After Changing IP Settings, Base Station is not accessible

I accidentally changed my Wireless Base Station (MSFT) 's IP Address to
something arbitrary, and now I cannot access it anymore, and my connection is
completely screwed. If I try to access the Base Station Management Utility,
and go to Management Tool, that option is now grayed out. The computer can
still see the wireless network, but everytime I try to connect, I get an
"incorrect" security key, although it is the same one I have been using for
one year. I tried to reset AND restore the base station numerous times, and I
still don't know how to access the thing. Can anyone help me fix this
problem??? I tried contacting MSFT e-mail support, but they don't have it for
the MN-500 model. Thanks. (By the way, I am running SP2).

If you're holding a pen tip or unfolded paperclip in the Reset hole on the
back of the base station, make sure you're holding it for at least five
seconds. This will be confirmed by alternating orange and green lights on
the router itself. Once that is done, you should be able to directly access
the base station by opening your browser and going to 192.168.2.1 in the
address line. That is the default address, while "admin" without the
quotes, is the default password after you've reset it properly.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"UPM" <UPM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I accidentally changed my Wireless Base Station (MSFT) 's IP Address to
> something arbitrary, and now I cannot access it anymore, and my connection
> is
> completely screwed. If I try to access the Base Station Management
> Utility,
> and go to Management Tool, that option is now grayed out. The computer can
> still see the wireless network, but everytime I try to connect, I get an
> "incorrect" security key, although it is the same one I have been using
> for
> one year. I tried to reset AND restore the base station numerous times,
> and I
> still don't know how to access the thing. Can anyone help me fix this
> problem??? I tried contacting MSFT e-mail support, but they don't have it
> for
> the MN-500 model. Thanks. (By the way, I am running SP2).

Chris, thanks for the reply. I did what you said and held a pen tip to the
back of the reset hole, and after I saw alternating orange and green lights
for a few seconds, I let go, therefore restoring the base station to factory
defaults. My computer that should be connecting to the base station, can see
a network called 'MSHOME' with no security (I assume this is the default
network), and can connect. However, I receive no internet connection, and
when I try to access 192.168.2.1, I keep getting "Cannot Find Server" errors.
Any thoughts?

"Chris H." wrote:

> If you're holding a pen tip or unfolded paperclip in the Reset hole on the
> back of the base station, make sure you're holding it for at least five
> seconds. This will be confirmed by alternating orange and green lights on
> the router itself. Once that is done, you should be able to directly access
> the base station by opening your browser and going to 192.168.2.1 in the
> address line. That is the default address, while "admin" without the
> quotes, is the default password after you've reset it properly.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "UPM" <UPM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I accidentally changed my Wireless Base Station (MSFT) 's IP Address to
> > something arbitrary, and now I cannot access it anymore, and my connection
> > is
> > completely screwed. If I try to access the Base Station Management
> > Utility,
> > and go to Management Tool, that option is now grayed out. The computer can
> > still see the wireless network, but everytime I try to connect, I get an
> > "incorrect" security key, although it is the same one I have been using
> > for
> > one year. I tried to reset AND restore the base station numerous times,
> > and I
> > still don't know how to access the thing. Can anyone help me fix this
> > problem??? I tried contacting MSFT e-mail support, but they don't have it
> > for
> > the MN-500 model. Thanks. (By the way, I am running SP2).

Okay, good first steps. Now you need to go into the base station, change
the default name from "MSHOME" to something unique for your LAN - like
UPMLan - and then program the base station for the items your ISP has given
you. These would include whether or not you have a fixed (static) or
rotating IP address (as assigned by your Internet Service Provider) and
whether they've told you to put in two DNS numbers. They would have the
information for you.

After you do that, telling the base station how to connect (and perhaps
there's a password for your account involved, along with a Username), then
you need to set up each computer to talk to the base station. It becomes
the main connection to your ISP, and will automatically do the connecting
for you, no matter the machine you're on. Make each system part of the LAN
name you've chosen, and you need to furnish (for wireless only) the
appropriate password you have assigned on the LAN - not the ISP password, if
required.

You can easily change the LAN name designation by right-click My Computer,
select Properties, then go to the Computer Name tab, and look at the
Workgroup: listing. If it doesn't match the name you've assigned, use the
Change button to access the next screen where you'll see Workgroup toward
the bottom. Put a dot in the radial, the put in the proper Workgroup name.

