I need to do a system recovery, need help!!!

I need to do a system recovery on my dell computer. I tried using the
original cd to to do this but sence it has xp with service pack 1, it would
not work becuase I have SP2, I need help on how to do this please.

thank you
ph
13 answers Last reply
More about system recovery help

    You'll have to do it that way,you should have the option to format and
    recovery,
    select to do both,returning the computer to factory settings.If you have a
    xp cd,you can boot to xp cd,then select R for recovery (read kb307545 and/or
    kb307654),or at menu screen select:install xp,then select repair this
    copy.This
    repairs xp but eliminates all updates SP1 SP2 etc...

    "patti123" wrote:

    > I need to do a system recovery on my dell computer. I tried using the
    > original cd to to do this but sence it has xp with service pack 1, it would
    > not work becuase I have SP2, I need help on how to do this please.
    >
    > thank you
    > ph

    There was nothing there that said format or recovery

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > You'll have to do it that way,you should have the option to format and
    > recovery,
    > select to do both,returning the computer to factory settings.If you have a
    > xp cd,you can boot to xp cd,then select R for recovery (read kb307545 and/or
    > kb307654),or at menu screen select:install xp,then select repair this
    > copy.This
    > repairs xp but eliminates all updates SP1 SP2 etc...
    >
    > "patti123" wrote:
    >
    > > I need to do a system recovery on my dell computer. I tried using the
    > > original cd to to do this but sence it has xp with service pack 1, it would
    > > not work becuase I have SP2, I need help on how to do this please.
    > >
    > > thank you
    > > ph

    the cd I have is: Operating System
    Reinstallation cd
    Microsoft windows XP Home Edition
    Including service pack 1

    I do not have a CD that says recovery cd, Is that what I need, and if so
    where can I get one and how much?

    thanks
    PH

    "patti123" wrote:

    > There was nothing there that said format or recovery
    >
    > "Andrew E." wrote:
    >
    > > You'll have to do it that way,you should have the option to format and
    > > recovery,
    > > select to do both,returning the computer to factory settings.If you have a
    > > xp cd,you can boot to xp cd,then select R for recovery (read kb307545 and/or
    > > kb307654),or at menu screen select:install xp,then select repair this
    > > copy.This
    > > repairs xp but eliminates all updates SP1 SP2 etc...
    > >
    > > "patti123" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I need to do a system recovery on my dell computer. I tried using the
    > > > original cd to to do this but sence it has xp with service pack 1, it would
    > > > not work becuase I have SP2, I need help on how to do this please.
    > > >
    > > > thank you
    > > > ph

    Patti,

    The OS Reinstall cd will wipe any and all info/data/music you've accumulated
    since you've had your system and return it to the way you received it from
    Dell. To my knowledge, Dell does not offer a "recovery" cd as such, only the
    OS reinstall disk and whatever program disks that came with the system. If
    you can save your important data to cd, please do so before reinstalling the
    OS. In order to reinstall the OS, you will have to set the computer to boot
    from the cd drive in the system bios. Your system manual will have
    instructions for this procedure. If you no longer have the manual, look-up
    your system on the Dell website for instructions. Best of luck.

    --
    Curt,
    'The way is open to those who would see'

    "patti123" <patti123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > the cd I have is: Operating System
    > Reinstallation cd
    > Microsoft windows XP Home Edition
    > Including service pack 1
    >
    > I do not have a CD that says recovery cd, Is that what I need, and if so
    > where can I get one and how much?
    >
    > thanks
    > PH
    >
    > "patti123" wrote:
    >
    >> There was nothing there that said format or recovery
    >>
    >> "Andrew E." wrote:
    >>
    >> > You'll have to do it that way,you should have the option to format and
    >> > recovery,
    >> > select to do both,returning the computer to factory settings.If you
    >> > have a
    >> > xp cd,you can boot to xp cd,then select R for recovery (read kb307545
    >> > and/or
    >> > kb307654),or at menu screen select:install xp,then select repair this
    >> > copy.This
    >> > repairs xp but eliminates all updates SP1 SP2 etc...

    the os cd is the operating system cd, correct?

