Removing old OS

I upgraded to XP Pro from 98SE; I chose keep old files; How do I now remove
the old Windows 98SE file?

Hi rontay,

In Add/Remove Programs, there should be an entry called "Windows XP
Uninstall". Click on "Windows XP Uninstall" to highlight it, then click on
the Change/Remove button. Select the option to "Remove the backup of my
previous operating system", and then click on Continue. Click on Yes when
you receive the "If you remove the backup of your previous operating system,
you will no longer be able to uninstall Windows XP. Are you sure you want to
do this?" warning message.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"rontay" <rontay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I upgraded to XP Pro from 98SE; I chose keep old files; How do I now remove
> the old Windows 98SE file?

Hi Patti,
I read your reply to rontay re: removing the old os after installing XP. If
I follow your instructions and reply "yes", then I won't be able to uninstall
XP in the future -- is this correct? Also, in removing the old operating
system, will I lose any files? I'm functioning properly in XP, but would
like to free up used space on my hard drive.
Thanks

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> Hi rontay,
>
> In Add/Remove Programs, there should be an entry called "Windows XP
> Uninstall". Click on "Windows XP Uninstall" to highlight it, then click on
> the Change/Remove button. Select the option to "Remove the backup of my
> previous operating system", and then click on Continue. Click on Yes when
> you receive the "If you remove the backup of your previous operating system,
> you will no longer be able to uninstall Windows XP. Are you sure you want to
> do this?" warning message.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "rontay" <rontay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I upgraded to XP Pro from 98SE; I chose keep old files; How do I now remove
> > the old Windows 98SE file?

TRENDING THREADS