advice on printers

I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 5 years old) and ink (shadowy print)
is finally beginning to streak when I print. I suspect the cartridge may
finally need replacing. A replacement cartridge costs about $75. Would I
be better off buying a new printer in the $150-$200 range? Is that
realistic?

I appreciate your advice and recommendations. (I am biased towards HP
printers as this one has worked so well for this long.)
29 answers Last reply
More about advice printers

    I'm sort of in the same boat. I have a 7 year old LaserJet 6L. I know it's
    just a matter of time before the toner starts running low. (It's been on the
    same toner cartidge for a couple of years.) A new toner cartridge is $60 at
    Staples but I can buy a whole new printer for about $100. (Just about any
    laser printer that normally sells for about $150 can be had for much less if
    you watch for sales and rebates.)

    So for about $40 more than it would cost to replace the toner cartridge in
    my old printer, I can get today's printer technology (faster ppm, better
    resolution, etc.), a USB connection to my computer and a driver made for
    Windows XP.

    Ted Zieglar

    "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
    > I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 5 years old) and ink (shadowy
    print)
    > is finally beginning to streak when I print. I suspect the cartridge may
    > finally need replacing. A replacement cartridge costs about $75. Would I
    > be better off buying a new printer in the $150-$200 range? Is that
    > realistic?
    >
    > I appreciate your advice and recommendations. (I am biased towards HP
    > printers as this one has worked so well for this long.)

    advantages of a new sub $100 laser printer like the minolta 1350w is that
    has a usb port, prints very fast, and is new and so under warranty. the
    down side is that many of the new printers do not have the build quality of
    the older lasers, and that you will probably have to buy a usb cable adding
    a large percentage to the total cost. on the other hand, if you get a new
    computer you may have to get a adapter (usb to parallel cable) to get your
    old machine to work as many new computers do not come with parallel ports in
    them. as for the two hp models mentioned above (the 6p and 6l) they are
    both know for developing paper pick up problems that are not economically
    fixable... hp does (did?) offer a free repair tool that essentially inserted
    a new foam pick up pad into the printer but that only lasts for a certain
    period of time before the problem comes back... so, if you have a paper
    pick up problem, are low on toner, and are expecting to buy a new computer
    in the foreseeable feature then i say it buy a new printer rather than buy a
    toner for your old one.

    > I'm sort of in the same boat. I have a 7 year old LaserJet 6L. I know it's
    > just a matter of time before the toner starts running low. (It's been on
    > the
    > same toner cartidge for a couple of years.) A new toner cartridge is $60
    > at
    > Staples but I can buy a whole new printer for about $100. (Just about any
    > laser printer that normally sells for about $150 can be had for much less
    > if
    > you watch for sales and rebates.)
    >
    > So for about $40 more than it would cost to replace the toner cartridge in
    > my old printer, I can get today's printer technology (faster ppm, better
    > resolution, etc.), a USB connection to my computer and a driver made for
    > Windows XP.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
    >> I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 5 years old) and ink (shadowy
    > print)
    >> is finally beginning to streak when I print. I suspect the cartridge may
    >> finally need replacing. A replacement cartridge costs about $75. Would
    >> be better off buying a new printer in the $150-$200 range? Is that
    >> realistic?
    >>
    >> I appreciate your advice and recommendations. (I am biased towards HP
    >> printers as this one has worked so well for this long.)

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:27:51 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
    <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >advantages of a new sub $100 laser printer like the minolta 1350w is that
    >has a usb port, prints very fast, and is new and so under warranty. the
    >down side is that many of the new printers do not have the build quality of
    >the older lasers, and that you will probably have to buy a usb cable adding
    >a large percentage to the total cost.

    Don't know where you buy your USB cables, but I can't see that a USB
    cable would add a "large percentage" to the total cost.
    ----
    Looking for a GMail invite?
    http://isnoop.net/gmailomatic.php
    ----

    Thanks for your pov, Christopher.

