Windows Search not working

Symptom: trying to get Windows Search, window does not come up. Windows does
not respond - or does not respond properly - for about 20 seconds (for
example Start menu will not open during this time) and then responds again.
All methods of getting in to Search produce same result.

I did Windows updates 890923, 893803, 890859, 893066, 893086, 887742 &
Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Already tried:
I have tried going to Restore point before these Updates. Did not work, so
Undid Restore. I have tried removing all Updates in Add & Remove programs.
Also not worked.

Not sure when I last used Search, but was within a few weeks.

Using Win XP Professional SP2.
3 answers Last reply
More about windows search working

    I had exactly this problem aftre the update.

    After six wasted hours of searching and trying solutions I found this worked:

    Solution that worked for me:

    Use iefix (downloaded from Majorgeeks.com) and select the remove iexplorer
    option. This allowed a complete ie reinstal from Service pack 2 disc (or I
    guess you could get it from Microsoft web site).

    Hope this helps.

    Jim

    "Frank S" wrote:

    > Clarification and further info:
    >
    > What I meant was that I did the Updates yesterday and noticed today that
    > Search was not working.
    >
    > I have also tried going back to Restore point before Updates after removing
    > the Updates.
    >
    > Frank S

    Hi

    Please see if the following link to Kelly's web site helps:

    "Why doesn't Search work?"

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Frank S" <FrankS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Clarification and further info:
    >
    > What I meant was that I did the Updates yesterday and noticed today that
    > Search was not working.
    >
    > I have also tried going back to Restore point before Updates after
    > removing
    > the Updates.
    >
    > Frank S

    Thanks Jim and Will for your suggestions, though I did not actually use those
    methods - partly because they looked too scary and I thought I'd have a think
    about it first.

    I Restored to a Restore Point further back (2 weeks back) and Search is
    working again.

    I have re-installed the Updates and Search is still working! so maybe the
    Updates had nothing to do with it.

    Frank S

Windows Search Windows XP