How can i get more channels with my ati card

dominic030

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2004
I have an All in wonder 9600 card. The cable is plugged directly into it. The cable box is in the other room. I only get the 50 basic cable channels that you can recieve without the need of the box. Is there a way i can get the totally amount of channels my card allows? Do i need to get a box for my room with the computer and run it through that?... Or is there another way? Please help

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I don't understand the problem... Because usally the AIW can scan through all channels without problems.

Your "cable box" is this a "digital cable box". If it's a digital cable decoder, it's normal that the AIW can't play the digital channel. AIW have can play analog TV channel. AIW do not currently support digital TV.

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

dominic030

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2004
No, it's not a digital cable box. Yes the AIW did scan through my channels. It can only scan and recieve the ones that are not scrambeled though which is basic cable (50 or so channels). I get many more channels through my cable box. Non pay channels too...but you need the cable box to recieve them. Since the cable to my computer is routed before it enters the cable box i do not get an unscrambled signal. Is there a way to get the 120 channels that my AIW card allows?

cleeve

Illustrious
In the Ati TV app, options, TV tuner tab: Are you sure you have the "Cable" radi button selected and not the "Antenna" button selected?

dominic030

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2004
Yes, everything is set to cable and not antenna. I do get cable channels. I just get the small amount not requiring the box to descramble them to recieve them.

cleeve

Illustrious
Well, the AIW isn't a desccrambler, so you're going to have to hook it up AFTER your cable box, and change channels with your cable box.

Blame your cable company. They are too cheap to put the descrambler/converter on your line and thereby you are stuck with THEIR restrictions. If ATI had to account for that you'd have over a dozen different AIWs and they'd cost $50-100 more. If you want a built in descrambler there is basically ONE combination choice. Hauppauge used with Comcast cable, and even they've discontinued that product it seems (don't see it on their site anymore).

Software based decoding isn't a likely option as it would be easily replicated and distributed regardless of encryption/protection measures.

I have digital cable and satellite, and on my 'basic' unscrambled part of my cable, I have channels ranging from 1-50 and 60-80 and 117-123, so it works for me then. For the premium scrambled stuff, you have the same options as the rest of us. Get an IR blaster that controls your black-box (not cheap and a pain to program IMO), program the digital descrambler's timer, or learn to live with it.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Yeah i didnt pay that much for the card but i didnt think of everything when i bought it either.
HE HE HE!! So forget about "ripping" PayPerView movies if you go through your cable box first!

Now, you are aware that TV tuner in Video Cards are like any other TV tuners (TV, VCR, etc...) They can't descramble signal or decode digital video and it's normal. Cable company needs to make money. If these cards would descramble/decode everything, no one would buy premium package from cable company.

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

dhlucke

Polypheme
Pay your cable guy under the table to remove the bandpass filter on your line outside.

<font color=red>___________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=39826#39826" target="_new">Sexual Poll!</A></b>