    I'd like to pick up on what you wrote about the build quality of todays
    ~$150 monochrome lasers. My 6L ($400 in 1997) is made almost entirely of
    plastic parts held together by screws, yet it's managed to last for more
    than 7 years. What is it about the current crop of printers that causes you
    to feel that the build quality isn't that great? Perhaps I should spend a
    little more on my next printer if I want it to last another 7 years?

    Ted Zieglar

    > advantages of a new sub $100 laser printer like the minolta 1350w is that
    > has a usb port, prints very fast, and is new and so under warranty. the
    > down side is that many of the new printers do not have the build quality
    of
    > the older lasers, and that you will probably have to buy a usb cable
    adding
    > a large percentage to the total cost. on the other hand, if you get a new
    > computer you may have to get a adapter (usb to parallel cable) to get your
    > old machine to work as many new computers do not come with parallel ports
    in
    > them. as for the two hp models mentioned above (the 6p and 6l) they are
    > both know for developing paper pick up problems that are not economically
    > fixable... hp does (did?) offer a free repair tool that essentially
    inserted
    > a new foam pick up pad into the printer but that only lasts for a certain
    > period of time before the problem comes back... so, if you have a paper
    > pick up problem, are low on toner, and are expecting to buy a new computer
    > in the foreseeable feature then i say it buy a new printer rather than buy
    > toner for your old one.

    > > I'm sort of in the same boat. I have a 7 year old LaserJet 6L. I know
    it's
    > > just a matter of time before the toner starts running low. (It's been on
    > > the
    > > same toner cartidge for a couple of years.) A new toner cartridge is $60
    > > at
    > > Staples but I can buy a whole new printer for about $100. (Just about
    any
    > > laser printer that normally sells for about $150 can be had for much
    less
    > > if
    > > you watch for sales and rebates.)
    > >
    > > So for about $40 more than it would cost to replace the toner cartridge
    in
    > > my old printer, I can get today's printer technology (faster ppm, better
    > > resolution, etc.), a USB connection to my computer and a driver made for
    > > Windows XP.
    > >
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > >
    > > "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
    > >> I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 5 years old) and ink (shadowy
    > > print)
    > >> is finally beginning to streak when I print. I suspect the cartridge
    may
    > >> finally need replacing. A replacement cartridge costs about $75.
    Would
    > >> be better off buying a new printer in the $150-$200 range? Is that
    > >> realistic?
    > >>
    > >> I appreciate your advice and recommendations. (I am biased towards HP
    > >> printers as this one has worked so well for this long.)

    Consider yourself lucky. The design defects in 5L, 6L, 1100 and maybe a couple
    of other models were cause for a class action lawsuit against HP. The
    settlement of the lawsuit was agreement by HP to supply a free kit to remedy
    paper pickup problems. The kit cost pennies to make and provided a stopgap
    solution to the misfeed problems that plagued the printers. The kit is no
    longer available from HP.

    You must have cared well for the printer, feeding it the best of paper, and
    gently doing whatever needed to be done to it so as not to fracture the cheap
    and not very sturdy plastic parts.

    The aforementioned 5L, 6L, etc. were HP's bottom-of-the-line laser printers
    intended for an extremely light duty cycle, even tho they cost $400, a high
    price by today's standards.

    Today's equivalent bottom-of-the-line laser printers, any brand name, are just
    as cheaply made, although they may have improved and more reliable design. Of
    course, as with inkjet printers, the laser printer manufacturers are now
    designing much smaller toner cartridges capable of printing far fewer pages
    before needing replacement. The "justification" for smaller toner cartridges is
    a smaller footprint occupied by the printer. Frankly, I'd rather have a larger
    printer that consumes long-life toner cartridges. I've installed some of these
    el cheapo laser printers for people and the absence of any sturdiness is not
    impressive. Same with the ones I see in the mass market stores.

