Should I buy a Chromebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

model2220

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Hi,

I am in the UK and going to university in September and would like to buy a new laptop - I'm not taking my monster gaming machine with me and would like something portable.

All I want is something really simple that I can write documents and surf the web at under £350.

Is it worth me getting a Chromebook or should I just find a used laptop? The speed and battery life appeals to me, as does the simplicity of the whole thing. As a student I need to keep costs down!

Just after a bit of guidance before I buy, anyone here using one in the way I'm describing?

Any help would be appreciated!

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
If your university has good, full coverage wifi a chromebook would be great. The place where they suck is anytime you leave a wifi environment because of the requirement that they are always online.

but seriously -- you want to take your monster gaming machine with you. I spent like half of college playing video games with dorm mates ...

If your Uni is using Google Docs you're 'in like Flint'
But if they're standardized on MS Office (classroom handouts downloaded in Powerpoint for example) I'd bypass on Chrome devices.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008

I work on PCs for over 40 hours a week for the last 6 years, in my experience, HP computers, especially since 2007 or so, have had the most problems.

model2220

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks for quick replies, I'll check out the HP!

I'd love to take the gaming monster with me, need something portable that doesn't sound like a jet plane unfortunately.

I'd have WIFI access most of the time, but I'd still be able to write Office documents offline right? If not can't it be added with an update?

The whole thing confuses me - surely some of the functionality is there when offline?

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Nope - thats the point of a Chromebook. It only works with online google apps. Basically a paperweight when not online.

Chrome OS is a variant of Linux but it's more closely tied to cloud computing resources.
Have you looked over the list of Chromium applications?

Going with Linux might end up being a better option for you. It runs on same platform hardware as Chrome, can work with Google Docs, and has plenty of standalone, offline apps.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished

Also check you university website. At least both of mine had special offers for students only. A lot of times these will have prices that you can't otherwise get in stores. Also to elaborate, I would never buy a chromebook. The idea is great, I just don't think it works in practice yet. Also if this is your only and primary computer, I would definitively get something that can fulfill multiple roles (not a chromebook). Have a HDMI or other TV output so you can watch DVDs or online streaming on a tv, have it portable (not a 17inch behemoth). These are my recommendations but choose what ever fits you.

Also speaking of office. Microsoft offers the full suit (NOT the bastard editions sold in stores marked as student and home) online heavily discounted. The full suit is 47 pounds online http://students.pugh.co.uk/index.php?nID=productDetail&manu=50&prodID=1468 , you might get it even cheaper at your university if they have MSDNAA subscription (again ask your school!).

Status
Not open for further replies.