AIW 9000 Pro or AIW 9200? Help GrapeApe or others!

lingula6

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2004
Hey all, long time reader, first time poster - yeah, i'm a noob. Well, like my sig says at the bottom, i'm not really into gaming very much (may get into it a _little_ in the future), and want to get a good graphics card for good image quality, movie playback, and maybe video editing in the future. Also, i don't really want to spend that much (wanted to go less than $100, but with these options would go to $150). So I figured i'd go with ATI Radeon for the image quality (over let's say a ti4200 for gaming), and that AIW might have some nice features for the future.

So i've narrowed it down to the 9000 Pro and the 9200 AIW cards. Not sure how much different they are except that the 9000 Pro has 64MB RAM and comes with the Remote Wonder, vs 128 RAM on the 9200 and no Remote Wonder. They are selling for about the same price (~150).

Bottom Line Question: Is there any advantage to getting one over the other? Either a newer 9200 AIW over the 9000 Pro (meaning i'd have to buy the remote separately, although i believe there is an inbox coupon for 50% off, making it $25) or are there advantages to having a Pro card (even though it has the RV250 chipset) over a slightly newer generation 9200 card (with the RV280 chipset - not that i really even know what this even means!)?

Also, any idea where i can find the elusive 9200 AIW? Not too many sellers show up online.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. This site is great!

Dell 400SC, P4 2.4 HT, 1Gig ECC RAM
I'm no gamer

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Both 9000 and 9200 are basically the same. They are going to run all games equally, and they are not able to run the same games (for low FPS or non DX9 compatible).

So I will go for the 9000 as this include the remote.

Ups, if I am not wrong, a new remote, currently only packaged with 9600, seems to be more confortable, much better than the standard. That would be a good reason for going for 9200 and look for this new remote.

Don't remeber where I see a review, will look for it and give you a link.

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

cleeve

Illustrious
A 9000 PRO will best a 9200 in gaming, but by very little. They are both basically the same graphics chip.

The 9200 AIW has a ***TON*** of features that the 9000 PRO doesn't however... like a built in TV tuner, video capture, video editing software, you name it.

Go for the 9200 AIW, especially since you plan to dabble in video editing.

lingula6

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2004
I don't mean to doubt you Cleeve, but from ATI's website, it looks like the 9000 Pro comes with most/all that the 9200 comes with (although ATI's details about the 9200 are scarce). Do you know of any specifics?

The ATI website shows this info about the 9000 Pro:
- Stereo TV tuner with 125 channels
- TV-ON-DEMAND: Pause live TV or record live broadcasts and get instant replays.
- Integrated Gemstar GUIDE Plus+ Interactive Program Guide to view and search TV listings. Schedule and record programs at the click of a mouse
- Easily edit video into your own creations: VideoCD and DVD Authoring.
- Capture still images and analog video in MPEG-2 format at a resolution up to 720x480 and 30 frames-per-second.
- Powerful video editing software allows you to add effects, transitions, sounds, and more to video footage.

I think you are confusing people with your question.

You speak of the R9000Pro and the R9200AIW, yet by what you are saying and the way you initially describe it with it including the remote and all. I believe you mean the R9000Pro AIW and the R9200 AIW.

If you see someone selling a regular R9000Pro, then it does not come with the features you listed. If they say it has the features you listed, then they are talking about the R9000PRO AIW.

Between the two take the R9000PRO AIW, as it has a faster core and memory than an R9200(non-pro) AIW. And the remote is a good bonus (if you like the new remote better you can problably buy it later when they are plentiful).

The R9000PRO AIW has a faster core 275 and faster memory 270(540) vs the R9200AIW's 250/200(400) according to ATI's comparison chart;

<A HREF="http://apps.ati.com/ATIcompare/" target="_new">http://apps.ati.com/ATIcompare/</A>

(Put the R9000PRO, the R9000PRO AIW and the R9200AIW in and see what I'm looking at now).

The R9000PRO AIW even bests the R9000PRO in specs according to the comparison info.

My understanding is that there is VERY LITTLE difference
between the RV250 and RV280 cores. Amounting to 8X AGP support for cards that would never overwhelm the 4XAGP bus.
There does appear to be DIVX fullstream support from the R9200 series (but if it matter THAT much you can likely flash it). Also it appears that the R9000PROAIW comes with the single DVI connector (which will support DVI and VGA) whereas the R9200AIW only comes with a VGA connector. VGA only is a lesser option IMO.