    I'm not aware of the 6p having the same paper (mis)feed issues as the 5L, 6L,
    etc.

    With any of these older printers, one also needs to consider the markedly lower
    cost of recycled and refilled toner cartridges, from a reliable source, of
    course. The operating costs with refilled cartridges are miniscule.

    I've been using a larger old Hewlett-Packard 5M with JetDirect card. Prints
    fast enough at 12ppm. Has a PowerSave option, so it can be on 24/7. Full
    PostScript capability and maxed out on-board memory, which means no problems
    printing Acrobat PDFs or anything else. Ethernet means that it is networked and
    shared with other people's computers. Ethernet also means much faster
    printing-and-spooling within my computer. The difference here is that the LJ 5M
    is built like a small tank, and just keeps pumping out the paper. It helps that
    I can take one apart partially (4 Philips head screws) and keep the inside clean
    and free of dust and dirt as needed... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:50:53 -0500, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
    >> > I'm sort of in the same boat. I have a 7 year old LaserJet 6L. I know
    >it's
    >> > just a matter of time before the toner starts running low. (It's been on
    >> > the
    >> > same toner cartidge for a couple of years.) A new toner cartridge is $60
    >> > at
    >> > Staples but I can buy a whole new printer for about $100. (Just about
    >any
    >> > laser printer that normally sells for about $150 can be had for much
    >less
    >> > if
    >> > you watch for sales and rebates.)
    >> >
    >> > So for about $40 more than it would cost to replace the toner cartridge
    >in
    >> > my old printer, I can get today's printer technology (faster ppm, better
    >> > resolution, etc.), a USB connection to my computer and a driver made for

    That is a good printer! Get a new cartridge. I have a HP 5P and I love it.

    "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
    >I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 5 years old) and ink (shadowy
    >print)
    > is finally beginning to streak when I print. I suspect the cartridge may
    > finally need replacing. A replacement cartridge costs about $75. Would I
    > be better off buying a new printer in the $150-$200 range? Is that
    > realistic?
    >
    > I appreciate your advice and recommendations. (I am biased towards HP
    > printers as this one has worked so well for this long.)

    And, check out the toner cartridge prices at

    1800ink.com

    to see if you can get a better price.

    --james--

    > Well, I owned both a 6P and 1100, so both form factors.
    >
    > Both died from feed problems. The 6P lasted for years, but the rollers
    > literally melted. It was never high use.
    >
    > The 1100 lasted 18 months. Probably 200 sheets total fed through it.
    >
    > On the other hand, my Dad's 4P is still going strong with lots of use.
    >
    > I bought a Samsung ML-1710. It's been perfect. Goes to sleep, so
    > absolutely silent. USB ONLY!.
    >
    > $79 with rebate. Included full toner cartridge, not a 'demo cartridge'.
    > Lasted forever (just replaced it).
    >
    > It also does a great job of single page and single envelope feed, which is
    > important to me.
    >
    > Highly recommended.
    >
    > Tom

    Tom - what was the approx. cost of the replacement toner cart? Just
    curious -

    Stew

    >> Well, I owned both a 6P and 1100, so both form factors.
    >>
    >> Both died from feed problems. The 6P lasted for years, but the rollers
    >> literally melted. It was never high use.
    >>
    >> The 1100 lasted 18 months. Probably 200 sheets total fed through it.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, my Dad's 4P is still going strong with lots of use.
    >>
    >> I bought a Samsung ML-1710. It's been perfect. Goes to sleep, so
    >> absolutely silent. USB ONLY!.
    >>
    >> $79 with rebate. Included full toner cartridge, not a 'demo cartridge'.
    >> Lasted forever (just replaced it).
    >>
    >> It also does a great job of single page and single envelope feed, which
    >> is important to me.
    >>
    >> Highly recommended.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >

    > Tom - what was the approx. cost of the replacement toner cart? Just
    > curious -
    >

    > Stew

    Well, I've just switched to a new role at work where I work from home. So I
    called the Office assistant and asked for a couple and they arrived a few
    days later -- free :)

    They're $75 at Buy.com The ML1710 and ML1750 seem to use the same
    cartridge.