OK your way out, restart your system, and then go into Network Connections.
You may or may not have an icon present representing the LAN. If you don't,
use the Create a new connection in the left pane. If you do, right-click
the icon, select Properties and then on the General tab, highlight the
TCP/IP listing and use the Properties button.

You should have a dot in the radial, "Obtain an IP address automatically"
and below that, "Obtain DNS server address automatically. These two items
are referring to your base station setup, not the ISP settings (which is
handled automatically now, thanks to your programming).

That should get you going for a connection to the Internet, which the base
station now signing in for you with the ISP, and serving as the middle man
for the connection each time you're accessing the Internet.

If you have any wireless machines on your system, take a look in the User's
Guide, because you'll also need to feed the encryption code into the
settings on each wireless machine.
--

> Chris, thanks for the reply. I did what you said and held a pen tip to the
> back of the reset hole, and after I saw alternating orange and green
> lights
> for a few seconds, I let go, therefore restoring the base station to
> factory
> defaults. My computer that should be connecting to the base station, can
> see
> a network called 'MSHOME' with no security (I assume this is the default
> network), and can connect. However, I receive no internet connection, and
> when I try to access 192.168.2.1, I keep getting "Cannot Find Server"
> errors.
> Any thoughts?
>
> "Chris H." wrote:
>
>> If you're holding a pen tip or unfolded paperclip in the Reset hole on
>> the
>> back of the base station, make sure you're holding it for at least five
>> seconds. This will be confirmed by alternating orange and green lights
>> on
>> the router itself. Once that is done, you should be able to directly
>> access
>> the base station by opening your browser and going to 192.168.2.1 in the
>> address line. That is the default address, while "admin" without the
>> quotes, is the default password after you've reset it properly.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "UPM" <UPM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I accidentally changed my Wireless Base Station (MSFT) 's IP Address to
>> > something arbitrary, and now I cannot access it anymore, and my
>> > connection
>> > is
>> > completely screwed. If I try to access the Base Station Management
>> > Utility,
>> > and go to Management Tool, that option is now grayed out. The computer
>> > can
>> > still see the wireless network, but everytime I try to connect, I get
>> > an
>> > "incorrect" security key, although it is the same one I have been using
>> > for
>> > one year. I tried to reset AND restore the base station numerous times,
>> > and I
>> > still don't know how to access the thing. Can anyone help me fix this
>> > problem??? I tried contacting MSFT e-mail support, but they don't have
>> > it
>> > for
>> > the MN-500 model. Thanks. (By the way, I am running SP2).

Wow. That has to be the most detailed, well-put support answer I've ever
received. And the best thing is...IT WORKED! Thank you so much, you are
invaluable. I called MSFT support group and the evading they gave me is
ridiculous in comparison to the help received from people like you. Keep up
the awesome work!!!

Now, I'm sorry if I'm overstepping here with :another: question, but you
seem very knowledgeable about these kind of things and I think you could best
answer it:

I changed my workgroup to the name of the workgroup that my other two Wired
computers have. The setup is as follows:

Modem 1 -> Router 1-> Computer 1 and Computer 2
Modem 1-> Router 1-> Base station -> Computer 3 (The one you just helped me
fix)

The modem and router are the same, I just can't draw two line pictures :)

Anyway, I would like so that I can share files between Computer 3 and the
other computers. Computers 1 and 2 can view each other under "View workgroup
Computers" fine, and can access each other, but when I go to Computer 3, it
says "UPNLan is not accessible. You might not have permission...contact
administrator, etc."

I've been on some forums and multiple people have said, "Disable DCHP on the
Base Station" or "Change the Base Station IP to your LinkSys Router's IP
range (which is 192.168.1.1)" - note, this method is the one that got me in
trouble in the first place :(.

Would you know of any techniques that might help me to get my computers to
view each other properly? Thanks so much!