    "Curt" wrote:

    > Patti,
    >
    > The OS Reinstall cd will wipe any and all info/data/music you've accumulated
    > since you've had your system and return it to the way you received it from
    > Dell. To my knowledge, Dell does not offer a "recovery" cd as such, only the
    > OS reinstall disk and whatever program disks that came with the system. If
    > you can save your important data to cd, please do so before reinstalling the
    > OS. In order to reinstall the OS, you will have to set the computer to boot
    > from the cd drive in the system bios. Your system manual will have
    > instructions for this procedure. If you no longer have the manual, look-up
    > your system on the Dell website for instructions. Best of luck.
    >
    > --
    > Curt,
    > 'The way is open to those who would see'
    >
    > "patti123" <patti123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > the cd I have is: Operating System
    > > Reinstallation cd
    > > Microsoft windows XP Home Edition
    > > Including service pack 1
    > >
    > > I do not have a CD that says recovery cd, Is that what I need, and if so
    > > where can I get one and how much?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > > PH
    > >
    > > "patti123" wrote:
    > >
    > >> There was nothing there that said format or recovery

    Yep...sure is. What model Dell do you have? I recently had to reinstall the
    OS on my Dell laptop. It an easy process once you've set the bios to boot
    from the cd. Just pop the os cd, reboot and follow the instructions that
    pop-up.

    --

    > the os cd is the operating system cd, correct?
    >

    > "Curt" wrote:
    >
    >> Patti,
    >>
    >> The OS Reinstall cd will wipe any and all info/data/music you've
    >> accumulated
    >> since you've had your system and return it to the way you received it
    >> from
    >> Dell. To my knowledge, Dell does not offer a "recovery" cd as such, only
    >> the
    >> OS reinstall disk and whatever program disks that came with the system.
    >> If
    >> you can save your important data to cd, please do so before reinstalling
    >> the
    >> OS. In order to reinstall the OS, you will have to set the computer to
    >> boot
    >> from the cd drive in the system bios. Your system manual will have
    >> instructions for this procedure. If you no longer have the manual,
    >> look-up
    >> your system on the Dell website for instructions. Best of luck.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Curt,
    >> 'The way is open to those who would see'
    >>
    >> "patti123" <patti123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > the cd I have is: Operating System
    >> > Reinstallation cd
    >> > Microsoft windows XP Home Edition
    >> > Including service pack 1
    >> >
    >> > I do not have a CD that says recovery cd, Is that what I need, and if
    >> > so
    >> > where can I get one and how much?
    >> >
    >> > thanks
    >> > PH

    how do you reboot and check bios? I dont get that. do i have to press a F key
    when its restarting?

    thanks for you help

    "Curt" wrote:

    > Yep...sure is. What model Dell do you have? I recently had to reinstall the
    > OS on my Dell laptop. It an easy process once you've set the bios to boot
    > from the cd. Just pop the os cd, reboot and follow the instructions that
    > pop-up.
    >
    > --
    > Curt,
    > 'The way is open to those who would see'
    >
    > "patti123" <patti123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > the os cd is the operating system cd, correct?
    > >

    > > "Curt" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Patti,
    > >>
    > >> The OS Reinstall cd will wipe any and all info/data/music you've
    > >> accumulated
    > >> since you've had your system and return it to the way you received it
    > >> from
    > >> Dell. To my knowledge, Dell does not offer a "recovery" cd as such, only
    > >> the
    > >> OS reinstall disk and whatever program disks that came with the system.
    > >> If
    > >> you can save your important data to cd, please do so before reinstalling
    > >> the
    > >> OS. In order to reinstall the OS, you will have to set the computer to
    > >> boot
    > >> from the cd drive in the system bios. Your system manual will have
    > >> instructions for this procedure. If you no longer have the manual,
    > >> look-up
    > >> your system on the Dell website for instructions. Best of luck.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Curt,
    > >> 'The way is open to those who would see'
    > >>
    > >> "patti123" <patti123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    oh yeah, i have a 8300 dimension

    "patti123" wrote:

    > how do you reboot and check bios? I dont get that. do i have to press a F key
    > when its restarting?
    >
    > thanks for you help
    >
    > "Curt" wrote:
    >
    > > Yep...sure is. What model Dell do you have? I recently had to reinstall the
    > > OS on my Dell laptop. It an easy process once you've set the bios to boot
    > > from the cd. Just pop the os cd, reboot and follow the instructions that
    > > pop-up.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Curt,
    > > 'The way is open to those who would see'
    > >
    > > "patti123" <patti123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > the os cd is the operating system cd, correct?

    What exactly do you mean by "I need to do a system recovery"?
    More importantly, why are you trying to reinstall XP?

    When you tried to use the original CD to reinstall Windows did
    you boot from the CD or was Windows running and you just put the
    CD in the drive?

    If you insist on reinstalling Windows, you've got two options.

    1. If you're looking to perform a repair installation (meaning
    you won't lose all your data and program files) you might want to
    take a look at these articles:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

    2. If you need to wipe out the contents of your hard drive and
    perform a clean installation then take a look here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/honeycutt_02october07.mspx

    A clean installation means having to reinstall all your
    applications as well as restoring all your (hopefully) backed up
    data files.