    Tom

    > The kit cost pennies to make and provided a stopgap
    > solution to the misfeed problems that plagued the printers. The kit is no
    > longer available from HP.
    >
    > You must have cared well for the printer, feeding it the best of paper,
    > and
    > gently doing whatever needed to be done to it so as not to fracture the
    > cheap
    > and not very sturdy plastic parts.

    I bought a 5L in 1996 for $475. After eight years, it finally died last
    year. It had the misfeed problem. I assumed it was just my printer.

    I do not print much. I am currently sending the pages to be printed to
    Kinko's at 8 cents a page.

    Is it cost effective to buy a laser-quality multi-function ink-jet printer
    if the print volume is low? Thanks in advance.

    My fundamental concern about any inkjet printer remains the cost of feeding it
    the ink cartridges. The mass market retailers all have these nearly giveaway
    $49 or $59 inkjet printer deals. Then when it comes time to replace the ink,
    almost always low volume "starter" ink cartridges, the cost is nearly that of
    the original printer price. Add to the high cost of inks the fact that Lexmark
    and HP (and others?) all embed microchips in the ink cartridges to defeat
    refilling and to (sometimes) render a cartridge expired when the expiration date
    has passed, and you have the typical old-time Gilette strategy of giving away
    the razor and making all the money on the blades.

    How does the "printer" figure out that the cartridge is expired? Well, maybe
    not exactly the printer. More likely, the host software interrogates the
    cartridge and declares it expired after a certain date. Bi-directional printer
    interfaces are good for communicating status of the printer hardware and
    cartridges back to the software that spins around in the computer.

    I cannot make any recommendations for inkjet printers and I will not. Shop VERY
    carefully... Ben Myers

    > My fundamental concern about any inkjet printer remains the cost of
    > feeding it
    > the ink cartridges. The mass market retailers all have these nearly
    > giveaway
    > $49 or $59 inkjet printer deals. Then when it comes time to replace the
    > ink,
    > almost always low volume "starter" ink cartridges, the cost is nearly that
    > of
    > the original printer price. Add to the high cost of inks the fact that
    > Lexmark
    > and HP (and others?) all embed microchips in the ink cartridges to defeat
    > refilling and to (sometimes) render a cartridge expired when the
    > expiration date
    > has passed, and you have the typical old-time Gilette strategy of giving
    > away
    > the razor and making all the money on the blades.
    >
    > How does the "printer" figure out that the cartridge is expired? Well,
    > maybe
    > not exactly the printer. More likely, the host software interrogates the
    > cartridge and declares it expired after a certain date. Bi-directional
    > printer
    > interfaces are good for communicating status of the printer hardware and
    > cartridges back to the software that spins around in the computer.
    >
    > I cannot make any recommendations for inkjet printers and I will not.
    > Shop VERY
    > carefully... Ben Myers

    I replaced an older Okidata in need of work (toner and drum) for someone in
    a small office - with an HP 5150 inkjet - as an experiment. Printer itself
    with cable was around $100 then.

    Black carts (#56) can be found for the 5150 for less than $20, and it also
    offers them the choice of the occasional color (and/or photo quality) print.

    That was a year ago, and at 19ppm b/w, they're pleased. I bought one for
    myself as well shortly after.

    Stew

    How do I figure then that changing the toner will suffice? After following
    the thread in here, I am leaning towards purchasing a replacement cartridge
    for my 6p (and hoping my $75 will last me another three or four years). :-)

    However, how do I make sure the streaking I am getting is simply a low toner
    issue and not a break down of other inside components?

    Thanking all for your replies.

    Why risk it?

    I paid $79 for the Samsung laser printer. faster and better quality than
    the HP it replaced.