"Chris H." wrote:

> [...]
> > network), and can connect. However, I receive no internet connection, and
> > when I try to access 192.168.2.1, I keep getting "Cannot Find Server"
> > errors.
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > "Chris H." wrote:
> >
> >> If you're holding a pen tip or unfolded paperclip in the Reset hole on
> >> the
> >> back of the base station, make sure you're holding it for at least five
> >> seconds. This will be confirmed by alternating orange and green lights
> >> on
> >> the router itself. Once that is done, you should be able to directly
> >> access
> >> the base station by opening your browser and going to 192.168.2.1 in the
> >> address line. That is the default address, while "admin" without the
> >> quotes, is the default password after you've reset it properly.

:cool: All three computers should be part of the same Workgroup, and you need
to make sure you've enabled File Sharing on each computer. If you don't
have any Sharing set up, there's nothing to access. I would check the
Properties of each LAN connection to make sure they exactly match everyone
else on the LAN. If you're wired to the router on all three machines,
everything should be done automatically for you, once the settings are
matched.

You need to have the following installed in the LAN properties, General tab:
- Client for Microsoft Networks
- File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
- Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
--

Chris H. wrote:
> :cool: All three computers should be part of the same Workgroup, and you need
> to make sure you've enabled File Sharing on each computer. If you don't
> have any Sharing set up, there's nothing to access. I would check the
> Properties of each LAN connection to make sure they exactly match everyone
> else on the LAN. If you're wired to the router on all three machines,
> everything should be done automatically for you, once the settings are
> matched.
>
> You need to have the following installed in the LAN properties, General tab:
> - Client for Microsoft Networks
> - File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
> - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

I have ensured that I've enabled File Sharing on each computer, and that
they are all the same settings. Those three items are all installed in
the LAN properties general tab. After fixing all of these, I can now see
only Computer 3 with Computer 3, and Computers 1 and 2 can still see
only themselves and each other. Any ideas?

Chris H. wrote:
> Go into the Command Prompt on the machine which can't do anything, and type
> in "ipconfig /all" without the quotation marks and see what IP address it is
> reporting for it. If it is not in the 192.168.2.*-100 (or so) range, you
> can try using "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew." There is
> documentation on this here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ipconfig.mspx
>
> If this doesn't release/renew the IP address, you may have a corrupt winsock
> which needs repair as described here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm
Thanks for the reply.
I used ipconfig, found Computer 3's IP to be 192.168.2.3, then released
and renewed it, and it was the same IP (and same story, couldn't see any
computers).

Then, I went to the website, and used the new SP2 command "netsh winsock
reset catalog" to reset the Winsock catalog, and when that didn't make a
difference, I downloaded the program listed here:
http://www.cit.cornell.edu/computer/security/spyware/WinFix/
and proceeded to follow instructions to repair/reset the Winsock again.
Still no changes - Computer 3 can only see Computer 3 on the network.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Check to make sure your Gateway on that machine is the base station IP
address. If it isn't addressing the base station, it won't be seeing anyone
else.
--

"UPM" <ampurohit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Chris H. wrote:
>> Go into the Command Prompt on the machine which can't do anything, and
>> type in "ipconfig /all" without the quotation marks and see what IP
>> address it is reporting for it. If it is not in the 192.168.2.*-100 (or
>> so) range, you can try using "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig
>> /renew." There is documentation on this here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ipconfig.mspx
>>
>> If this doesn't release/renew the IP address, you may have a corrupt
>> winsock which needs repair as described here:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm
> Thanks for the reply.
> I used ipconfig, found Computer 3's IP to be 192.168.2.3, then released
> and renewed it, and it was the same IP (and same story, couldn't see any
> computers).
>
> Then, I went to the website, and used the new SP2 command "netsh winsock
> reset catalog" to reset the Winsock catalog, and when that didn't make a
> difference, I downloaded the program listed here:
> http://www.cit.cornell.edu/computer/security/spyware/WinFix/
> and proceeded to follow instructions to repair/reset the Winsock again.
> Still no changes - Computer 3 can only see Computer 3 on the network. Any
> suggestions? Thanks.

Don't worry so much about the DHCP assigned address. There's a bug in the
DHCP ip ranges that the MN700 (i think that's what you are using) serves
out. The addresses you got are in the same tcp 'network' as your router, so
that's good enough.

Check to see that you've allowed File and Print Sharing through your Windows
Firewall.