    Your current CD should be capable of performing both of these
    procedures. You've just got to boot from the CD. At the very
    least. you'll have to install SP2 and any post SP2 updates.

    If you want to avoid the need to reinstall SP2 then you will have
    to create an XP installation CD that has SP2 integrated into the
    installation files. This is a process called slipstreaming. You
    can get more info on this topic here:

    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

    http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "patti123" <patti123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > the cd I have is: Operating System
    > Reinstallation cd
    > Microsoft windows XP Home Edition
    > Including service pack 1
    >
    > I do not have a CD that says recovery cd, Is that what I need,
    > and if so
    > where can I get one and how much?
    >
    > thanks
    > PH
    >
    > "patti123" wrote:
    >
    >> There was nothing there that said format or recovery
    >>
    >> "Andrew E." wrote:
    >>
    >> > You'll have to do it that way,you should have the option to
    >> > format and
    >> > recovery,
    >> > select to do both,returning the computer to factory
    >> > settings.If you have a
    >> > xp cd,you can boot to xp cd,then select R for recovery
    >> > (read kb307545 and/or
    >> > kb307654),or at menu screen select:install xp,then select
    >> > repair this
    >> > copy.This
    >> > repairs xp but eliminates all updates SP1 SP2 etc...

    I can't say for certain what key to press during bootup on the 8300, but if
    the F3 key is indicated then that's the one to use. Once you're into the
    BIOS, (system setup), read the screens carefully and navigate to the 'boot'
    order screen. Once there, follow the instructions on how to change the boot
    order. The instructions can be rather cryptic, so read and re-read them
    carefully. You'll want to have the cd drive as the first device. Open you cd
    drive, pop in the OS cd and restart. You'll be off and running from there.

    DON'T FORGET to change the boot order back to the HD once you've reinstalled
    the OS.

    > how do you reboot and check bios? I dont get that. do i have to press a F
    > key
    > when its restarting?
    >
    > thanks for you help
    >
    > "Curt" wrote:
    >
    >> Yep...sure is. What model Dell do you have? I recently had to reinstall
    >> the
    >> OS on my Dell laptop. It an easy process once you've set the bios to boot
    >> from the cd. Just pop the os cd, reboot and follow the instructions that
    >> pop-up.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Curt,
    >> 'The way is open to those who would see'
    >>
    >> "patti123" <patti123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > the os cd is the operating system cd, correct?

    Here's a link to check..
    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?c=us&cs=19&DN=1080241&type=SRG&l=en&s=dhs

    | oh yeah, i have a 8300 dimension
    |
    | "patti123" wrote:
    |
    | > how do you reboot and check bios? I dont get that. do i have to
    press a F key
    | > when its restarting?
    | >
    | > thanks for you help
    | >
    | > "Curt" wrote:
    | >
    | > > Yep...sure is. What model Dell do you have? I recently had to
    reinstall the
    | > > OS on my Dell laptop. It an easy process once you've set the
    bios to boot
    | > > from the cd. Just pop the os cd, reboot and follow the
    instructions that
    | > > pop-up.
    | > >
    | > > --
    | > > Curt,
    | > > 'The way is open to those who would see'
    | > >
    | > > "patti123" <patti123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    should I unplug everything from the back of my computer when I re-boot, like
    my printer, cable modem ethernet broadband router, stuff like that?

    thanks
    patti

    "Ricky" wrote:

    > Here's a link to check..
    > http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?c=us&cs=19&DN=1080241&type=SRG&l=en&s=dhs
    >
    > "patti123" <patti123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | oh yeah, i have a 8300 dimension
    > |
    > | "patti123" wrote:
    > |
    > | > how do you reboot and check bios? I dont get that. do i have to
    > press a F key
    > | > when its restarting?
    > | >
    > | > thanks for you help

    > reinstall the
    > bios to boot
    > instructions that

    > you've
    > received it
    > such, only
    > the system.
    > reinstalling
    > computer to
    > have
    > manual,
    > luck.

    > message

    > need, and if

    > option to format
    > settings.If you
    > (read
    > select repair

    > tried using
    > service pack 1,
    > this please.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Yes, unplug everything. You will have to reinstall all your peripherals once
    the OS is installed.

    Curt.

    > should I unplug everything from the back of my computer when I re-boot,
    > like
    > my printer, cable modem ethernet broadband router, stuff like that?
    >
    > thanks
    > patti
    >
    > "Ricky" wrote:
    >
    >> Here's a link to check..