    Tom

    > Why risk it?
    >
    > I paid $79 for the Samsung laser printer. faster and better quality than
    > the HP it replaced.
    >
    > Tom

    <snip>

    A laser printer for $80? ! What model? As I said in the beginning, I will
    consider paying even $100-$150 but $80 sounds great.

    >> Why risk it?
    >>
    >> I paid $79 for the Samsung laser printer. faster and better quality than
    >> the HP it replaced.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > A laser printer for $80? ! What model? As I said in the beginning, I
    > will
    > consider paying even $100-$150 but $80 sounds great.

    Earlier in the thread, he stated it was an ML-1710 Samsung.....

    Stew

    > "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >>> Why risk it?
    >>>
    >>> I paid $79 for the Samsung laser printer. faster and better quality
    >>> than
    >>> the HP it replaced.
    >>>
    >>> Tom
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> A laser printer for $80? ! What model? As I said in the beginning, I
    >> will
    >> consider paying even $100-$150 but $80 sounds great.
    >>

    > Earlier in the thread, he stated it was an ML-1710 Samsung.....
    >

    > Stew

    And that price was with rebate. Not that uncommon at Best Buy or Circuit
    City.

    For example, here's the ML-1740 at Circuit City for $113.

    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-Laser-Printer-ML-1740-/sem/rpsm/oid/92938/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

    17ppm. Windows and Linux. USB and Parallel (no cables included).

    Does come with a 1000 page starter toner though.

    Tom

    staples, office depot, bestbuy, circuit city are notorious for charging at
    least $25 for a usb cable. considering that the minolta 1350w sells for $99
    i would say that the cable represents a large percentage of the purchase.
    of course you can buy your cable elsewhere but not many people want to take
    home a printer that they can't use... that is probably where the retailers
    make most of their profit.

    > staples, office depot, bestbuy, circuit city are notorious for charging at
    > least $25 for a usb cable. considering that the minolta 1350w sells for
    > $99 i would say that the cable represents a large percentage of the
    > purchase. of course you can buy your cable elsewhere but not many people
    > want to take home a printer that they can't use... that is probably where
    > the retailers make most of their profit.

    Add OfficeMax to that list as well. Damned near $1 per running foot for the
    cable.

    Sites such as newegg are far better....

    Stew

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 23:59:12 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
    <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >staples, office depot, bestbuy, circuit city are notorious for charging at
    >least $25 for a usb cable. considering that the minolta 1350w sells for $99
    >i would say that the cable represents a large percentage of the purchase.
    >of course you can buy your cable elsewhere but not many people want to take
    >home a printer that they can't use... that is probably where the retailers
    >make most of their profit.

    You guys are getting screwed. I paid two bucks a pop for six foot USB
    cables.
    ----
    Looking for a GMail invite?
    http://isnoop.net/gmailomatic.php
    ----

    lower build quality stems from the nature of modern technology and the
    popular mentality of our disposable economy. with technology changing so
    quickly, fierce competition on price, and the generally disposable attitude
    towards new products there is no incentive for superior build quality. new
    machines work well but will not last like the older ones. i still see the
    original laserjet 500 machines in operation from time to time. but
    remember, those cost about half the price of a car in their day. with the
    price of these new machines at just $100, who cares if they last (other than
    the environment).

    in the low price range there are good products from minolta, samsung, and
    brother. the minolta has a direct paper path (paper does not turn 180
    degrees like on the samsung or brother) making it capable of accepting
    thicker stock. the brother is unique in that they have a two part cartridge
    (toner separate from drum) making it much cheaper to add toner but arguable
    cheaper to buy a new model when the drum requires replacement. if you
    happen to need a fax, could see some benefit from a sheet feed scanner, and
    think that you might find some use for a copier, then i suggest that you
    look at the brother mfc-4800. it goes for under $200 and even though it is
    a relatively old model it is still and excellent value. it has the two part
    cartridge making toner replacement cost under $30 (2,200 pages). the drum
    (12,000 pages) however costs as much of the whole machine (with drum). as
    for printer only machines... the minolta 1350w is a great printer for an
    amazing price. the brother hl-1440 is also an amazing value but relatively
    larger than the others yet it does have the two part cartridge. the samsung
    ml-1740 is the best looking of the lot and compact but currently has an
    annoying rebate that allows it to compete with the others on price. the
    brother and the samsung have paper feed from a tray/drawer underneath they
    don't change in size when in use.

    good luck.

