Windows Search not working

Symptom: trying to get Windows Search, window does not come up. Windows does
not respond - or does not respond properly - for about 20 seconds (for
example Start menu will not open during this time) and then responds again.
All methods of getting in to Search produce same result.

I did Windows updates 890923, 893803, 890859, 893066, 893086, 887742 &
Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Already tried:
I have tried going to Restore point before these Updates. Did not work, so
Undid Restore. I have tried removing all Updates in Add & Remove programs.
Also not worked.

Not sure when I last used Search, but was within a few weeks.

Using Win XP Professional SP2.

I had exactly this problem aftre the update.

After six wasted hours of searching and trying solutions I found this worked:

Solution that worked for me:

Use iefix (downloaded from Majorgeeks.com) and select the remove iexplorer
option. This allowed a complete ie reinstal from Service pack 2 disc (or I
guess you could get it from Microsoft web site).

Hope this helps.

Jim

"Frank S" wrote:

> Clarification and further info:
>
> What I meant was that I did the Updates yesterday and noticed today that
> Search was not working.
>
> I have also tried going back to Restore point before Updates after removing
> the Updates.
>
> Frank S

Hi

Please see if the following link to Kelly's web site helps:

"Why doesn't Search work?"

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Frank S" <FrankS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Clarification and further info:
>
> What I meant was that I did the Updates yesterday and noticed today that
> Search was not working.
>
> I have also tried going back to Restore point before Updates after
> removing
> the Updates.
>
> Frank S

Thanks Jim and Will for your suggestions, though I did not actually use those
methods - partly because they looked too scary and I thought I'd have a think
about it first.

I Restored to a Restore Point further back (2 weeks back) and Search is
working again.

I have re-installed the Updates and Search is still working! so maybe the
Updates had nothing to do with it.

Frank S

TRENDING THREADS