I would recommmend the R9000PRO AIW if indeed that is the card you have to choose from, as it will be significantly faster than the R9200AIW, and if it comes with a free remote, all the better still.

HEXUS has a review of the R9000PRO AIW (theirs has 275 core and (270)<b>550</b>mhz memory);

<A HREF="http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD01MDUmdXJsX2hpc3Rvcnk9LTI=" target="_new">http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD01MDUmdXJsX2hpc3Rvcnk9LTI=</A>

TweakNews review the R9200AIW confirming the SPECs listed above;

<A HREF="http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/aiw9200/" target="_new">http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/aiw9200/</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

lingula6

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2004
Thanks GreatGrapeApe - as my original subject line indicated, i am indeed comparing apples with apples, that is, the 9000 Pro AIW with the 9200 AIW. I guess i neglected to add the AIW designation a couple of times in the interest of sparing you and others. Regardless, your advice is golden as usual.

I will keep the 9000 Pro AIW as it seems a better value at $115 than a 9200 AIW at $130-150 plus a remote for $25-50. At $150 and additional $$ for a remote, it probably makes little sense to get the 9200 AIW since $200 will buy you a 9600 AIW with the new Remote Wonder II (starting at the end of this month). Anyway, thanks for your help, this is a great site!

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
the 8500/9000 series are all more than likely the same chip.. just some with dead/disabled TMU's and vertex shaders prolly altho i dont know that for a fact of course :p

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

Yeah, but and R9000 is so much better than an R8500, I mean it must be since it has a higher number. :wink:
Next thing people will ask is how to unlock their R9000 and make it and R8500/9100. :lol:

The thing I'm waiting for is to see what the RV370 has to offer the low end market. That will be the first big change for that segment. Could be trickle down technology like the 8500->9100 and indirectly 9000 and thus 9200.

What should be interesting too is that the RV370 is aimed at the FX5200 and FX5500 market segment, so it will need at least comparable features. Also it's slated to be the first 0.11 part, so that should be nice too.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Yeah I thought that's what you meant, the title is usually something we don't try and judge the post by as often it isn't related to the real question. Glad we could clear things up.
As for the Card, yeah the AIWR9000PRO makes much more sense IMO. The AIWR9600 would be an even better card, but really it depends on your price points. For the price of the AIWR9200, you'd be better off with an AIWR9600, but the price for the AIWR9000PRO is low enough, that unless you really change your view of gaming you will be well served by that card. Of course the AIWR9600 offers some nice exclusive features like you point out (remember it also has the FM tuner, plus mediocre DX9 features (still better than the FX5200/5600 series [and sometimes the FX5900 :evil: ]), but it should outperform most of the time in DX8 games as well. However if gaming is not a big concern, save your money for the future HDTV enabled AIW cards that will just FLY in comparison when matched with a PCI-EX slot for MEDIA content transfer.
The AIWR9000PRO makes the most sense to me, for you , at this time.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
you're a forum V something now? YOU @!@#$%$&$*(%^(

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D

That's right, you're and Ornery Poser and I'm the Foreign Veterinarian. Be Careful or I'll have you neutered! :tongue:

The funny thing is I'd likely have alot more posts if I spent more time in the 'Other' section or did double posts instead of answering 2 or 3 people in one post like I do in threads. I like to think I'm about quality more than just quantity, although I do often contribute alot of quantity to this forum too. :cool:

But seriously, once you're beyond thimble sucker on the list then you've spent enough time here as to not be a transient and anything above that is gravy. I'd just like to get my name in purple. And maybe get my own title, like forum primate, but really it makes little difference. I'd prefer an avitar over a title.

Too bad my edits of the catalyst thread don't count towards the totals though, otherwise I'd already be close to Eden's title! :wink:

cleeve

Illustrious
Christ, if edits counted I'd have all you sods beat by a zillion... ;)

Congrats ape!

Yeah it happened like a week ago, don't like to draw attention to it really.

But thanks! :cool:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
i want THGC's favourite nvidiot....
* cries in the corner...

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D