    Ted Zieglar wrote:

    > Thanks for your pov, Christopher.
    >
    > I'd like to pick up on what you wrote about the build quality of todays
    > ~$150 monochrome lasers. My 6L ($400 in 1997) is made almost entirely of
    > plastic parts held together by screws, yet it's managed to last for more
    > than 7 years. What is it about the current crop of printers that causes you
    > to feel that the build quality isn't that great? Perhaps I should spend a
    > little more on my next printer if I want it to last another 7 years?

    I bought an HP LJ5L in '97 to replace my 10 year old LJ Series II
    workhorse. Within 2 years it had developed serious paper feed problems
    such that I was hand feeding sheets for printing (it would feed as many
    as a dozen sheets on its own). I didn't find out about HP's repair kit
    until after I'd bought a Samsung ML-1210 in 2002. I replaced the Samsung
    last year with a Brother 8220 Multi-Function unit, which is easily the
    best laser printer I've owned so far (don't know yet if it'll outlast
    the Series II, however, and I doubt it). The Samsung hadn't failed yet,
    but it was making nasty screeching sounds when the print engine fired up
    and I needed a new all-in-one because my old one (an inkjet model) had
    gone tits up.

    Stan wrote:

    >>The kit cost pennies to make and provided a stopgap
    >>solution to the misfeed problems that plagued the printers. The kit is no
    >>longer available from HP.
    >>
    >>You must have cared well for the printer, feeding it the best of paper,
    >>and
    >>gently doing whatever needed to be done to it so as not to fracture the
    >>cheap
    >>and not very sturdy plastic parts.
    >

    > I bought a 5L in 1996 for $475. After eight years, it finally died last
    > year. It had the misfeed problem. I assumed it was just my printer.
    >
    > I do not print much. I am currently sending the pages to be printed to
    > Kinko's at 8 cents a page.
    >
    > Is it cost effective to buy a laser-quality multi-function ink-jet printer
    > if the print volume is low? Thanks in advance.

    I tried that in 2000 and wouldn't recommend it. I'd look into a laser
    all-in-one like the Brother 8220, et al.

    Ben Myers wrote:

    <snip>

    > I cannot make any recommendations for inkjet printers and I will not. Shop VERY
    > carefully... Ben Myers

    I can recommend an Epson [Stylus Photo, I think] R300 ink jet very
    highly. Very good photo prints although it's not a multi-function model.

    Of course, the models I bought last year & can recommend are no longer
    offered for sale. :)

    The Samsung ML-1210 has tits? Wow! That should qualify it as a multi-function
    printer... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 04:29:03 -0500, Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:

    >Ted Zieglar wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for your pov, Christopher.
    >>
    >> I'd like to pick up on what you wrote about the build quality of todays
    >> ~$150 monochrome lasers. My 6L ($400 in 1997) is made almost entirely of
    >> plastic parts held together by screws, yet it's managed to last for more
    >> than 7 years. What is it about the current crop of printers that causes you
    >> to feel that the build quality isn't that great? Perhaps I should spend a
    >> little more on my next printer if I want it to last another 7 years?
    >
    >I bought an HP LJ5L in '97 to replace my 10 year old LJ Series II
    >workhorse. Within 2 years it had developed serious paper feed problems
    >such that I was hand feeding sheets for printing (it would feed as many
    >as a dozen sheets on its own). I didn't find out about HP's repair kit
    >until after I'd bought a Samsung ML-1210 in 2002. I replaced the Samsung
    >last year with a Brother 8220 Multi-Function unit, which is easily the
    >best laser printer I've owned so far (don't know yet if it'll outlast
    >the Series II, however, and I doubt it). The Samsung hadn't failed yet,
    >but it was making nasty screeching sounds when the print engine fired up
    >and I needed a new all-in-one because my old one (an inkjet model) had
    >gone tits up.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    bullseye wrote:

