing it. The repro overlay arrived yesterday and looks
> stunning.
>
> The only problem that I have is that my control panel overlay varies a bit
> from the repro.
>
> 1. The instruction box on the right side on my control panel is blue. The
> same instruction box on the repro is green.
>
> 2. The web grid "rings" on my overlay are also different from the repro.
> It has the following ring colors (from outer edge inward):
>
> blue, pink, orange, blue, blue, pink, yellow, blue, blue, pink orange.
>
> the repro has:
>
> purple, pink, orange, blue, purple, pink, yellow, green, purple, pink,
> orange
>

> Any ideas on why the color differences? I pulled out pics of the Black
> Widow I owned back in '96 and it had the normal green in the overlay the
> same as the repro and the ring coloring is the same as the repro.. I am
> stumped. It does not appear to be caused by fading either.
>
> Here are some pics. Notice that the paint globs are gone from the used
> control panel, I was able to get the paint off by using a small brass wire
> brush. :)
>
> http://set-in-led.0catch.com/misc/bw-cp-front.jpg
> http://set-in-led.0catch.com/misc/bw-cp-rear.jpg
> http://set-in-led.0catch.com/misc/bw-tag.jpg
> http://set-in-led.0catch.com/misc/bw-overlay.jpg
>
> Input would be appreciated.
>
> --
> -Steve P.

Brian-

Joe's overlay is different than mine - notice the color of the "web" rings
on the overlay.. and then compare it to the one I have.

I pulled out pics of the Black Widow I owned back in '96 (pre repro overlay
days) and it matches the repro artwork that you did. I am not at all
complaining about the repro but rather intrigued by the differences in my
existing overlay.

Thx.

--
-Steve P.

"prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi.. I was the one who did the redraw of the black widow CPO's that
> Jason printed (I used some of the components from Roy K's redraw as well,
> so I guess in all fairness it's a combined effort). I redrew it from a
> scan of an NOS overlay.. Here's my old page that I had while I was making
> them:
>
> http://www.tutankham.com/bwidow.htm
>
> Over time though I've come to find out that there was a very very short
> run of art done that was incomplete yet made it out to the field. Joe
> Bachmann has an overlay identical to yours and he has the marquee that
> also shows differences.
>
> http://www.joesarcade.com/games/Black%20Widow%20Marquees/black_widow_marquee.htm
>
> Hope that clarifies it :)
>
> /b
>
> http://www.tutankham.com
>

> "Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I recently picked up a bare Black Widow control panel (well, no sticks,
>> and no buttons, but the wiring was intact). Anyhow, the overlay at the
>> time of purchase had several globs of what looked like paint on it so I
>> figured I'd grab a replacement overlay and restore the CP all of the way
>> before installing it. The repro overlay arrived yesterday and looks
>> stunning.
>>
>> The only problem that I have is that my control panel overlay varies a
>> bit from the repro.
>>
>> 1. The instruction box on the right side on my control panel is blue.
>> The same instruction box on the repro is green.
>>
>> 2. The web grid "rings" on my overlay are also different from the repro.
>> It has the following ring colors (from outer edge inward):
>>
>> blue, pink, orange, blue, blue, pink, yellow, blue, blue, pink orange.
>>
>> the repro has:
>>
>> purple, pink, orange, blue, purple, pink, yellow, green, purple, pink,
>> orange
>>

>> Any ideas on why the color differences? I pulled out pics of the Black
>> Widow I owned back in '96 and it had the normal green in the overlay the
>> same as the repro and the ring coloring is the same as the repro.. I am
>> stumped. It does not appear to be caused by fading either.
>>
>> Here are some pics. Notice that the paint globs are gone from the used
>> control panel, I was able to get the paint off by using a small brass
>> wire brush. :)
>>
>> http://set-in-led.0catch.com/misc/bw-cp-front.jpg
>> http://set-in-led.0catch.com/misc/bw-cp-rear.jpg
>> http://set-in-led.0catch.com/misc/bw-tag.jpg
>> http://set-in-led.0catch.com/misc/bw-overlay.jpg
>>
>> Input would be appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> -Steve P.

Hi All,

I've had both on my 2 BWs. If you look on my project BW page,
http://cademo.com/arcade/blackwidow2.htm, you can see the less colorfull
variant with the blue box as Steve describes below. When I drew the art to
reproduce these, I chose the more colorful variant with the green box as my
model.

My assumption is either that Atari decided to save money by reducing the
number of screened colors by two or it was a printing mistake that they
decided to use anyway.

-roy-

> [...]
>>> The same instruction box on the repro is green.
>>>
>>> 2. The web grid "rings" on my overlay are also different from the repro.
>>> It has the following ring colors (from outer edge inward):
>>>
>>> blue, pink, orange, blue, blue, pink, yellow, blue, blue, pink orange.
>>>
>>> the repro has:
>>>
>>> purple, pink, orange, blue, purple, pink, yellow, green, purple, pink,
>>> orange
>>>

>>> Any ideas on why the color differences? I pulled out pics of the Black
>>> Widow I owned back in '96 and it had the normal green in the overlay the
>>> same as the repro and the ring coloring is the same as the repro.. I am
>>> stumped. It does not appear to be caused by fading either.
>>>
>>> Here are some pics. Notice that the paint globs are gone from the used
>>> control panel, I was able to get the paint off by using a small brass

I've got an nos black widow overlay if someone is interested. thanks, Mike