Adjusting 2-way leaf joystick & leaf buttons

I'm having a tough time getting the new 2-way leaf-switch joystick and
leaf-switch buttons on my Joust cocktail to work properly. Seems like
I go in there and fiddle with them and they work, but shortly after I
can't move right, or the player 1 flap stops working. Here's a picture
of the sticks I have:
http://arcadeshop.com/pics/williams-joystick.jpg

I've searched the archives but can't find any definitive guide on how
to adjust leaf switches. Any help here? How much gap should there be
between the contacts? Should I just bend the metal to adjust? Is
there some special tool?

Also, is there any way to make the sticks tighter? I seems that the
only spring centering is coming from the flimsy metal leafs, but that's
making for very weak centering.

Cheers,
Brad in San Diego

Generally most people seem to do this without a tool, but I have heard
of a tool for doing it.

I keep them about a quarter of an inch apart or so. Maybe less. Just
enough that it won't touch by accident someone.

Leaf-switches need to be cleaned every so often, and i'll share a
trick a friend showed me who is a top notch repair professional.

Use a white business card, and press the 2 leaf switches together by
pushing a button or moving the joystick. Move the card back & fourth
to clean it.

Sometime I find it easier to remove the leaf-switch entirely so it can
be bent to the correct position, using plyers.

Hope that helps. I'm not expert, but was once in the same position as
you.

Remember, microswitch controls don't feel the same for classic games
so don't even think of going that route.

Nate

On 18 Mar 2005 12:43:11 -0800, "Brad Willoughby"
<brad_no_spam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I'm having a tough time getting the new 2-way leaf-switch joystick and
>leaf-switch buttons on my Joust cocktail to work properly. Seems like
>I go in there and fiddle with them and they work, but shortly after I
>can't move right, or the player 1 flap stops working. Here's a picture
>of the sticks I have:
>http://arcadeshop.com/pics/williams-joystick.jpg
>
>I've searched the archives but can't find any definitive guide on how
>to adjust leaf switches. Any help here? How much gap should there be
>between the contacts? Should I just bend the metal to adjust? Is
>there some special tool?
>
>Also, is there any way to make the sticks tighter? I seems that the
>only spring centering is coming from the flimsy metal leafs, but that's
>making for very weak centering.
>
>Cheers,
>Brad in San Diego

Thanks, Nate. I spent a good hour fussing with the leaf switches
yesterday and think I got them working well. I was amazed by how much
black stuff rubbed off the contacts of the brand new leaf switches. I
guess they had been sitting around awhile.

Anyway, I cleaned them per your suggestion and then just kept trying
different positions to get them to work best. I found that a smaller
gap was better and getting them to contact earlier in the travel of the
button was better than later. In other words, the contacts should
touch as soon as possible after the button starts to move ... not at
the bottom of the button travel. This allows the contacts as much time
as possible to make a solid connection. Also, as the button continues
to travel down, the contacts slide across each other a bit which
increases the chance that a good contact will be made.

Consequently, I got my highest score yet on my Joust cocktail. Amazing
what a fully functioning flap button will do. :)

Thanks again!
Brad