    > I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 5 years old) and ink (shadowy print)
    > is finally beginning to streak when I print. I suspect the cartridge may
    > finally need replacing. A replacement cartridge costs about $75. Would I
    > be better off buying a new printer in the $150-$200 range? Is that
    > realistic?
    >
    > I appreciate your advice and recommendations. (I am biased towards HP
    > printers as this one has worked so well for this long.)

    Are you serious? You've been using a 6P for five years and your
    cartridge is *just* running out? Pretty good, if you ask me!

    Am I correct in assuming that you're using it primarily for B/W
    text? If so, wouldn't it be worth $75 to go another five years?

    Notan
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=28-112-022&depa=1

    you missed a hellavu good deal of this one. mine is coming this Friday.
    i'm tired of handfeeding my HP5L. friggin' paper feed didn't even out last
    the original toner cartridge.
    no more hp's for me. for $82 I don't think i can lose. word on the street
    is it is half decent.

    "bullseye" <bullseye35@deletetheextrastuff@excite.com> wrote in message
    > I have an HP LaserJet 6p (a little over 5 years old) and ink (shadowy
    print)
    > is finally beginning to streak when I print. I suspect the cartridge may
    > finally need replacing. A replacement cartridge costs about $75. Would I
    > be better off buying a new printer in the $150-$200 range? Is that
    > realistic?
    >
    > I appreciate your advice and recommendations. (I am biased towards HP
    > printers as this one has worked so well for this long.)

  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    (Two replies in one;)

    Thanking all for your input, I bought the toner. I had an Office Depot gift
    card worth around $74 making my out of pocket expense $6 with the $2.50
    credit for the returned toner. (Pages are coming out printed much cooler
    with the new toner; I had noticed a significant increase in temperature with
    my prints with the older one.)

    I also had an out of memory problem a few years back with my 6p and solved
    it by buying and installing additional memory (6 megs?).

    <big snip>

    > Are you serious? You've been using a 6P for five years and your
    > cartridge is *just* running out? Pretty good, if you ask me!
    >
    > Am I correct in assuming that you're using it primarily for B/W
    > text? If so, wouldn't it be worth $75 to go another five years?
    >
    > Notan
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Good deal!

    A little while back, my 6P's "Fuser Exit Rollers" had a (literal)
    meltdown, and I thought that it might be time for a new printer.

    I, too, am an HP Printer fan and, in looking for a 6P-equivalent
    replacement, found that I'd have to spend $500+.

    A quick online visit found the Rollers for less than $20, and I'm
    back with my workhorse (albeit, a little slower than some of today's
    printers).

    See ya!

    Notan

    bullseye wrote:

    > (Two replies in one;)
    >
    > Thanking all for your input, I bought the toner. I had an Office Depot gift
    > card worth around $74 making my out of pocket expense $6 with the $2.50
    > credit for the returned toner. (Pages are coming out printed much cooler
    > with the new toner; I had noticed a significant increase in temperature with
    > my prints with the older one.)
    >
    > I also had an out of memory problem a few years back with my 6p and solved
    > it by buying and installing additional memory (6 megs?).
    >
    > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    > <big snip>
    >
    > > Are you serious? You've been using a 6P for five years and your
    > > cartridge is *just* running out? Pretty good, if you ask me!
    > >
    > > Am I correct in assuming that you're using it primarily for B/W
    > > text? If so, wouldn't it be worth $75 to go another five years?
    > >
    > > Notan

Dell Hewlett Packard Printers Computers