Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Full Install

Last response: in Windows 7
June 24, 2010 3:31:56 AM

I have ASUS CM5570-APoo2 Desktop. Came with Vista Home Premium. Win 7 Ult will NOT Full install over it. Bought a new 2 TB Green Cavalier HHD. Win 7 Ult would not install. Tried Everything. Would install... then reboot...blank screen. Just re-installed my Vista without any problems on the new HHD. My next step is to Upgrade with my Win 7 Ult. Microsoft Win 7 UPG tool says all hardware compatible. This is my first 64-bit installation. I thought it had something to do with the format. I used EASEUS Partition Master to create partitions and format at about install 25. VISTA goes on again with ease. Is this a Win 7 problem or a desktop-related bios problem or dementia?

More about : windows full install

a b $ Windows 7
June 24, 2010 4:02:59 AM

If you boot into the BIOS, make the DVD drive the first boot device, boot off the Windows 7 disc, do a custom install, it will format and install.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 24, 2010 7:47:46 AM

If your Vista is 32-bit, you will not be able to do an in-place upgrade to Windows 7 x64. It has to be a clean install.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 24, 2010 8:05:53 AM

As Herr_Koos said you must do a clean install, you can't do an inplace upgrade from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit one.
Use the W7 Easy Transfer Wizard to save your files and settings to an external drive or dvd/s.
To use the W7 Easy Transfer Wizard in Vista:
Browse to the DVD drive on your computer and click migsetup.exe in the Support\Migwiz directory.
Once W7 is installed restore from the Easy Transfer Wizard file you created.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 24, 2010 11:53:06 AM

The custom install will move the user files to windows.old.
m
l
July 1, 2010 3:17:05 AM

I appreciate the assistance from all of you here! Thank you!

My system is 64-bit. All OS are 64-bit. Bios is set to boot from DVD first by default. I have purchased two OEM Win 7 Ultimate Full and Full/Upgrade 64-bit software packages. I have downloaded and burned DVDs from ISOs... Win 7 Full Ultimate and PRO 64-bit. I have installed both Full and Upgrade from the HHD and custom installs and upgrade from the DVD after re-boot. I have attempted "repairs" from the Win 7 DVD. I purchased a new HHD. Win 7, both Ultimate and PRO, will not clean install on the HHD in this machine or the new one. Win Vista will not establish a duel-boot with another OS. Vista will not allow an additional OS on the HHD. My Win Vista Home Premium will always clean install. I have upgraded the Bios on the motherboard. I have upgraded the drivers for my wireless, graphics card, and audio. I must upgrade those every time I re-install the Win Vista. All versions of Win 7will go through the entire list. It always stalls just before it is supposed to re-boot and open to the first start-up under Windows 7. No screen ever comes up to establish a User and enter a Product Key. A blank screen remains until I pull the plug. When I use a partition software, it reflects Win 7 is installed. It will not repair. It will not boot up.

I called Microsoft. They do not and will not support an OEM version of Windows 7. I called ASUS and they tell me that I need to call Microsoft. The ASUS site lists this computer as "Windows 7 Ready." The Microsoft upgrade tool informs me that my computer is Win 7 ready. I have tried the Transfer Wizard in Win Vista without success.

Another thing: On a clean boot, NO Windows 7 DVD will allow me to use the "Format" button. It will allow me to delete and create partitions; and, denies access to "Format." It will load files and install without formatting. Both Win Vista and Win 7 create a 100MB reserve partition. On the other hand, Win Vista allows me to recover on this desktop without even a partition created. It does it all automatically. No mater what I do to the original 640G HHD or the new 2TB HHD... Win Vista will install itself without much assistance from me in about 15-20 minutes. The Win Vista OS is a ASUS OEM specific OS with a second driver disc that re-installs the original drivers (so I must upgrade all the drivers again and again).

I downloaded 64-bit Ubuntu and Fedora 13. Ubunta Live installed on the HHD just like a program operating on Win Vista.

Vista will allow me to do an in-place upgrade from the Web (or so it states). I do not trust Windows 7 software to behave as expected on this machine. I am a retired network engineer and have never encountered a problem like this. I recently installed every 32-bit OS I have on a few machines in order to observe the install sequence. Every OS installed as expected except Windows 7. I have never liked Vista and only bought this machine because it was supposed to be Windows 7 compatible. It is my first 64-bit desktop and I was looking forward to being able to use my 32-bit programs in Win 7.

Now I am curious about whether or not Full version Fedora 13 DVD will install on a unformated HHD on this system.

By the Way: Folks are reporting the same experience that I am having when attempting upgrades or custom installs on machines that run Vista Home Premium. I thought they were full of it.