Control Panel, Windows Firewall
Then goto the exceptions tab and make sure that File and Print Sharing is
checked.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

Chris H. wrote:
> Check to make sure your Gateway on that machine is the base station IP
> address. If it isn't addressing the base station, it won't be seeing anyone
> else.

/ipconfig says this:
IP Address: 192.168.2.3
Default Gateweay: 192.168.2.1

Base Station says this:
WAN:
IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
LAN:
Local IP Address: 192.168.2.1

Any thoughts? I guess the default gateways aren't the same...don't know
what to do next!

Then your Gateway should be 192.168.1.1 for all the machines, if that's how
the base station IP address is set.
--

Jason Tsang wrote:
> Don't worry so much about the DHCP assigned address. There's a bug in the
> DHCP ip ranges that the MN700 (i think that's what you are using) serves
> out. The addresses you got are in the same tcp 'network' as your router, so
> that's good enough.
>
> Check to see that you've allowed File and Print Sharing through your Windows
> Firewall.
>
> Control Panel, Windows Firewall
> Then goto the exceptions tab and make sure that File and Print Sharing is
> checked.

I'm using the MN-500, not sure if that has the same problem as the
MN-700. I made sure the Firewall settings are fine, but still not
working. One question though:

Is it wrong that the default gateway (using ipconfig) on Computers 1 and
2 is 192.168.1.1, and on Computer 3 (wireless) it's 192.168.2.1? Maybe
that indicates the problem?

Thanks for the help.

Chris H. wrote:
> Then your Gateway should be 192.168.1.1 for all the machines, if that's how
> the base station IP address is set.
Ok, but how do I change these settings? I went to view network
connections and edited the TCP/IP settings and changed the gateway to
192.168.1.1, and so that it wouldn't obtain everything automatically,
and assigned it an IP address of 192.168.1.105, and then set the DNS
server to the ones my other computers have. I tried various other
settings...all of them resulted in the same thing: No internet connection.

What about this option to set the base station as an access point or
bridge? Will that do anything?

No, you shouldn't do that with the base station. I'm out of ideas at the
moment. On that machine, you can go to a Command Prompt (not Start/Run) and
type in "ping 192.168.1.1" and you get a return, correct. Maybe Jason will
pop in with another idea. Everything seems to be as it should.
--

> Chris H. wrote:
>> Then your Gateway should be 192.168.1.1 for all the machines, if that's
>> how the base station IP address is set.
> Ok, but how do I change these settings? I went to view network connections
> and edited the TCP/IP settings and changed the gateway to 192.168.1.1, and
> so that it wouldn't obtain everything automatically, and assigned it an IP
> address of 192.168.1.105, and then set the DNS server to the ones my other
> computers have. I tried various other settings...all of them resulted in
> the same thing: No internet connection.
>
> What about this option to set the base station as an access point or
> bridge? Will that do anything?

Yes that is your problem. All gateways on all machines should be 192.168.2.1

Do not use DHCP. Set all IP's manually.

Machine1......192.168.2.2

Machine2......192.168.2.3

Machine3.......192.168.2.4

Make sure all gateways point to 192.168.2.1

Make sure you have an account with the same user name and password on all
machines.

Share at least on directory on all machines..........Make a directory called
"Temp" on all machines (without the quotes)

This should solve your problem.

Have fun!!!!

D (MCSE, MCSA, MCT)

> Jason Tsang wrote:
>> Don't worry so much about the DHCP assigned address. There's a bug in
>> the DHCP ip ranges that the MN700 (i think that's what you are using)
>> serves out. The addresses you got are in the same tcp 'network' as your
>> router, so that's good enough.
>>
>> Check to see that you've allowed File and Print Sharing through your
>> Windows Firewall.
>>
>> Control Panel, Windows Firewall
>> Then goto the exceptions tab and make sure that File and Print Sharing is
>> checked.
>>

> I'm using the MN-500, not sure if that has the same problem as the MN-700.
> I made sure the Firewall settings are fine, but still not working. One
> question though:
>
> Is it wrong that the default gateway (using ipconfig) on Computers 1 and 2
> is 192.168.1.1, and on Computer 3 (wireless) it's 192.168.2.1? Maybe that
> indicates the problem?
>
> Thanks for the help.

Thanks Chris H, Jason Tsang, and -Draino-, you have all be invaluable,
and I have got it working! Thanks a ton!