Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Reformat XP Pro with No XP CD

Tags:
  • CD-Rom
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:14:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi
Reformat XP Pro with No XP CD
My friend is having major problems on signing on to AOL and there
assistance is beyond belief so I cleaned him up re spyware Virus''s etc
and still tthe sign in page freezes so I have decided to Reformat his C:
drive but he bouhjt the PC with XP Pro already on it and NO CD,so can I
use my XP CD to boot into reformat or as it got to be his version also
when I reformat he will have no version of XP to reinstall so can I put
my Old registered version of Win XP Home onto his PC pleaase
awaiting your valuable response.

PS its my first time on PC Banter and it looks the Biz :-)
keep up the good work.

cheers
LLOyd


--
lmortiss

More about : reformat pro

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:30:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

If you boot to the CD, you can format with any OS, even if you had to
use FDISK first then format. If you use XP to format, it wouldn't
matter if it was Home, Pro, or Corp. As far as your old version goes,
it wouldn't be legal if you purchased an upgrade copy of XP off of
that old version. (I don't understand why you would have an "old"
version of XP, though, unless you went from Home to Pro?)
Theoretically, the old version is now an integral part of the upgrade,
i.e. the upgrade is no good without the old version.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:14:46 +0000, lmortiss
<lmortiss.1njj1o@pcbanter.net> wrote:

>
>Hi
>Reformat XP Pro with No XP CD
>My friend is having major problems on signing on to AOL and there
>assistance is beyond belief so I cleaned him up re spyware Virus''s etc
>and still tthe sign in page freezes so I have decided to Reformat his C:
>drive but he bouhjt the PC with XP Pro already on it and NO CD,so can I
>use my XP CD to boot into reformat or as it got to be his version also
>when I reformat he will have no version of XP to reinstall so can I put
>my Old registered version of Win XP Home onto his PC pleaase
>awaiting your valuable response.
>
>PS its my first time on PC Banter and it looks the Biz :-)
>keep up the good work.
>
>cheers
>LLOyd
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 12:21:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Yes the answer would be stick a new hard drive in setup windows properly add
one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=71...
and carry on with your life.



Ste

"Tony M." <adotm@coxdot.net> wrote in message
news:ip1061hbuchlkb9csl283orf890fkfbgne@4ax.com...
> If you boot to the CD, you can format with any OS, even if you had to
> use FDISK first then format. If you use XP to format, it wouldn't
> matter if it was Home, Pro, or Corp. As far as your old version goes,
> it wouldn't be legal if you purchased an upgrade copy of XP off of
> that old version. (I don't understand why you would have an "old"
> version of XP, though, unless you went from Home to Pro?)
> Theoretically, the old version is now an integral part of the upgrade,
> i.e. the upgrade is no good without the old version.
>
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:14:46 +0000, lmortiss
> <lmortiss.1njj1o@pcbanter.net> wrote:
>
>>
>>Hi
>>Reformat XP Pro with No XP CD
>>My friend is having major problems on signing on to AOL and there
>>assistance is beyond belief so I cleaned him up re spyware Virus''s etc
>>and still tthe sign in page freezes so I have decided to Reformat his C:
>>drive but he bouhjt the PC with XP Pro already on it and NO CD,so can I
>>use my XP CD to boot into reformat or as it got to be his version also
>>when I reformat he will have no version of XP to reinstall so can I put
>>my Old registered version of Win XP Home onto his PC pleaase
>>awaiting your valuable response.
>>
>>PS its my first time on PC Banter and it looks the Biz :-)
>>keep up the good work.
>>
>>cheers
>>LLOyd
>



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 4:07:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"GOOD NEWS" <nospam@spamfree.com> wrote in message
news:42601492$1_1@127.0.0.1...
> Yes the answer would be stick a new hard drive in setup windows properly
add
> one of these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=71...
> and carry on with your life.
>
>

Boy, what a mess that would make! You would never be able to delete
anything! That includes all of your temporary files, cookies, etc. Your HD
would be full in no time! How would you install software? Just reboot, and
everything would be gone... Brilliant! Install everything over again every
time you reboot... Made changes to an important document, or just create
one for that matter?... Reboot... GONE!

Stupidest thing I've ever seen in my life...
!