I originally purchased an OEM Full version of Win 7 PRO. It would not install. And Vista Home Premium cannot be upgraded by Win 7 PRO.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 1, 2010 3:47:27 AM

I have personally done the upgrade from Vista home 32bit, to Windows 7 ultimate 64bit. All you I did, was change the boot order to boot off the optical drive first. Once the system booted off the W7 disc, I chose the custom install. I've even done this upgrade from Windows XP Pro 32bit.
m
l
July 1, 2010 4:07:36 AM

aford10 said:
I have personally done the upgrade from Vista home 32bit, to Windows 7 ultimate 64bit. All you I did, was change the boot order to boot off the optical drive first. Once the system booted off the W7 disc, I chose the custom install. I've even done this upgrade from Windows XP Pro 32bit.

64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium came installed on my machine. It was 64-bit NOT 32-bit. I have booted off my optical drive over 20 times now. Windows 7 Ultimate or PRO always installs. It just never re-boots to the screen where it asks for a User ID and Product ID. It reboots, then a blank screen... and a forever stall. It shows Windows 7 on the HHD. If I re-boot it... it goes to the blank screen after a screen that says Windows 7 is rebooting for the first time. I have installed and installed and re-installed about 30 times now. Vista always installs back on the HHD without a problem. Windows 7 NEVER reboots to the start-up page where it asks for a User ID and Password. It never has asked for a Product ID. When I called Microsoft, they verified my Product Key as OEM and stated that they do NOT support OEM versions of Windows 7. ASUS tells me to call Microsoft.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 1, 2010 4:12:15 AM

Microsoft is correct. If your OS is OEM, they are not responsible for support. Asus purchased the OEM license, they are responsible for tech support.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 1, 2010 4:13:36 AM

OEM licenses don't always ask for a product key. Since you are trying to upgrade from an OEM install, it may not prompt you for one.
m
l
July 6, 2010 8:16:04 AM

Hey Folks!

Thanks for all your assistance. I have been up the last several nights with this computer. I purchased a new Full version of Windows 7 Ultimate. Install failed again (ASUS told me that it wouldn't). CompUSA told me that it wouldn't fail.

This AM (yesterday), I called ASUS technical support once again. I finally talked to a technician that told me that I will NEVER be able to update OR clean install any version of Windows 7 on this computer unless I BUY their proprietary Windows 7 OS. The further stated that I could only upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium. They do not have a proprietary Windows Ultimate that will upgrade my system from Vista Home Premium. They further stated that I would VOID my warranty if I attempted to install any other OS other than their proprietary OS.

The REASON: They have prohibited any Microsoft OS not purchased from them by a BIOS software block. It will not allow anything other than their proprietary software to fully install.

I asked to speak to a supervisor. I asked for BIOS ROM that would enable me to flash my BIOS and remove the block. He refused. I went out on the universe and downloaded a BIOS update for the same motherboard that I have in my computer and attempted to flash the BIOS. EZ Flash and their BIOS update utility would not allow me to use the ROM.

I am in the midst of researching and building a new AMD Core X 6 system.

I intend to put the ASUS machine back together and sell it. Or... I might get up one night in the early morning hours and find a way to force a flash of this BIOS... and live happily ever after.

Now that I have 3 product keys for Microsoft Windows 7 products... I can have some fun!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 6, 2010 11:53:07 AM

I think you're being told a fib. While they do have OEM OS installs, I'm not aware of any way they can block retail versions from the BIOS.
m
l
July 6, 2010 6:33:53 PM

Big surprise for me also. I took the computer to CompUSA this AM. I challenged them to install Windows 7 Ultimate on my machine on a new 2TB HHD that I put in the machine. I have not been able to speak to anyone above the regular tech support telephone lines at Tigerdirect or ASUS. I have left messages at customer relations department at the corporate offices of both companies. No response.

I have been talking on a regular basis with technicians at ASUS for two months. They have made all kinds of suggestions that have cost me about $600. I talked to an informed ASUS technician for the first time a few days ago. He stated to me that there was a block in the BIOS chip that prohibited me from installing any other OS. When I spoke to his supervisor, the supervisor acknowledged that the BIOS, in fact, did prohibit me from installing the OSs that I had purchased. The only OS that it did not prohibit was Fedora 13. Linux 64-bit installed fine. The problem with Fedora 13 is that software has not been written for 13 that I want/need. Or this would not have been an issue for me.

I bought this machine, specifically to use with Windows 7 Ultimate:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

I am NOT an inexperienced technician. I have been building/repairing machines for about 20 years. Compaq, Dell, and Gateway used to employ these tactics. They were all forced by the marketplace to abandon their proprietary tactics. Personally, I still do not purchase one of their retail machines.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 6, 2010 7:04:18 PM

The only similar thing I've seen, was with some Dell systems. There was an OS install mode in the BIOS, that had to be enabled. There was also a jumper on the hard drive that needed to be moved. Needless to say though, they were some older Dell PCs.
m
l
!