With all the rumors about the new cards, who knows exactly when we will see them. You may be waiting a long time. I guess it will depend on just how much better these new cards are, but I think it will be quite a while before we see $200 R9800XT's. How much is the small gain in performance really worth to you? Sure if we were to soon see a $300 retail 9800XT with HL2, that would be arguably a great deal. But a $200 Radeon 9800 Pro now is a great deal. No need to argue it. Last thought, if the new cards stomp the R9800XT, prices will drop, but will you still want the 9800XT?
Oops, I just noticed you have a 9600 Pro now. Hmmm, unless you have a spare box to put that in or are confident you can sell it for a good price, maybe waiting to see the new cards is better. That said I went from 9500 pro to 9800 Pro, but I then used the R9500 Pro in place of R8500le in a spare system. So it was kinda like two upgrades for the price of one. Also I like to play at 1280x1024 and the R9500 Pro barely was good enough to mess with AA/AF without dropping to 1024x768.
- You own a good card, DX9 compatible
- Probably right now you can run any game at very respectable settings.
- No one knows when new cards will appear
- No one knows how much new cards will cost
- No one knows the performance of new cards
- And new games (HL2 D3) aren't out and don't have real benches will all the cards.
So, why upgrade? Time is on your side, wait until at least some of the questions are answered.
Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:
But I don't think I wanna spend more than say $250ish for a vid card. I was hoping many would predict a price drop this year that would bring the 9800XT in that range. But given the XT's are going for about $450 now, it's prolly hoping for too much.
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts