AMD Releases 6-Core Istanbul Ahead of Schedule

Tags:
  • Core
  • AMD
  • Product
Last response: in News comments
June 2, 2009 12:05:37 PM

Quote:
AMD claims the processor will produce 34 percent more performance than the existing "Shanghai" quad-core processor

Adding 33.3% more cores increases the performance by 34%? WOW!

I'm seriously wondering if they didn't just pull that number out of their asses based on the number of cores, or if they did any extensive testing.
Score
June 2, 2009 12:13:51 PM

TindytimAdding 33.3% more cores increases the performance by 34%? WOW!I'm seriously wondering if they didn't just pull that number out of their asses based on the number of cores, or if they did any extensive testing.

i wonder if you did some extensive search on their claims or you just pulled your comment out of your ass ?
Score
June 2, 2009 12:17:38 PM

TindytimAdding 33.3% more cores increases the performance by 34%? WOW!I'm seriously wondering if they didn't just pull that number out of their asses based on the number of cores, or if they did any extensive testing.

Very good point. Both are 45nm, so how can they add 2 cores and keep the same TDP while adding more than the theoretical possible of 33.3% performance?
Score
June 2, 2009 12:19:28 PM

ohimi wonder if you did some extensive search on their claims or you just pulled your comment out of your ass ?

What research? No one has their hands on this processor yet, other than AMD. And AMD hasn't gone into detail on how it achieved those numbers.

I said "I wonder" because I have no idea, simply the fact that they got that percentage is what I find curious. The scaling in performance is rarely that large when adding cores.
Score
June 2, 2009 12:25:46 PM

wait and time will tell ;)  maybe they left out the part where they changed a bit the core architecture, or against what they chose to compare performance since we all know the intel adds up to 85% more performance in multimedia(compared to what ??) buy intel now ... etc :)  marketing stuff :) 
Score
June 2, 2009 12:49:08 PM

TindytimWhat research? No one has their hands on this processor yet, other than AMD. And AMD hasn't gone into detail on how it achieved those numbers.I said "I wonder" because I have no idea, simply the fact that they got that percentage is what I find curious. The scaling in performance is rarely that large when adding cores.

How about we all learn some math before we post. 2 more cores mean 50% more cores right?(50% * 4 =2) So the theoretical maximum performance gain is 50%.
It's 34% because not all applications use 6 threads.
Score
June 2, 2009 12:51:05 PM

Having a 4 core processor and udgrade it to 6-core is a 50% upgrade not 33%. So we have a boost of 50% more cores and 34% boost in performance. Correct me if I'' wrong! Nevertheless it seems to be a very good product that will press more the cost for the 4 core processor
Score
June 2, 2009 12:52:54 PM

armistitiuHow about we all learn some math before we post. 2 more cores mean 50% more cores right?(50% * 4 =2) So the theoretical maximum performance gain is 50%.It's 34% because not all applications use 6 threads.

4 cores out of 6 means 66.6% so the 6 core CPU has 33.4% more power :) 
Score
June 2, 2009 1:05:25 PM

armistitiuHow about we all learn some math before we post. 2 more cores mean 50% more cores right?(50% * 4 =2) So the theoretical maximum performance gain is 50%.It's 34% because not all applications use 6 threads.

Score
June 2, 2009 1:26:55 PM

Crap, your right. Thanks for making us feel dumb.
Score
June 2, 2009 1:56:56 PM

lol... basic math eludes some.

Gave me my morning laugh early today! :) 
Score
June 2, 2009 2:24:40 PM

ohim4 cores out of 6 means 66.6% so the 6 core CPU has 33.4% more power

4 out of 6 cores is 66.7% represented as a fraction. Going from (keyword being increase) 4 to 6 cores is a 50% increase. We are comparing the gains of increasing core quantity from 4 to 6 cores here.

vertigo_2000lol... basic math eludes some.Gave me my morning laugh early today!

Dyslexia of the mind maybe?

These are also server chips, so they are geared for low power and maximum throughput when implemented within a network of similar hardware. The 34% is believable given what they run is capable of using these chips' full potential.
Score
June 2, 2009 2:39:04 PM

Well i won't show off my math skills...

I think this is great news for AMD, I hope the processor does have a 33.4% increase.
Score
June 2, 2009 2:44:22 PM

Matt_B4 out of 6 cores is 66.7% represented as a fraction. Going from (keyword being increase) 4 to 6 cores is a 50% increase. We are comparing the gains of increasing core quantity from 4 to 6 cores here. Dyslexia of the mind maybe?These are also server chips, so they are geared for low power and maximum throughput when implemented within a network of similar hardware. The 34% is believable given what they run is capable of using these chips' full potential.

i know but it`s funny how a simple thing can fuk up your mind and at some poing you don`t know which one is wich :D 
Score
Anonymous
June 2, 2009 2:50:07 PM

I can't wait to show my friend all of what's been going on in the technology space. He's been away for almost 2 years serving a mission, and has no idea about i7, physics and gpgpus etc. I'm trying to think of how best to blow his mind :p 
Score
June 2, 2009 3:04:36 PM

The Istanbuls have 6 cores.
6 was the number of main characters on the show Friends.
Friends had Matthew Perry as one of the characters.
Matthew Perry starred alongside Bruce Willis in 'The Whole Nine Yards'.
Bruce Willis starred in '12 Monkeys' with Brad Pitt.
Brad Pitt starred in 'Sleepers' with Kevin Bacon.

6 degrees to Kevin Bacon! HOOWAH!
Score
June 2, 2009 3:07:25 PM

Wait... if they released it already... then that means they jsut beat intel to the 6 core.

OWNED!

I still want an i7. ;-;
Score
June 2, 2009 3:26:05 PM

ohim4 cores out of 6 means 66.6% so the 6 core CPU has 33.4% more power

You said 4 cores out of 6. This means the reference is the 6 cores.
So the 6 core has, according to your calculations 0% more power (the reference is itself).
I can't believe we are discussing this on THG.
Score
June 2, 2009 3:45:49 PM

you should not bother with any figure....performance depends on the software.
Score
June 2, 2009 3:47:01 PM

zodiacfmlyou should not bother with any figure....performance depends on the software.

100% agreed. Software is still lagging behind.
Score
June 2, 2009 3:58:39 PM

now we are getting there AMD. This advanced release (pending it was THOROUGHLY TESTED) is a great way to take more of Intel's market. I personally wont be upgrading until the 16core 64 bit comes out, for a reasonable price. I switched back to Intel Duo Core a while back... because I need processing power and floating point calculations for 3D Rendering (yes at home).
Score
June 2, 2009 4:26:15 PM

I love AMD and it's great to hear good news from the company.

But I'm wondering how long it will be until we see Istanbul II.
Score
June 2, 2009 6:17:58 PM

... alright!!! ... and how long till it come to desktop?
Score
Anonymous
June 2, 2009 7:11:34 PM

Basic math.

Comparing the number 4 to the number 6.

It is correct to say that the number 6 is 50% bigger then the number 4.

It is also correct to say that the number 4 is 66.66666% of the number 6, or 33.333333% smaller then the number 6.

It is NOT correct to say that the number 6 is 33% more then 4, it is also not correct to say that the number 4 is 50% less then the number 6.

Both percentages are correct, 33.3333 and 50%, IF you state them correctly.

6 cores is a 50% upgrade over 4. 4 cores is a 33% downgrade over 6.
Score
June 2, 2009 9:27:17 PM

Gin FushichoWait... if they released it already... then that means they jsut beat intel to the 6 core.....OWNED!I still want an i7. ;-;

Intels 8 threads = AMD's 6 cores no doubt, higher IPC and memory bandwidth all helps

Gin FushichoIts a socket 604 I dont believe it to be a true 6 core.

Ah not this old bullshit again - how many cores total? 6? THEN ITS 6 CORES

DjEaZy... alright!!! ... and how long till it come to desktop?

i7 6 cores are supposed to come when the i5's get released so that people will see the differences between high end and mid/low end etc, what i wonder is when were going to see a naehlem based celeron LOL

Gin Fushicho100% agreed. Software is still lagging behind.

since when do we run just one app on our pc?
Score
June 3, 2009 6:42:06 AM

ceterasYou said 4 cores out of 6. This means the reference is the 6 cores.So the 6 core has, according to your calculations 0% more power (the reference is itself).I can't believe we are discussing this on THG.

This chip would probably be more ideal for virtualization servers.
Score
June 3, 2009 9:33:58 AM

i suspect a paper release with zero stock - amd's answer to intels 6 core chip etc
Score
June 3, 2009 9:57:29 AM

Great arithmetic skills... Way to go.
zodiacfmlyou should not bother with any figure....performance depends on the software.

Don't worry, server os/sw is up to the task. Desktop crap like m$ vi$hta doesn't apply.
Score
!